Speculation: What will Rantanen’s contract demand be (post Draisaitl signing)?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I would think Rantanen and his agent were probably waiting for the Draisaitl deal to take place before they landed on their number. Have any Avs fans heard anything about negotiations? Does 12.5 x 8 sound realistic? It keeps MacK the highest paid player on the team, but also reflects Rantanen’s value in relation to the Draisaitl deal.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Linds

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Pastrnak (IMO the closest comparable for him as a player) signed with a 13.47% of the cap. That would be around 12.4M if the cap is 92ish million starting next season.

12x8=96 to match his jersey number. Get that done and call it a day.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He waited on Marner last time despite having almost identical comps the two seasons prior and look how much lower he was than Marner

I still think he’ll wait on Marner
That's assuming Toronto is pushing to sign Marner

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
That's assuming Toronto is pushing to sign Marner
Ferris/Marner already said they not discussing during the season. Haven't heard about any serious talks trying to extend him this summer. If rant is waiting for Marner, he's going to be waiting months to sign a new contract.

Reactions: Ciao

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
He waited on Marner last time despite having almost identical comps the two seasons prior and look how much lower he was than Marner

I still think he’ll wait on Marner

The year before they signed their contracts, Marner led his team in scoring, while playing with Tavares and Hyman, and was 4th in the NHL in assists that season. He also got Selke votes that season. He had a legitimate argument for being the best player on the team going forward, and his agent had a lot of leverage to use to maximize his pay.

Rantanen didn't lead his team in scoring, wasn't 4th in assists, and didn't get Selke votes. He scored at a slightly higher rate, but was playing with MacKinnon and Landeskog on the best line in hockey, so that might not be reflective of Rantanen's skills by comparison. Hard to see his agent having anywhere close to the same leverage in those negotiations.

Now, he helped win a Cup, has a couple of 100 point seasons, and a 50 goal season. He should set the bar this time.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The year before they signed their contracts, Marner led his team in scoring, while playing with Tavares and Hyman, and was 4th in the NHL in assists that season. He also got Selke votes that season. He had a legitimate argument for being the best player on the team going forward, and his agent had a lot of leverage to use to maximize his pay.

Rantanen didn't lead his team in scoring, wasn't 4th in assists, and didn't get Selke votes. He scored at a slightly higher rate, but was playing with MacKinnon and Landeskog on the best line in hockey, so that might not be reflective of Rantanen's skills by comparison. Hard to see his agent having anywhere close to the same leverage in those negotiations.

Now, he helped win a Cup, has a couple of 100 point seasons, and a 50 goal season. He should set the bar this time.
Past 2 seasons before signing
Mitch Marner = 163 points
Mikko Rantanen = 171 Points
-
Mitch Marner= 164 GP
Mikko Rantanen= 155 GP

pretty sound argument, dubas just folded like a cheap suit and allowed Ferris to make Matthews his comp

Reactions: nturn06

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
12-12.5. That seems like where it is heading.
And no, Marner is not close as a player. Rantanen 10 times out of 10...

Reactions: Ghetty Green

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Past 2 seasons before signing
Mitch Marner = 163 points
Mikko Rantanen = 171 Points
-
Mitch Marner= 164 GP
Mikko Rantanen= 155 GP

pretty sound argument, dubas just folded like a cheap suit and allowed Ferris to make Matthews his comp

Marner led the Leafs in scoring each of those seasons, while Rantanen was 10+ points behind his linemate. I'm pretty sure "I'm your best player, pay me like it" is an even better argument than having bigger raw numbers because you're on the best line in hockey.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Marner led the Leafs in scoring each of those seasons, while Rantanen was 10+ points behind his linemate. I'm pretty sure "I'm your best player, pay me like it" is an even better argument than having bigger raw numbers because you're on the best line in hockey.
except anybody with a brain knew he wasnt.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
At least $12M, with an argument to get $13M.

$12.5M would be my guess for the clean $100M, but I could maybe see him opting for that $12M deal to get his number at $96M as well.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Willie Nylander is a good comp. Or Drai.

Best pick the one that’s best for Rantanens pocketbook. He’s EARNED it!

Reactions: Seanaconda

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
except anybody with a brain knew he wasnt.

Obviously, but the truth doesn't really matter in negotiations. His agent could still make the argument that he was, repeat the fact that he led the team in scoring the previous two seasons and was 4th in the NHL in assists in his last ELC year and use all of that as leverage to get paid close to what Matthews got. What exactly are the Leafs going to do to counter that, play hardball and risk their leading scorer becoming disgruntled? I'm sure that would be great for GM job security in Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad