Value of: What would Calgary Flames offer for the Sens 7th pick?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Sens <-- Kadri, Andersson, Markstrom

Flames <-- #7, #25, Chychrun, Korpisalo

Calgary would then look to flip Chychrun for additional picks/prospects

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Calgary would then look to flip Chychrun for additional picks/prospects
That trade would solve a ton of issues for the Sens. It would give Calgary some good futures. I'd do it. There's just a lot of guys who need to waive NTCs in this. Might make it tough. Would pretty much guarantee we're picking top 5 for the next 3 years.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The cost to move up 2 picks is not another first. If anything it would be one of the 2nd round picks the Flames have at most.

When you're moving up in the top 10 range, the price can definitely be that high.

No way in hell I'd accept a 2nd round pick to move out of the top 7.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
There are no reasonable circumstances under which the Senators can trade the 7th pick.

They traded their 1st rounders in 2022 and 2023 and got close to nothing out of those deals. The guy they drafted in 2021 is a complete write-off, and they have to forfeit either their 2025 or 2026 pick to the league for the Evgeni Dadonov fiasco.

Can't happen.
Not sure that I agree with this. I understand that you should be hesitant to move additional 1st’s given that Boucher is likely gonna be a bust and you lost value on Debrincat and Chychrun, but imo this mindset demonstrates the sunk cost fallacy at its finest.

As an outsider, I think the Sens desperately need a top-pair defensive RHD, a goalie, and some veteran help up front. A 7th overall pick could be great 3 years down the road, but I’m not sure that’s what you guys need. Not saying trade the pick for an older goalie like Markstrom or anything (that would be a horrible move for the Sens), but Rasmus Andersson or someone like that with more term remaining on his current deal could be much more valuable to the Sens than a 7th overall imo.

All that to say, I wouldn’t want my GM to have this ‘can’t trade 1sts’ mindset if my team has a very good young core and just needs those specific pieces to fill it out. Everything should be on the table for the right player, even another 1st.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
You think Calgary would trade 9+Markstrom for 7+Korpisalo?

That's horrible for Calgary.
I dont want Markstrom not the goalie i'd spend that pick on he's 35

I'd rather go after Ullmark or Ashkarov

If it was the 7th for Ullmark I'd do it in a heartbeat

but the sens do not need a 35 year old goalie

I’d be fine with

Markstrom + 28

For Korpisalo + 7

Ottawa can have Mangiapane too if they want
Nope we dont need Markstrom

I want a younger goalie to with upside for the 7th not a 35 year old who could fall off at anytime

Reactions: scout20

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I dont want Markstrom not the goalie i'd spend that pick on he's 35

I'd rather go after Ullmark or Ashkarov

If it was the 7th for Ullmark I'd do it in a heartbeat

but the sens do not need a 35 year old goalie

Nope we dont need Markstrom

I want a younger goalie to with upside for the 7th not a 35 year old who could fall off at anytime

You might want a "younger goalie" but the Sens management would love to have Markstrom and veterans to help the team make the playoffs. The team has been a gong show on and off the ice and management probably most likely want to fix that.

IF there is a

The Sens look at this package and they probably think very hard and long about it and there can be changes of course.

Heck, if that trade is on the table and Chychrun hears about it, he may want to stay and the Sens offer something else because Chychrun wants to stay.

All I know the is that the Sens need to make the playoffs and give the fans something to cheer for or another rebuild is coming.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
History of picks 6-8 from 2010-2019

Hughes Seider Cozens Tkachuk Keller Werenski Nylander Monahan Zibenejad Scheifele Coutourier
Middlestadt Zacha Provorov Nurse Risto Lindholm Dumba Skinner
Connolly Virtanen Zadina
Boqvist Glass
Burmistrov Fleury Pouliot
Broberg
Nylander Andersson

37% chance of getting an absolute stud
63% chance of getting a top 3 dman/top 6 forward
and almost everyone turns into an NHLer
Not seeing those as top 3D or top 6F

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
You might want a "younger goalie" but the Sens management would love to have Markstrom and veterans to help the team make the playoffs. The team has been a gong show on and off the ice and management probably most likely want to fix that.

IF there is a

The Sens look at this package and they probably think very hard and long about it and there can be changes of course.

Heck, if that trade is on the table and Chychrun hears about it, he may want to stay and the Sens offer something else because Chychrun wants to stay.

All I know the is that the Sens need to make the playoffs and give the fans something to cheer for or another rebuild is coming.
We dont want or need Markstrom, were not trading 21sts for a goalie whos going to be good for 1 year max and then start to decline.

NTY and the SENS do not need a center they need wingers preferably a top 6, we already have Norris, Stutzle and Pinto, we don't need Kadri, it makes no sense to pay 3 centers on the team 7+m Andersson is an interesting piece but there is no way the Sens trade 2 firsts while taking on that much Salary.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That trade would solve a ton of issues for the Sens. It would give Calgary some good futures. I'd do it. There's just a lot of guys who need to waive NTCs in this. Might make it tough. Would pretty much guarantee we're picking top 5 for the next 3 years.
That would solve some issues for Calgary, for sure.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Not sure that I agree with this. I understand that you should be hesitant to move additional 1st’s given that Boucher is likely gonna be a bust and you lost value on Debrincat and Chychrun, but imo this mindset demonstrates the sunk cost fallacy at its finest.

As an outsider, I think the Sens desperately need a top-pair defensive RHD, a goalie, and some veteran help up front. A 7th overall pick could be great 3 years down the road, but I’m not sure that’s what you guys need. Not saying trade the pick for an older goalie like Markstrom or anything (that would be a horrible move for the Sens), but Rasmus Andersson or someone like that with more term remaining on his current deal could be much more valuable to the Sens than a 7th overall imo.

All that to say, I wouldn’t want my GM to have this ‘can’t trade 1sts’ mindset if my team has a very good young core and just needs those specific pieces to fill it out. Everything should be on the table for the right player, even another 1st.
The sens giving up 7th overall to go all in with 2 years of Rasmus Andersson would be an absolute disaster, especially when he wouldn't even guarantee them a playoff birth, let alone further success. If they haven't learned to stop this from the Chychrun and Debrincat fiascos I don't know what will teach them

Reactions: SNES

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yep

100% chance you get a stud or a top 3D or top 6F.

37% chance of getting an absolute stud
63% chance of getting a top 3 dman/top 6 forward
All studs are top 3/6 players.

So 11 studs (top row)
19 top 3D/top 6 forwards (top 2 rows)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
That would solve some issues for Calgary, for sure.
Not really. Our biggest issue is Huberdeau and there's no solving that. Our second biggest issue is we have no core except perhaps Wolf. That's at least a 4 year project to solve.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
Oops. No point in posting with you. I see you.
You're really going to post a screenshot from a jfresh article about his rookie season and act like that's some type of gotcha? Newsflash he didn't have a great rookie season.
Yet you conveniently don't want to show any of the other jack hughes player cards?

Reactions: dgibb10

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You're really going to post a screenshot from a jfresh article about his rookie season and act like that's some type of gotcha? Newsflash he didn't have a great rookie season.
Yet you conveniently don't want to show any of the other jack hughes player cards?

READ the posts. I'm not trying to denigrate Hughes. I'm saying Jfresh cards are dumb dumb analytics. He's making the argument Nurse, Ristolainen and Dumba are high end defensemen and attempting to use JFresh cards to do it. I'm pointing out JFresh cards aren't real analytics. They are entertainment for people who don't understand statistical analysis.

He's a Devils fan so I'm using Hughes to do it. It's from his 2nd year btw. If he was a Rags fan I'd use Schneider. If he was a Canucks fan I'd use EP40 ect.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I think the Flames have 2 pieces the Sens could use. One being Rasmus Andersson. The other being Markstrom. Taking back Korpisalo and sending Markstrom for #7 is something I'd do. Andersson for #7 is something I'd do. I don't see what else we have that really would be worth that pick except Wolf who isn't available.
Agreed it’s what they need. Not sure on value but he would be a perfect fit for the sens. That D corps needs guys who can really defend. I like Sanderson a lot but the others woof

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
We dont want or need Markstrom, were not trading 21sts for a goalie whos going to be good for 1 year max and then start to decline.

NTY and the SENS do not need a center they need wingers preferably a top 6, we already have Norris, Stutzle and Pinto, we don't need Kadri, it makes no sense to pay 3 centers on the team 7+m Andersson is an interesting piece but there is no way the Sens trade 2 firsts while taking on that much Salary.

I don’t know friend. Seems more than fair and if the sens want to contend for the playoffs and create a culture shock adding those three would go a long way.

Stutzle and Pinto are locks in the middle but I’m not sure Norris’ best spot is down the middle long term. He’d look great at RW taking one timers with Kadri and a worker at LW.

If Sens management is tired of waiting this offer gives them a real shot at the playoffs.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
READ the posts. I'm not trying to denigrate Hughes. I'm saying Jfresh cards are dumb dumb analytics. He's making the argument Nurse, Ristolainen and Dumba are high end defensemen and attempting to use JFresh cards to do it. I'm pointing out JFresh cards aren't real analytics. They are entertainment for people who don't understand statistical analysis.

He's a Devils fan so I'm using Hughes to do it. It's from his 2nd year btw. If he was a Rags fan I'd use Schneider. If he was a Canucks fan I'd use EP40 ect.
The Jfresh cards actually in general aren't kind at all to nurse risto or dumba. I called them top 3 dman because those were the roles they played. In Risto and Nurse's case, the role they played was number 1 dmen. If you can find a 23 minute a night dman for your team at a 900k cap hit that is a massive bargain.

How much do you think it costs in UFA to find a guy to play 23 minutes a night for you?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Thought I was in some weird alternate reality at the beginning of this thread. No chance Markstrom could pull a top 10 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad