What Would You Do With This Team Over the Offseason?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Well, that Round 1 exit sucked, to put it mildly.

Here's my wish list:

1. I'm not as down on Keefe as many are, but it's time for a coaching change regardless of his performance.
2. Marner isn't some glaring liability by any stretch, but if we have the opportunity to move him for a fair price, I'd do it at this point.
3. Matthews is fine in the playoffs, he's not the problem.
4. I'm fine with keeping Tavares through until the end of his contract, though I know that's maybe an unpopular opinion. Certainly don't want to resign him unless his price goes waaaaaaaay down, but I don't think a buyout is warranted.
5. Keep Domi, move on from Bertuzzi.
6. Woll is the #1, that's pretty obvious, let Sammy walk.
7. Resign Knies/Dewar/Gregor when their RFA time comes.
8. I don't know if there's a way to get value from Liljgren's contract, a sign and trade or whatever, but would like to see him gone. I had high hopes from him but seems like he's just not figuring it out in Toronto for whatever the reason is.
9. Cya Brodie.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Dream:
Fire Keefe+Shanahan
Put the core on the market and try and get equal/greater value for any of them
Strip and trade Tavares

Reality of what will happen; probably nothing, maybe Keefe gets fired (depends on how much respect he got from Montgomery)

Reactions: Al14 and OddyOh

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Get rid of anybody who is an assistant coach or higher

Fire Marner out of a cannon into the sun

Ask Tavares to take a pay cut like 80% or so

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
WN, MM, AM, JT and MR are all under contract next year. It will be the same group with Tre filling in around the margins (once more). We are stuck with this shit group.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
#1 Acknowledge that Nylander and Marner are not franchise wingers, Matthews is not a francise center, Rielly is not a 1D and Tavares is not a top 6 player

#2 Realize you have commited 13.25n 11.5M and 7.5M to non core level pieces above for long term

#3. Accept that we cant change shit and just wait marner + tavares out while being playoff fodder 2024-2025 season

#4 Rinse and Repeat until 34, 44 and 88 are UFAs unless Cowan and Greb are franchise rookies somehow

We are so badly f***ed that this type of thread is useless

We need a legit wonder boy type miracle of a run from a GM to turn this around the next 2 years

Last edited:

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. Yes. I was warming up to Bertuzzi after complaining about him a lot during the season, but he was pretty meh toward the end of the series. Don't care too much either way. If he is brought back, it should be for less money.
6. Yes. Try Woll as a starter. If it's not working, get a friggen goalie.
7. Obviously they have to re-sign Knies. Gregor and Dewar are whatever. Don't care.
8. Yeah, he's been here for years and just never seems to come into his own. He's basically a lackluster top six d. Maybe this is all he is.
9. Yes.
10. Not sure how I feel about Jankrok at this point. For his salary he's decent enough in the season, but the guy simply can't score in the playoffs. One goal by him would have won TOR this series.
11. Basically echo comments above about Lily for Robertson. Is this guy ever going to take that next step? Maybe it's time for him to go if they won't give him a bigger role.

Have Matthews, Nylander, Domi, Tavares, Knies, McMann in the top six.

Have Rielly, Benoit, McCabe on defense. Maybe #20 and/or #46 as well. Let the old Flames guys go.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Asking this question right now:
1714886057248.jpeg

Not sure how I’ll feel later.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
WN, MM, AM, JT and MR are all under contract next year. It will be the same group with Tre filling in around the margins (once more). We are stuck with this shit group.
Yep. Listen to Auston after the game. This is the tightest group he thinks they’ve ever had, admits he says that every year, but this time he really means it. Very tight group. So he wants them back, expect it to happen

L3af

Sep 24, 2018
Some of you are truly morons.
Try and get Marner to move NTC.
Fire coaching staff + Shanny.
Protect Wes Clark at all costs.
Re-Sign Domi & Edmonson.
Let Bert go unless he takes less money. He doesnt produce enough for what he's paid.
Find a 1A/B for Woll who isn't ready for a full work load.
UFA Stuff depends on who makes it. Montour/Stammer/Marchessault/Reinhart are interesting.
Would love a guy like Clutterbuck for the 4th line.

Last edited:

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
#1 Acknowledge that Nylander and Marner are not franchise wingers, Matthews is not a francise center, Rielly is not a 1D and Tavares is not a top 6 player

#2 Realize you have commited 13.25n 11.5M and 7.5M to non core level pieces above for long term

#3. Accept that we cant change shit and just wall marner + tavares out while being playoff fodder 2024-2025 season

#4 Rinse and Repeat until 34, 44 and 88 are UFAs unless Cowan and Greb are franchise rookies somehow

We are so badly f***ed that this type of thread is useless

We need a legit wonder boy type miracle of a run from a GM to turn this around the next 2 years

I think Matthews is definitely a franchise centre.

I'm not a die-hard fan or anything, but the guy's won three Rocket Richard trophies and will probably be top five in Hart voting for the third time in his career this year. Objectively speaking, that's a franchise centre. If teams are building around guys like Hughes and Pettersson, I don't see how he's a worse choice.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I think Matthews is definitely a franchise centre.

I'm not a die-hard fan or anything, but the guy's won three Rocket Richard trophies and will probably be top five in Hart voting for the third time in his career this year. Objectively speaking, that's a franchise centre. If teams are building around guys like Hughes and Pettersson, I don't see how he's a worse choice.
Matthews sees his production fall off a cliff come playoffs which f***s us over big time

I also dont know if the other two are franchise centers either

If matthews is a franchise C, why cant he ever generate high amount of assists and chances for his wingers?

His goal scoring dies come playoffs but I would expect his play maming to step up. He cant even put ppg as a player in the playoffs

Extremely concerning. He seems more like Joe Thoe type player than a Crosby/Mack/Mcd type playoff player

Reactions: seventieslord

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
The entire coaching staff is likely gone.

Pay them, and let them go.

Offer the moon to the whole staff in Carolina. All of it!

The core players are not THE problem, but they sure as shit haven't been the solution yet.

Domi earned a deal with term.
Edmonson also.

Liljigren needs to go.

Brodie is done, he should retire.

Sign lyubushkin for a year or 2.

Get a f***ing right handed defenseman who can hit 95+ mph routinely. Put that f***er on the point, hurt Rielly's feelings!

Kampf is just a guy.
Holmberg, Gregor, and a bunch of others are also just guys....

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Taking a step back by failing to win a playoff round this season absolutely necessitates a certain degree of change. The easiest place(s) to look to for that will always be anything which does not require the involvement of a rival team (coaching staff and/or management, letting go of pending UFAs, etc.)

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Matthews sees his production fall off a cliff come playoffs which f***s us over big time

I also dont know if the other two are franchise centers either

If matthews is a franchise C, why cant he ever generate high amount of assists and chances for his wingers?

His goal scoring dies come playoffs but I would expect his play maming to step up. He cant even put ppg as a player in the playoffs

Extremely concerning. He seems more like Joe Thoe type player than a Crosby/Mack/Mcd type playoff player

I agree that he hasn't played up to par in the playoffs in the past.

This year I think it's hard to judge properly, though, He was sick and he did have one strong game and he assisted on the only goal in game seven. I'm sure they won't move him, so we have to hope he won't become the Thornton/Stamkos of his generation (in the playoffs).

Reactions: hamzarocks

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Domi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-JT-XXX
McMann-Holmberg-Robertson
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-XXX
McCabe-Benoit
Edmundson-XXX
Timmins

Woll
XXX

Trade Marner, Lily, Jarnkrok. Strip JT of the C and give it to Auston.

• Haha
Reactions: exporta

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
run it back, with a different coaching staff. re-sign anyone that they can (no overpayments), obviously there are players that you might want to move on from (ie: samsonov). if shit fails again, tavares and marner are off the books by then. thats a ton of money. figure it out then. realistically, doesnt make much sense for either marner or tavares to waive there nmc so we are stuck with them.

Last edited:

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I’d try to resign Domi and Bertuzzi and I’d make sure Marner was gone before next season starts. I’d also start interviewing new coaching staff and rip the C off Tavares.

I really like the depth on D. Lybushkin needs to stay and Benoit needs to be in the lineup every night. I’d inquire about just about every RD potentially available including possibly Seth Jones who could be afforded without Marner’s deal. Him and Pesce looked pretty bad this year though so I’d consult my pro scouts a lot on that call.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
-fire Keefe
-get rid of JT
-offer Marner the exact same deal as Willie and if he wants more then get rid of him
-let Brodie/Gio walk
-depending on price/term re-sign Domi/Bert
-re-sign Sammy if he's willing to sign for 2 yrs at around 3m per

those are the major ones , will edit later after i'm not on tilt , lol

Reactions: exporta

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Shanny fired
Keefer fired
Mitch traded or sits at home (should get a D and 24 pick back)
Rielly traded (should get a D and 24 pick back)
JT on LTIR for a season to help out on roster reconstruction (no one is trading for him no one)
Lily resigned for 1 year and you tell him if he can't get stronger on puck you are trading him to TDL (his last dance)

then sign FA C and a couple FA D

let 2 rook Cs play next season to see what they got

sign Jones and play Jones, Woll and Hildeby (need to assess G next year)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Max Domi - Auston Matthews - Matthew Knies
Bobby McMann - Chandler Stephenson - William Nylander
Calle Jarnkrok - John Tavares - Shane Wright
Connor Dewar - David Kampf - Noah Gregor

Brady Skjei - Adam Larsson
Morgan Rielly - Matt Roy
Simon Benoit - Jake McCabe

Laurent Brossoit
Joseph Woll

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Shanny fired
Keefer fired
Mitch traded or sits at home (should get a D and 24 pick back)
Rielly traded (should get a D and 24 pick back)
JT on LTIR for a season to help out on roster reconstruction (no one is trading for him no one)
Lily resigned for 1 year and you tell him if he can't get stronger on puck you are trading him to TDL (his last dance)

then sign FA C and a couple FA D

let 2 rook Cs play next season to see what they got

sign Jones and play Jones, Woll and Hildeby (need to assess G next year)
Agree mostly except Jones part. S
top f***ing around and go for a legit goalie.

Reactions: TMLife17

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Rielly-XXX
McCabe-Benoit
Edmundson-XXX
Timmins

I liked their defense in the playoffs (certainly a HELL of a lot more than their offense), but can we be confident all those guys would perform well in the season together?

They play a different game in the season (one that's better suited for their forwards). Would so many physical type d-men be that effective then?

Reactions: Leafshater67

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Agree mostly except Jones part. S
top f***ing around and go for a legit goalie.
There are NONE available this summer .. and we don't need someone else's garbage .. Sammy can be very good but he has too many mental health problems for a no 1 .. we need to see if Woll or Hildeby can be da guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad