What will be your team’s PP units for the season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Brazeau
Pasta - Lindholm - Marchand
Lohrei/McAvoy

Frederic/Geekie
Zacha - Coyle - Poitras?
Lohrei/McAvoy/H. Lindholm

That’s my best guess right now as of now.
B’s have some guys fighting for a top 6 wing spot. Who knows how that plays out

• Love
Reactions: Coffees

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Second unit could be interesting this year.

When everyone’s healthy could see some combo of

Skinner, Arvidsson, Kane, Henrique, Ekholm or Nurse. There’s definitely options and they could see more time than previous years.
Let’s be real here, Oilers do not have a 2nd PP unit lol.

If you wanna call it the dump the puck out with 20 seconds left on the powerplay unit you can call it that

Reactions: CameHameHa

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
hows he in terms of zone entries/play driving ability?

DeBrusk is great taking the puck to the net. From the blue line, from the corners, from the boards. When Jake gets the puck he is going to put his head down and take it to the net. I hate to do cross sports analogies, but he is like a north south running back who can hit the holes quickly if the o-line opens it, even if it’s small, but is never going to create something out of nothing. Once around the net he is good at finding the holes in the goalie.

He has added solid defensive play to his game. Good on board battles and using his quickness on the PK.

He is a poor distributor of the puck and I wouldn’t say his game is high IQ in the slightest. He doesn’t use his teammates particularly well. He isn’t someone that is doing a lot of the work going from blueline to blueline. His shot isn’t good enough to beat goalies from the dots, he has to be in close. He doesn’t have a one timer. For all his success at taking to puck to the net, he is only OK as a net front guy on the PP, not amazing at screens or tips or making cool little touch passes. He should be better on the forecheck with his skill set, but he was never a difference maker there in Boston.

He was awesome a couple years ago playing with Marchand and Bergeron as the third best guy in the line. They would play their little game of catch and break down the D and DeBrusk would find the holes and go to the net. Most of his career he was with Krejci with a rotating cast of characters on the opposite wing that was the big hole in those Boston teams. He would score his 25ish goals, but the line just wasn’t good enough. When he was put on the third line and asked to drive it, that is when we saw all the threads about DeBrusk having no trade value and that Boston should just waive him.

Him having 30-30 seasons in his new contract wouldn’t be shocking. Nor would some 20-20 seasons. But I really wonder where he will fit on the Vancouver PP. Would likely involve him showing something new in a different role.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
This is how you write PP lines:

---- x
x -- x -- x
---- x

Some folks are still writing it like there's two pointmen on your PP unit. There's only one.
That is how  you write PP lines. I write them like this x---x---x---x---x. Same number of dashes and Xs, but mine is in a line :naughty:

scoopscj

Feb 13, 2009
Central Joy-See
Devils will tinker a bit due to new coach. Usually they run 1 defender per unit, but I suspect it will be..

PP1: Jack Hughes, Timo Meir, Nico Heicher, Jesper Bratt and Dougie Hamilton

PP2: Eric Haula, Stephan Nosen, Ondrej Palat, Thomas Tatar and Luke Hughes.

Sometimes Jack Hughes will play the entire PP1. Simon Nemec also played a bit on the PP last year and I can see a 2 defender oriented PP2 if necessary.

I could see them on PP2 doing Eric Haula, Stephan Nosen, Ondrej Palat, Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec. As Luke is more of an offensive defensemen

Not sure what Coach Keefe will do but as long as the team is healthy, should be a wealth of options.

PP1 looks lethal especially the way Timo was playing the last 2 months of the season.

Reactions: Xirik

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We may have something decent this year:

Suzuki
Laine Caufield Slafkovsky
Hutson

Dvo
Dach Newhook Roy
Matheson

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Interesting for Sabres:

Tuch
Thompson Quinn Cozens
Dahlin

Quinn and Cozens can potentially swap spots.

PP2:
XXX
Peterka Benson XXX
Byram/Power

I can actually see them using two D on the second line. Net front may need to be Greenway here. Love Peterka, but he is definitely a 5v5 producer and have not seen enough from him for PP1.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
My guesses:

1st PP: Thompson, Quinn, Peterka, Dahlin, Byram

2nd PP: Cozens, Benson, Tuch, Zucker, Power

Could see them throwing Greenway out there as a net-front guy sometimes. Maybe McLeod instead of Zucker if they need somebody to skate the puck into the zone on the set-up.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
PP1: core four of Barkov-Tkachuk-Reinhart-Verhaeghe, and then one of Boqvist/Forsling/Ekblad on the blue line. My guess is that Ekblad is not likely because of his scating, and they try Boqvist at first there.
PP2: likely Bennett and Lundell, two of Rodrigues/Luostarinen/Samoskevich (if he is not sent to the AHL), then one of Boqvist/Forsling/Ekblad. Can possibly see 2D setup with Ekblad on the left side.

FromChaos22

Jan 10, 2008
Los Angeles
My guesses:

1st PP: Thompson, Quinn, Peterka, Dahlin, Byram

2nd PP: Cozens, Benson, Tuch, Zucker, Power

Could see them throwing Greenway out there as a net-front guy sometimes. Maybe McLeod instead of Zucker if they need somebody to skate the puck into the zone on the set-up.
Both D for sure over Tuch?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
You as a neutral, would you consider trading for that contract if you ran an NHL team?

Go look at his stats (consider his drastic ES/PP splits) and the structure of that contract before you answer and then tell me if you think he’s a player that has positive value.

I think most Rangers fans would dump him today if it was that easy.
Yes lmao if you needed a center you take Zib in a heartbeat.

7.75x7 was just given to Elias Lindholm

Devils will tinker a bit due to new coach. Usually they run 1 defender per unit, but I suspect it will be..

PP1: Jack Hughes, Timo Meir, Nico Heicher, Jesper Bratt and Dougie Hamilton

PP2: Eric Haula, Stephan Nosen, Ondrej Palat, Thomas Tatar and Luke Hughes.

Sometimes Jack Hughes will play the entire PP1. Simon Nemec also played a bit on the PP last year and I can see a 2 defender oriented PP2 if necessary.

I could see them on PP2 doing Eric Haula, Stephan Nosen, Ondrej Palat, Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec. As Luke is more of an offensive defensemen

Not sure what Coach Keefe will do but as long as the team is healthy, should be a wealth of options.

PP1 looks lethal especially the way Timo was playing the last 2 months of the season.
Need Jack to get to 40+% on faceoffs so we can stick Noesen on PP1 in place of Nico tbh.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I'd love to work out a trade with you for Dawson Mercer then.

I won't even get greedy and ask for Hughes or Hischier.
"if you needed a center"

NJD is not in need of a high end center.

I'm sure the bruins would have much preferred Mika at 8.5x6 over Lindholm at 7.75x7 if they could have gotten him without giving up assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad