Confirmed with Link: What to do with Trouba? (UPD: 1y/5.5m arb award)

*IFF* Trouba asks for too much money, & you can't get full value in a trade - best option for Chevy

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Wiecek still has a job.............. how is that possible? The guy is trapped in his memories of 1997 Winnipeg.
a bit off the Trouba topic, but my main problem with Wiecek's writing is that he's so negative. The Jets' just had their best season ever, and virtually every day his articles during the year were downbeat. I stopped reading him after about two months into the season. Some negativity is fine, as in if he was going to be discussing the possibility of losing Trouba, but he was just non-stop negative about everything.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Are there players and agents out there that don't over-value the players worth? Yes, I know Scheifele and Ehlers signed for what qualify as bargain prices, but we also don't know the asks up front so perhaps they over-valued themselves as well?
I think you know the answer to this question--in fact, you embedded it within the question!
I'm not especially willing to get my hate on for Trouba or his agent for asking for higher than real value amounts. You'd have to be rather foolish to only ask for fair market value. If the "too expensive" aspect comes through, then sure, I'll be disappointed we didn't sign Trouba because I think he makes an excellent long term signing for top pair with Morrissey, even with his flaws factored in. But even if I were Laine and his agent I'd be asking for Matthews $$ as well to start with. What he signs (or not) for is what matters in the end.
I certainly don't hate Trouba...although I'm not a big fan of his agent and family advisors. I just happen to think that there are big differences in what motivates players (and their advisors), and that can lead to very different consequences. In Trouba's case, the potential consequence is more than "what he signs for"--it's whether he signs at all.
PS- I do hope he signs.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
a bit off the Trouba topic, but my main problem with Wiecek's writing is that he's so negative. The Jets' just had their best season ever, and virtually every day his articles during the year were downbeat. I stopped reading him after about two months into the season. Some negativity is fine, as in if he was going to be discussing the possibility of losing Trouba, but he was just non-stop negative about everything.
We should make him an honorary member of the HF Jets PGT Society and bestow the Medal of Sipowicz upon him. :sarcasm:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Because teams value a right handed defender even bad ones.

Like I dont know what to say here. Myers scored 7 points in 16 games playoffs, Perreault 1 in 9...

I agree Myers is a bit overrated league wide. But calling him a bad defenseman is so bush league.

Implying Poolman is better makes me suspect you value players by Corsi and not much else. That's the only rationale I can find behind this anyway. Barf.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Like I dont know what to say here. Myers scored 7 points in 16 games playoffs, Perreault 1 in 9...

I agree Myers is a bit overrated league wide. But calling him a bad defenseman is so bush league.

Implying Poolman is better makes me suspect you value players by Corsi and not much else. That's the only rationale I can find behind this anyway. Barf.

I said Myers is horrible defensively. He’s a third pair guy making first pair money and we need his cap space.

Reactions: Tommigun

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
I said Myers is horrible defensively. He’s a third pair guy making first pair money and we need his cap space.

We don’t pick until 60 and trading Myers not only frees up cap space but we could get a late 1st for him.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I said Myers is horrible defensively. He’s a third pair guy making first pair money.

We don’t pick until 60 and trading Myers not only frees up cap space but we could get a late 1st for him.

If he's a 3rd pairing guy, no one is going to cough up a 1st rounder for him, particularly if anyone shares the opinion that he is overpaid as "a 3rd pairing D making 1st pairing money."

In one posts he's horrible, the next suggests his value deserves a 1st rounder in compensation.

Which is it?

PS...DJBiffWpg=RB?

Last edited:

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
If he's a 3rd pairing guy, no one is going to cough up a 1st rounder for him, particularly if anyone shares the opinion that he is overpaid as "a 3rd pairing D making 1st pairing money."

In one posts he's horrible, the next suggests his value deserves a 1st rounder in compensation.

Which is it?

PS...DJBiffWpg=RB?

Because some teams that don’t have Buff and Trouba ahead of him will over value his point production.

Yeah it’s me same name I’m not hiding.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

This part I agree with. I'm not sure we will get a 1st for him. But if we did get offered that I would understand Chevy playing the long game.

My best case is just letting him walk next summer, and he helps us try and win a Cup next year. But we did just trade first for Stastny. And we still need a good 2C one way or another.

Maybe we're not that far apart after all

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Because some teams that don’t have Buff and Trouba ahead of him will over value his point production.

Yeah it’s me same name I’m not hiding.

I'll agree that at some point very soon the Jets certainly won't have all of Byfuglien, Trouba & Myers patrolling the right side. I think Myers stays. I know you can only take so much at face value but when Maurice let it slip in an interview midway through the season that "Myers is here long term", I took that to mean he would be resigned.

I'm not sure what the point of interviews is if one can't assume a coach or GM to mean what they say. They let so little slip than when a slip of the tongue actually emerges it should certainly have more worth than the idle gossip & chit chat on a forum or blog.

Few NHL families have been shown the loyalty the Jets have shown Myers'. I believe he'll be resigned to a sweetheart deal.

Last edited:

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
This part I agree with. I'm not sure we will get a 1st for him. But if we did get offered that I would understand Chevy playing the long game.

My best case is just letting him walk next summer, and he helps us try and win a Cup next year. But we did just trade first for Stastny. And we still need a good 2C one way or another.

Maybe we're not that far apart after all

You don’t get Stastny back without moving Myers.

I’m not sold on bringing him back but that’s the only way it works.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
I'll agree that at some point very soon the Jets certainly won't have all of Byfuglien, Trouba & Myers patrolling the right side. I think Myers stays. I know you can only take so much at face value but when Maurice let it slip in an interview midway through the season that "Myers is here long term", I took that to mean he would be resigned.

I'm not sure what the point of interviews is if one can't assume a coach or GM to mean what they say. They let so little slip than when a slip of the tongue actually emerges it should certainly have more worth than the idle gossip & chit chat on a forum or blog.

Few NHL families have been shown the loyalty the Jets have shown Myers'. I believe he'll be resigned to a sweetheart deal.

That would be a horrible mistake to sign him. Loyalty doesn’t win championships it only signs bad deals.
The Little contract is already a huge obstacle that Chevy will need to overcome.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
You don’t get Stastny back without moving Myers.

I’m not sold on bringing him back but that’s the only way it works.

Lot's of ways it works. Murat Ates in the Athletic has written at length regarding it.

Under the best circumstances it's possible to get the entire roster (minus Stastny) from game 5 vs Vegas back for $75 million including bonus.' It involves a tremendous amount of fiscal responsibility but it's possible. Sadly I can't quote the article at length as it's behind a paywall.

In all likelihood every UFA other than Stastny is gone. Most have suggested this anyways so bye to Hendricks, Matthias, Hutchinson, & Enstrom. Optimal signings of all the RFA's well under a cap of $80 million could potentially leave $5 million available.

Yes this is still under what is projected to take to sign Stastny.

While you are correct in stating a trade needs to happen, it certainly doesn't have to be Myers. Niku making the team makes Chiarot at $1.4 AAV expendable shaving $625,000 off the cap. The team would hardly be hurt making this move. Most think Morrow is an upgrade anyways. Niku could even remain on the Moose as Morrow's 2017-2018 salary was only $650,000 & even if given a raise would remain on par with Niku's. In either option there is no bonus money to worry about.

If not Chiarot, a trade of any other player provides additional relief. There will certainly be at least two trades prior to the season opening. We have 25 players with a decent shot at the roster and those on the cusp are no longer waiver eligible. Petan & Dano are the easiest examples. Since they both have some degree of upside, a strong summer could end up with at least one veteran becoming expendable instead. Again more cap space is being created.

I don't have all the answers as there is far to much in the mix at the present time. But to say it has to be Myers is poppycock.

PS Today is my 5 years anniversary on hfboards. Just got my Veterans trophy!

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I didn't mind the Wiecek article at all. He said what many others have said at various times--that Troubs and his agent may over-value his worth and be disinclined to sign here long-term without getting a deal that is too expensive for Chevy's taste or the Jets' cap. If that is the case, then it may be worth trading him for any number of possible returns.
Nothing controversial here, perhaps just a take on Trouba that people don't want to hear at this point.
So, you thought his suggestion to trade for a young, #1 RD on a cheap contract seemed reasonable?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

100% agree and it’s why I was saying he is Mr 1997 when it was more acceptable to be negative. Present day coming off the season we just had he comes across as a washed up, out of touch, old one trick pony that seems to carry a grudge of some sort. :help:

Last edited:

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
While you are correct in stating a trade needs to happen, it certainly doesn't have to be Myers. Niku making the team makes Chiarot at $1.4 AAV expendable shaving $625,000 off the cap. The team would hardly be hurt making this move. Most think Morrow is an upgrade anyways. Niku could even remain on the Moose as Morrow's 2017-2018 salary was only $650,000 & even if given a raise would remain on par with Niku's. In either option there is no bonus money to worry about.

If not Chiarot, a trade of any other player provides additional relief. There will certainly be at least two trades prior to the season opening. We have 25 players with a decent shot at the roster and those on the cusp are no longer waiver eligible. Petan & Dano are the easiest examples. Since they both have some degree of upside, a strong summer could end up with at least one veteran becoming expendable instead. Again more cap space is being created.

I don't have all the answers as there is far to much in the mix at the present time. But to say it has to be Myers is poppycock.

PS Today is my 5 years anniversary on hfboards. Just got my Veterans trophy!

I'm fine with moving Chiarot and putting Morrow in his place for half the price but I'm sorry neither Kulikov or Morrow can play in the top 4 beside Buff. You can type from today until tomorrow and won't convince me that Myers belongs on this roster.

Agreed on Petan and Dano but neither have really any trade value at all besides part of a bigger deal. Armia also will probably be dealt because he will want more money and ice time. Not really a big loss.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
So, you thought his suggestion to trade for a young, #1 RD on a cheap contract seemed reasonable?

You mean this quote?

"Trouba would fetch a monstrous price on the trade market heading into the NHL draft, which begins a week from Friday in Dallas.
There would be draft picks and there would be players on offer, maybe even including another top-pairing right-shot defenceman with a team-friendly contract and a Winnipeg-friendly attitude.
Trouba would both fetch some very valuable assets on the trade market and also buy some badly needed cap space at a critical moment in the evolution of this franchise.
But it would come at cost, for sure."

It didn't bother me at all, as the gist of the article was as I outlined it earlier. It was not a suggestion, but rather one of countless options in the event Trouba's contract demands did not fit into the Jets economic structure.
Perfectly acceptable stuff for an opinion piece, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I get what you're saying but this is way over the top. Calling Myers a guy who can't hack 3rd pair anf worse than Poolman and his 20 games is a joke :laugh:

Like gee I wonder why Myers would bring back more in a trade. Must be which hand he shoots.
Seething hate bias much?

Myers has his warts. He hangs on to the puck too long in his own zone. He breaks down coverage in our zone especially if we are trapped. But he has a lot of pluses too. He skates very well, he can rush the puck exceptionally well. He produces offense. He has his role. He's a top 4 guy because he has above average offensive skill. His defensive ability is not top 4 - I hope he can mature a bit and get better there.

Jets won't trade Myers - haters can dream all they want. I'd bet with our lack of depth and prospects, he gets re-upped.

As for Perreault - I was extremely disappointed in him in the playoffs. He needed to step up as a veteran and he was awful - could not execute. He's someone who should be on his way out - we have lots of options up front.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Seething hate bias much?

Myers has his warts. He hangs on to the puck too long in his own zone. He breaks down coverage in our zone especially if we are trapped. But he has a lot of pluses too. He skates very well, he can rush the puck exceptionally well. He produces offense. He has his role. He's a top 4 guy because he has above average offensive skill. His defensive ability is not top 4 - I hope he can mature a bit and get better there.

Jets won't trade Myers - haters can dream all they want. I'd bet with our lack of depth and prospects, he gets re-upped.

As for Perreault - I was extremely disappointed in him in the playoffs. He needed to step up as a veteran and he was awful - could not execute. He's someone who should be on his way out - we have lots of options up front.

Biggest wart is his durability - he's glass IMO, and he plays like glass in his own end.
For that reason alone, I can see him moving on.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Seething hate bias much?

How can the Jets afford so much cap space on their right defense ? Myers stays only if Trouba goes. Would love to keep them all, but Myers shouldn't be a third pairing defenseman.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I get what you're saying but this is way over the top. Calling Myers a guy who can't hack 3rd pair anf worse than Poolman and his 20 games is a joke :laugh:

Like gee I wonder why Myers would bring back more in a trade. Must be which hand he shoots.

That was a little over the top - but he is a 3rd pair D. He struggles against better opposition. And he is getting 1st pair money. And RHD are worth more than LHD, marginally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad