What Were You Wrong About?

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
As we go through the off season we had ideas how players were going to perform with their upcoming roles. Let's see who can own up to their own poor predictions :)

Mine:
1) I thought Petts would be regularly scratched this season. I thought he should have been one of the players traded. Didn't think he had the ability to wall off defenders or anchor when caught in his own end. He's arguably been our best/most consistent Dman this year.

2) Archibald. Figured he'd be a major detriment to this team in terms of stupid penalties and running around out of position. He's played his role on the 4th line to a T and then some

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I thought Jarry and Rust would be better…and was not happy with Archibald signing either but I am now…I also predicted major injuries lol, but short of the Letang announcement, that didn’t materialize

on the positive side, I thought Geno and Zucker would rebound and they did…minus the last few games…and I also thought this team would be a borderline playoff team but would likely just miss, and it’s trending in that direction too

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
2) Archibald. Figured he'd be a major detriment to this team in terms of stupid penalties and running around out of position. He's played his role on the 4th line to a T and then some
Yeah, I'll eat crow there too. He still has his bad instincts sometimes, but he's gotten way better this year about being smart about when and where to go looking for the hit. I'll own it.

Things I was right about:

Letang being injury-prone.
Rust being the lazy floater everyone was afraid Malkin would be.
Dumoulin looking terrible.
Our special teams not making a lick of sense.

God, I wish I was wrong more often this year. :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Realistically it’s difficult for me to analyze the team when we have a coach so clearly past his prime.

I shared similar concerns to @Sidney the Kidney in that I like Rust as a player but Sullivan’s usage of him is ultimately a net loss for the team.

I was really happy with the Rutta and Petry deals and I think they’ve been good to great.

I thought POJ was shit and he’s absolutely dunked on me. Looks like Dumoulin in 15–16 with more offensive upside.

I was wrong about Smith being on the roster.

I would also say I was wrong about the Carter contract. He’s atrocious in the role Sullivan is using him in, but he’s basically a 40+ point player getting largely defensive starts since coming over here.

Honestly this team is about what I expected them to be. The usual inconsistency in effort, the bad powerplay, and the lack of accountability towards anyone outside of the predetermined players.

I think I was ultimately right about Letang’s contract as much as I love the guy too.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I thought Archibald would suck and he's proven me wrong. I didn't think Rakell would be bad but I never expected him to be this good. I thought Rust would be better.

I did believe in POJ and his skill set so I will pat myself on the back with that.

I can't think of too much else.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Realistically it’s difficult for me to analyze the team when we have a coach so clearly past his prime.

I shared similar concerns to @Sidney the Kidney in that I like Rust as a player but Sullivan’s usage of him is ultimately a net loss for the team.

I was really happy with the Rutta and Petry deals and I think they’ve been good to great.

I thought POJ was shit and he’s absolutely dunked on me. Looks like Dumoulin in 15–16 with more offensive upside.

I was wrong about Smith being on the roster.

I would also say I was wrong about the Carter contract. He’s atrocious in the role Sullivan is using him in, but he’s basically a 40+ point player getting largely defensive starts since coming over here.

Honestly this team is about what I expected them to be. The usual inconsistency in effort, the bad powerplay, and the lack of accountability towards anyone outside of the predetermined players.

I think I was ultimately right about Letang’s contract as much as I love the guy too.
You still don't grasp, the CORE does what ever the f*** they want any HC who tried to stop their BS they quit on

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I was wrong about Kapanen. While I did believe we overpaid, I was confident that he would elevate his game to a top 6 right-wing here. Basically, I thought he would turn into what Rakell currently is for us.

Really, that's been about the only thing I've been wrong about in quite awhile.

I often took positions that were unpopular but ultimately manifested such as:
1. ERod resigning last year being a good thing. I supported bringing him back and thought he could be productive.
2. Keeping Zucker. I knew that with a good off-season to recover, he could certainly return to form.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Core has been great.

Biggest issue on this team is our coach and his lack of accountability with Bryan Rust and Brian Dumoulin.
BULLSHIT ! but go find that can't Miss Russian you wanted here

Core has been great.

Biggest issue on this team is our coach and his lack of accountability with Bryan Rust and Brian Dumoulin.
Rust is Sid Wubbie Sid gets whatever the f*** he wants, If you haven't learned that since he has been here, you have no clue about anything else

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I was definitely wrong about Archibald (so far) and Pettersson.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not sure how much I've been "wrong" with regards to the Pens. That's not because I'm some genius hockey savant, but because I was pretty meh about most of the team and so far they've played pretty meh this season.

I guess maybe Zucker being more effective than I thought he'd be? Then again most of my negativity when it comes to Zucker is he's constantly hurt. If you guaranteed me healthy Zucker then I probably would have been higher than him than I was.

Unfortunately, the things I was "right" about are creeping into the lineup and hurting this team (such as lazy ass Rust, Dumo's continued decline, etc.).

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Pleasantly Wrong:
Zucker bouncing back. The trade overall that brought him here has still been a catastrophe and unless he goes full McDavid that won't change, but now that he's healthy he's been quite good. Arguably our best guy this year with Rakell.
POJ definitely has a top-4 ceiling, still
Blueger may actually be PK Jesus

Pleasantly Right:
Nothing

Unpleasantly Wrong:
Letang has been terrible
Rust has been terrible
PP couldn't get worse...see above
Dumo dropoff

Unpleasantly Right:
Sid productive, but defensively terrible and selling out for offense. Empty nets padding a middling performance as in "2020"-2021.
Geno fine/good, but is not elevating his linemates - Zucker/Rakell elevated him instead and now that he doesn't have both he can't produce. Lacks the explosion and incisiveness of a true elite guy, but then again he's only a $6.1M center at this point.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pleasantly Wrong:
Zucker bouncing back. The trade overall that brought him here has still been a catastrophe and unless he goes full McDavid that won't change, but now that he's healthy he's been quite good. Arguably our best guy this year with Rakell.
POJ definitely has a top-4 ceiling, still
Blueger may actually be PK Jesus

Pleasantly Right:
Nothing

Unpleasantly Wrong:
Letang has been terrible
Rust has been terrible
PP couldn't get worse...see above
Dumo dropoff

Unpleasantly Right:
Sid productive, but defensively terrible and selling out for offense. Empty nets padding a middling performance as in "2020"-2021.
Geno fine/good, but is not elevating his linemates - Zucker/Rakell elevated him instead and now that he doesn't have both he can't produce. Lacks the explosion and incisiveness of a true elite guy, but then again he's only a $6.1M center at this point.

How are you right about Crosby? Your takes on him are terrible.

He's "empty net padding"? He currently leads the entire NHL in points at 5on5 this year. Like, what are you even on about with the empty nets padding comment?

His production this year should firmly put him in your "wrong" department since you insisted he's no better than a low end 1C at this point.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
What was I wrong about? Pretty much everything, all the time. :laugh:

Absolute laughers;
Jake's career is permanently derailed by his shoulder issues.
Letang is better than Sid or Geno nowadays and will continue to be as the three age out of the NHL.
Zucker acquisition will be a home run and he'd be the best all-around winger this team's had since Hossa.

Not my best;
Petts is garbage and only looked decent in a sheltered role.
POJ is a younger Ruhwedel.
Rakell would be a dud.
Archibald would be Gladams-bad.

Remains to be seen:
Cup window slammed shut when the team didn't go a different direction away from JR and Sully following the Habs play-in. Now it's too late and the team's beyond the event horizon.
Dumo's injuries have toasted his game.
Rust was a prime move-early dude and should've been shopped in a hockey trade last season.
They should've shopped Kap at the draft or outright let him walk this summer.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I wasn't overly impressed with the idea of acquiring Rakell. Sometimes when a player gets traded, they have a burst of energy, like 'I'm on a new team now, need to make a good impression' and they play well, but then they stop feeling the need to make a good impression and don't play nearly as well as they did at first. I'm happy to see that Rakell is so far still playing as well as he did when we first acquired him, and is continuing to be a productive player for the team.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I wasn't overly impressed with the idea of acquiring Rakell. Sometimes when a player gets traded, they have a burst of energy, like 'I'm on a new team now, need to make a good impression' and they play well, but then they stop feeling the need to make a good impression and don't play nearly as well as they did at first. I'm happy to see that Rakell is so far still playing as well as he did when we first acquired him, and is continuing to be a productive player for the team.
I think he's actually playing better than he did last year. He was pretty good last year, but he's upped his level this year.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
How are you right about Crosby? Your takes on him are terrible.

He's "empty net padding"? He currently leads the entire NHL in points at 5on5 this year. Like, what are you even on about with the empty nets padding comment?

His production this year should firmly put him in your "wrong" department since you insisted he's no better than a low end 1C at this point.
Well, he does lead the league in empty net points, too :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, some of Crosby's defensive metrics are going to take a hit because of how terrible GCRu was defensively and how long Sullivan kept them together. +/- isn't the best stat, but in the 11 games those guys were together, Crosby was a -9. In the other 13 games, he's a +11.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad