What will Canada's Winter Olympic Roster look like in 2026?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
My lines heading into the 2024 off-season for 4 Nations:

Bedard-McDavid-Hyman
Laf-MacKinnon-Point
Verhaege-Crosby-Reinhart
Johnston-Thomas-Marner
EXTRAS: Barzal and Marchand

Toews-Makar
Morrisey-Dobson
Theodore-Doughty
Bouchard

Hill
Thompson
Skinner

I think Bedard will prove a lot of people wrong on here next season and is Canada's best pure shooter. IF NY finally gives Laf PP1 time, I think he engrains himself as a superstar. Hard to leave Mark Stone off the roster, but considering the timing of the tournament, he may be LTIR and Ithink Reinhart fills that gap for Canada already.

Goaltending is rough, but if Skinner shows up this Stanley Cup finals, I have more faith in him over guys like Binnington, Kuemper or Ingram

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Because there is literally no chance that Hockey Canada won't find a way to reverse the ban in time for Cale Makar to play.
Makar, an NCAA player, couldn’t have even been named in the initial lawsuit, which was against 8 CHL players. Robert Thomas is a more interesting case but if Makar is still banned it will be completely unjust

Last edited:

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I still can't understand why Montour is not on more peoples lists.
It’s cause Makar and Dobson exist as better puck movers on RHD. Would rather opt for Doughty, Pietrangelo, or Weegar for a more defensive option. Could take him as a spare part, but are you taking him over Morrisey, Theodore, or Bouchard as an offensive option?

Reactions: wetcoast

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It’s cause Makar and Dobson exist as better puck movers on RHD. Would rather opt for Doughty, Pietrangelo, or Weegar for a more defensive option. Could take him as a spare part, but are you taking him over Morrisey, Theodore, or Bouchard as an offensive option?
Good points.

But Weegar as a better defensive option? I think that's stretching it.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Good points.

But Weegar as a better defensive option? I think that's stretching it.
Absolutely. When watching him play and the advanced metrics, Weegar is a solid defensive option. Really smart player with a good stick, blocks shots and is rarely out of position.

With that being said I would opt for other options over Weegar, but there’s not many better defensive options than Weegar at RHD.

Reactions: jj cale

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I'm interested to see if Canada's management team selects Bouchard to the 4 Nations Cup team or eventually the Olympics team. I didn't have him on my team earlier in the season, but as I've watched him play throughout the playoffs I've been really impressed with his overall level of play and creativity at the point. I also really like his transition game. He's a helluva lot more than just a big bomb from the point (which is in itself a valuable commodity at the best on best level...see: Weber, Shea).

It'd be interesting to see him paired with a more defensive-minded LHD and deployed with the McDavid line as a 5-man unit. Maybe Morrissey would work but ideally his partner would be more physical; the others I had in mind, however, are RHD (Doughty, Pietrangelo). Bouchard has a knack for quickly finding McDavid in stride, in open ice, leading to a really effective transition game and chances off the rush. I think that would be an interesting look and a way to use existing chemistry as an effective way of optimizing McDavid.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm interested to see if Canada's management team selects Bouchard to the 4 Nations Cup team or eventually the Olympics team. I didn't have him on my team earlier in the season, but as I've watched him play throughout the playoffs I've been really impressed with his overall level of play and creativity at the point. I also really like his transition game. He's a helluva lot more than just a big bomb from the point (which is in itself a valuable commodity at the best on best level...see: Weber, Shea).

It'd be interesting to see him paired with a more defensive-minded LHD and deployed with the McDavid line as a 5-man unit. Maybe Morrissey would work but ideally his partner would be more physical; the others I had in mind, however, are RHD (Doughty, Pietrangelo). Bouchard has a knack for quickly finding McDavid in stride, in open ice, leading to a really effective transition game and chances off the rush. I think that would be an interesting look and a way to use existing chemistry as an effective way of optimizing McDavid.
Bouchard with either Doughty or Piietro on a 5 man McDavid unit would be unreal and I think Bedard is in serious contention for the Rocket by the Olympics.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
1719587612750.png

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Bedard - McDavid - Hyman
Johnston - MacKinnon - Marner
Marchand - Crosby - Point
Barzal - Thomas - Stone
OReilly/Byfield/Reinhart/Verhaeghe/RNH/Jarvis/Suzuki/Konecny

Toews - Makar
Morrissey - Doughty
Theodore - Bouchard
Dobson/Pietro/Ekblad/Weegar

Hill
Skinner
Binnington

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Because there is literally no chance that Hockey Canada won't find a way to reverse the ban in time for Cale Makar to play.
From Chris Johnston at The Athletic this morning:

"Makar was a member of Canada's 2018 word junior team and had previously been included among a team-wide ban from international competition because of sexual assault charges laid against five of his teammates.

Makar has repeatedly denied having any involvement in the alleged incident that happened in London, Ontario, after an event to celebrate that team's gold-medal victory. He was cleared to participate in the 4 Nations Face-Off - an event governed by the NHL - along with other international tournaments, including the 2026 Olympics, after going through an extensive screening process.

"After being nominated by the Team Canada management group for consideration to play in the 4 Nations Face-Off, Cale Makar participated in an additional third-party review of the allegations regarding Canada's National Junior Team in 2018 and was cleared to participate in the tournament and future international events," Hockey Canada said in a statement."

Reactions: jj cale

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020

"Makar was a member of Canada's 2018 word junior team and had previously been included among a team-wide ban from international competition because of sexual assault charges laid against five of his teammates.

Makar has repeatedly denied having any involvement in the alleged incident that happened in London, Ontario, after an event to celebrate that team's gold-medal victory. He was cleared to participate in the 4 Nations Face-Off - an event governed by the NHL - along with other international tournaments, including the 2026 Olympics, after going through an extensive screening process.

"After being nominated by the Team Canada management group for consideration to play in the 4 Nations Face-Off, Cale Makar participated in an additional third-party review of the allegations regarding Canada's National Junior Team in 2018 and was cleared to participate in the tournament and future international events," Hockey Canada said in a statement."
Glad that the right decision was made. Curious if Thomas will undergo a similar process, might be more complicated for him though because he is a CHL player

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Glad that the right decision was made. Curious if Thomas will undergo a similar process, might be more complicated for him though because he is a CHL player
I think Makar was their first order of business, as he is the best defenseman in the world, so it's a no-brainer.

I wonder how this will work - if the "Team Canada management group" will nominate guys like Thomas, then have them "participate in an additional third-party review of the allegations" to clear them as well... essentially just repeating the process they went through with Makar for each individual player they'd consider for the 4 Nations/Olympics Team.

It seems they might go that route instead of trying to clear all but the 5 players who have been charged.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Fans of the other teams just had their heart broken, you just know they were rubbing their hands with glee that he wouldn't be cleared to play.

Too bad boys!!

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
No surprising selections for the first 6. Marchand will be fine in a bottom 6 role, and I wouldn’t worry too much if he plays in the top 6 with an All Nova Scotia line. Pretty hard to mess up with those 2 guys on your line:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad