Player Discussion What to do with Maroon?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Nuge is worth 3-4 million more than Maroon....

Okay.

Avoids responding to the rest of my post...

Okay.

Edit: Also, look at what Maroon is without McDavid: an average 3rd liner on a 2 mil contract (exactly 4 mil less than Nuge) who Anaheim was willing to retain 500k on to move. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but I find it hard to believe that he's suddenly just reinvented himself into a 25 goal scoring power forward at 28 years of age. He's the classic example of a superstar making a subpar player look good. Nuge on the other hand, has gotten minimal time with McDavid, and leads this team in scoring, as a centre, playing with a revolving door of wingers.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Avoids responding to the rest of my post...

Okay.

Fine.

The reason you trade Nuge is because he's the only expendable player who has a chance at getting a top 4 RHD puck mover. Something this team has desperately needed for years. In a cap world it also doesn't make sense to pay your 3rd line C $6M. We keep trying to force this ideal of 3 scoring lines but we barely have enough wingers to ice two.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Big, mean complementary winger who can score 20+ a season while standing up for our players? We need 5 more guys like him. Losing Maroon would definitely hurt the Oil going forward.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Fine.

The reason you trade Nuge is because he's the only expendable player who has a chance at getting a top 4 RHD puck mover. Something this team has desperately needed for years. In a cap world it also doesn't make sense to pay your 3rd line C $6M. We keep trying to force this ideal of 3 scoring lines but we barely have enough wingers to ice two.

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Draisaitl-Khaira/Slepyshev

or

RNH-McDavid-Caggiula
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi

There you go. 2 lines. 3 centres. Don't tell me that this lineup looks better with Maroon in place of RNH. It doesn't. And if you don't like Nuge on the wing, here you go:

Khaira-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Puljujarvi

Again, put Maroon in, it doesn't look better. I personally prefer the first setup, but both work.

I also truly believe that Khaira is our next Maroon. The exception, however, is that Khaira is 23 years old, and has been impressive away from McDavid, and can grow into a consistent 20 goal guy, whereas Maroon has a track record indicating that he is purely a product of McDavid. And Khaira comes cheaper, and can play centre if need be. And Khaira (due to age) is a slightly better skater.

Also, I don't believe the RHD is as essential as you do. Between a group of Nurse, Larsson, and Sekera, I think our top 3 D positions are solid for now and the future. Trading Nuge for a guy who isn't needed in the top 3 is foolish. What we need on D is stability and depth. So either Klefbom plays well next season, or he goes. Davidson and Russell should be a fine third pairing. Need to move Benning. But our defensive needs aren't so big that we need to move our leading goalscorer.

Edit: Plus, I'm willing to bet that in 2 years, at least one of Yamamoto and Benson is an NHLer.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Having Lucic and Maroon as our top 6 LWs makes us to slow plus Maroon is going to want to get paid. He’s only effective with Mcdavid and every GM knows that. I’d prefer Maroon over Lucic but since Lucic isn’t going anywhere, that means Maroon has to go.

Reactions: ujju2

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A game like last game makes me want to keep him, but the cap is the cap. If he'd stay for 3 million that would be great, but just think of it. So many teams out there are soft and would love his scoring touch, and from Maroon's angle he's never had a huge pay day, and this is his only chance.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
you offer Maroon a 2 mill contract for 1 year, or 1.5 mill for 2-3 years. If he doesn't take it you trade him. He just isn't that good, McD would make a garbage bag look good.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if the McDavid Effect meant that players would re-sign for their actual value instead of us having to outbid the highest potential suitor in order to retain our talent?

How about it, Patty? We love ya here. Might not work out as well at your next stop. That next “show me” contract right before that young euro steals your job. You’re 2LW with a bullet here. Stick around.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I still say that Khaira is our in house Maroon replacement. I like Patty but at this point I'd try and add a high pick or solid almost NHL ready prospect for him. I'd probably stick with the pick though since our pro scouts have given us beauties like Strome, Jokinen and Walker recently.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
you offer Maroon a 2 mill contract for 1 year, or 1.5 mill for 2-3 years. If he doesn't take it you trade him. He just isn't that good, McD would make a garbage bag look good.
You can't lowball Maroon with that kind of contract with Kassian making nearly 2m per. That is a kind of offer that sours the relationship between team and player. He has proven to be able to put up points with us.

Reactions: nabob

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if the McDavid Effect meant that players would re-sign for their actual value instead of us having to outbid the highest potential suitor in order to retain our talent?

How about it, Patty? We love ya here. Might not work out as well at your next stop. That next “show me” contract right before that young euro steals your job. You’re 2LW with a bullet here. Stick around.

I think that it'd be hard to take less when you see Leon and Connor going for the gusto with their contracts. The sad reality with this team after those contracts are that we will be filled with a handful of highly paid players and a bunch of roster filler. We need to add a bunch of solid players on ELC's over the years sadly we will need more picks to do that and Patty likely gets us the highest pick of anyone that we maybe looking at dealing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You can't lowball Maroon with that kind of contract with Kassian making nearly 2m per. That is a kind of offer that sours the relationship between team and player. He has proven to be able to put up points with us.

If we keep Maroon then IMO Kassian gets dealt. Looch, Maroon and Khaira is enough toughness up front and Zack isn't bringing enough for his salary this season.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I'm in the trade him camp, if his stock is going up again, sell high. Use his value to gain someone who can help our pk, which needs all the help it can get. Even with a pk'er coming back, we may still be able to gain an prospect or mid round draft pick.

As much as his offence is helpful now, Puljujarvi and Khaira are stepping up in a way that looks like they've arrived and will more than make up for Maroon's goals.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm in the trade him camp, if his stock is going up again, sell high. Use his value to gain someone who can help our pk, which needs all the help it can get. Even with a pk'er coming back, we may still be able to gain an prospect or mid round draft pick.

As much as his offence is helpful now, Puljujarvi and Khaira are stepping up in a way that looks like they've arrived and will more than make up for Maroon's goals.

We will need to add another player in the offseason to replace his offense. Ideally a shooter like Hoffman. Khaira is the internal replacement in terms of playing a big mans game with skill. But we need to add to this group regardless. We have s much $ tied up in McDavid yet have no point shot to speak of (Klefbom's shoulder doesn't help and Nurse is still getting there) or shooter up front for McDavid to feed.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
We will need to add another player in the offseason to replace his offense. Ideally a shooter like Hoffman. Khaira is the internal replacement in terms of playing a big mans game with skill. But we need to add to this group regardless. We have s much $ tied up in McDavid yet have no point shot to speak of (Klefbom's shoulder doesn't help and Nurse is still getting there) or shooter up front for McDavid to feed.

You know what, looking at their salary, Ottawa might be the front runner team to talk to. Their nutcase owner wants to reduce the payroll, and the contract Maroon would get would be atleast 1M less than Hoffman's salary. The are short on draft pics in Ottawa too because of the Duchene debacle. Would be interesting to dangle Maroon + 2018 2nd rounder (maybe make it a conditional pick for whether or not Maroon re-signs with them.)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You know what, looking at their salary, Ottawa might be the front runner team to talk to. Their nutcase owner wants to reduce the payroll, and the contract Maroon would get would be atleast 1M less than Hoffman's salary. The are short on draft pics in Ottawa too because of the Duchene debacle. Would be interesting to dangle Maroon + 2018 2nd rounder (maybe make it a conditional pick for whether or not Maroon re-signs with them.)

Caggiula or Strome + 2nd and a prospect would be what I'd offer. I doubt that Maroon looks to re-sign with them TBH.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

If this was true we wouldn't be having such a hard time finding a RW outside of Drai to fit with him. There is a talent involved with playing and succeeding with a player like McDavid. So far Maroon is the only LWer we've found who can do it on a consistent basis.

I mean christ... Kassian just signed a 3 year deal at 2M. And you're saying Maroon isn't worth more than 1.5 over the same length. It's ridiculous.

Reactions: sepHF and nabob

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Trade him even if we want him here long term. Pump n dump at deadline and go after him once he becomes UFA.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Keep him...trade Lucic.
There isnt room for both players IMO and I like Lucic but he will NEVER live up to his contract.

Reactions: ujju2

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Keep him...trade Lucic.
There isnt room for both players IMO and I like Lucic but he will NEVER live up to his contract.
Is Lucic realistically moveable though? Maybe? He probably has a lot of respect around the league from hockey people. There might be some teams thinking they need the edge he brings. Also not sure our organization would agree with your decision between the two. Chia signed the deal in the first place. 18 months later I'm not sure he has buyers remorse yet. Although he might not have anticipated such huge contracts out of McDavid/Drai a year later. So who knows.

There's also the problem of the fact that we don't have a realistic replacement for either of them. They're the only proven top 6 wingers we have. Pulju will hopefully get there, but he's not at that stage yet. We really can't afford to get rid of these guys.

Christ I donno lol. Sucks that we're basically guaranteed to ice a worse roster next season no matter what.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Is Lucic realistically moveable though? Maybe? He probably has a lot of respect around the league from hockey people. There might be some teams thinking they need the edge he brings. Also not sure our organization would agree with your decision between the two. Chia signed the deal in the first place. 18 months later I'm not sure he has buyers remorse yet. Although he might not have anticipated such huge contracts out of McDavid/Drai a year later. So who knows.

There's also the problem of the fact that we don't have a realistic replacement for either of them. They're the only proven top 6 wingers we have. Pulju will hopefully get there, but he's not at that stage yet. We really can't afford to get rid of these guys.

Christ I donno lol. Sucks that we're basically guaranteed to ice a worse roster next season no matter what.

I hear you man. I doubt very much that the team and the player would be able to agree to a trade but damn it would make a lot of sense IMO. I do think that Lucic has some cache around the League and that would matter especially as we move into the latter half of the season and the playoffs are right around the corner.

I agree with your take on the relationship between Chia and Lucic and that it makes this potential trade very unlikely.
The problem with Lucic IMO is that you need to get to the playoffs before his value to the team ramps up.
Maroon (who is also a solid playoff performer) for me contributes more for less in the regular season.
He skates better...he moves the puck better and he thinks the game quicker than Lucic.

Regardless of who they trade (its very likely to be Maroon) then they need to pool some assets and fill a hole up front.
They desperately need a legit first shot scorer on the wing and the player I would go hard after if I was Chiarelli would be Hoffman.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Keep him...trade Lucic.
I don’t get this. He’s lived up to it so far. On pace for 50 some points again and top 10 in hits. Maroon has 1 40 point season to his name. Lucic has only scored less than 50 points once in his past 7 full seasons. You move Lucic your moving the only real proven top 6 winger we have.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
You obviously try to sign him to a cheap short term contract, but it takes two to tango. If he wants something long or too expensive we definitely have to cut bait. Retaining him as a cheap option that has the complimentary chemistry with McDavid is a move I can deal with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad