What was Brett Kulak doing?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Skinner was responsible for the second one. What Kulak did is allow a 0.03 expected goal chance.

Factoring in who the shooter is and the traffic crashing the net and screening the goalie, that number is wrong.

Probably more than double your figure at least. Sam Reinhardt is gonna score more than 3/100 in that scenario.

Kulak shoulda stepped up and instead of backing up, oilers had numbers back

That said, this thread is stupid

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I might be wrong but to me it looked like Draisaitl got his stick on Reinhardt's enough to slightly adjust his shot angle last second. So Skinner was prepared to save the shot but the last second bump made him miss.

Maybe my eyes decieved me though

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Now Kulak is to blame for the oilers scoring one goal. Me as an oiler fan, there is no excuses because we have both mcdavid and draisaitl. You don't score you don't win, plain and simple. I don't care if Kulak pulled a Steve Smith and scored on Skinner. This is on the big boys up front to get it done.

Reactions: TMLife17

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Idk, they looked good for 3 games but in the end of the third it looked like they weren't gonna beat Bob, just defeated
Big gap between not belonging and coming up short against a 2 time Vezina winner, up for a 3rd who was on his game

Panthers played great but Oilers were a good opponent. As an aside, Skinner should have been pulled way earlier

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Plenty of blame to go around, Bouchard didn't help Kulak by leaving the front of the net to go defend an invisible player on the first goal.

On the second goal, Draisaitl could have taken a couple of more strides instead of coasting back and maybe he does a better job at disrupting Reinhart's shot.
Drai instead of backing up opted to go forward and check verheqge. Like Connor in the first set of games in fla when he tried to pick off a pass to Barkov which he didn’t get allowed a 3 on 2 to develop from inside the panthers blue line. Leon too aggressive and thinking offense vs be the responsible C and 3rd man high and back off into a defensive position. Then it’s Ceci’s lack of mobility as he has to turn and skate towards skinner vs skate backwards which allows verheage to build up speed and attack the net. Also is not able to see Foegle catch up to the wide winger and go to the net with him since his back is to that side. Kulak looks like 3 times over his right shoulder to see the rush and try to find his teammates positioning. Doesn’t appear to be much communication with Ceci going on.
If there was good communication then Kulak should have stepped up on Reinhart to take away time and space. But instead you see him position himself between Reinhart and verheage as it Ceci wasn’t there.
Just overall bad defensive zone coverage and communication.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Skinner was responsible for the second one. What Kulak did is allow a 0.03 expected goal chance.
Letting a 57 goal scorer fly in at top speed and take an uncontested shot from in the slot inside the circle is a 0.03 xG chance now?

Ok either that's a wild exaggeration or whoever marked that down as 0.03 xG needs a new job.

Saveable? Sure. Dangerous chance to give up? Definitely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad