what to do with Frolik

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Trade him. Not worth the money/role he's looking for. At best he's a 9/10 F on a playoff team without star talent up front.

Trade a pending UFA to who for what?

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Trade a pending UFA to who for what?

Prospects. There's usually a few top teams in Fenruary with some injuries that could consider him as a 3rd/4th liner for a run at the Cup. Be nice to sign him for a reasonable rate, but I would not be surprised to see him dealt at the deadline.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
4 years 16 is the max I'd offer. Same I would have offered this summer. If he wants to be here, that's a good deal for both sides IMO. If he doesn't want to be here he can probably get more from a floor team. It's his choice.

Agree on the AAV but would extend the term to 5 years for 20M if that's what it took to get the deal done--just as I would have offered this summer.
Frolik is a guy you want on this hockey team. He can play anywhere on the top 3 lines, a variety of positions, PK, PP, is fit, has a winning pedigree, is a team player and personified PM's defensively-responsible system before PM ever got here.
He was never worth the 4.5-5 million a year people wanted to throw at him this summer but he is certainly not <3.5 million AAV as a UFA.
I really hope we work out a deal with him and am secretly thrilled he is struggling for points despite the team playing well. (I would actually like to shake up the LLF line for now, replacing him with Wheeler).
He can wait till Feb, after a new deal is done, to turn it around, AFAIC.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
With our lack of depth at forward, we need to keep him - figure out a way to sign him. He will be a lot cheaper if he stays on his current pace.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They'd have to send back a cap dump player to make room for him:

Pittsburgh » Today's Cap Space: $426,813 Deadline Cap Space: $1,547,198

Not much though, because Frolik's cap hit would be pro-rated to cover only the remaining games after the trade deadline.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
He makes 3.3 on a 1 year deal. That was an RFA year. Anyone who thinks he'll get less than that is dreaming. Walsh will just take him to UFA. I think we should pay Frolik and lock him up, but keep our options open by not giving him a Full NTC. He is an asset and he's not easily replaced, at least not now.

He'll almost certainly get his 3.3+ I agree, I just don't think thats reasonable value. There's too many players in this organization that can fill his role for less money IMHO. Is he that much better than O'Dell, Klingberg, Lipon, Halischuk etc? Also its expected that Petan and Ehlers will make this team. Where do they fit in?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Of course he is. Much much much better.

I would like to think so, but whether you look at the stats or watch him play, its a hard argument to support. LLF is still the number 1 line on this team in terms of icetime and if Fro is your #1 RW, you will probably be a team that has trouble scoring. I'm thinking they need to get Wheeler back on that line. Although now with 55 out, I'm pretty sure the lines are going in the blender anyway........Ok I'm sliding OT

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He'll almost certainly get his 3.3+ I agree, I just don't think thats reasonable value. There's too many players in this organization that can fill his role for less money IMHO. Is he that much better than O'Dell, Klingberg, Lipon, Halischuk etc? Also its expected that Petan and Ehlers will make this team. Where do they fit in?

Night and day Channelcat....I know some are down on Fro right now but he is light years ahead of this group of players on his bad days. Michael is different pedigree.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Meh, I would give him 4mill/per. He is a perfect 3rd line winger for the type of team we are building (defensive minded). My guess as to what we will see next year:

LLW
KSB
(first two lines can be mixed to some degree)
Ehlers/Petan Perreault Frolik
who cares(hopefully Thorburn has been shot into the sun by this point)

Not to mention Frolik is an excellent PK'er

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Night and day Channelcat....I know some are down on Fro right now but he is light years ahead of this group of players on his bad days. Michael is different pedigree.

It seems some people are holding the first 10 games when he was playing hurt against him. He has played much better since. Much better.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It seems some people are holding the first 10 games when he was playing hurt against him. He has played much better since. Much better.

I get that he played through a dislocated thumb (I believe that was his injury) and he struggled. I don't know though to me he is a very versatile, talented, team first player who brings it every shift, every night. I don't want the Jets to get jacked by his agent "again" but short of that I look at him as part of the solution. Now if we can't get a fair deal done then we need to punt but I am a big fan of Frolik.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Look, I know this isn't typically how it is done in hockey, but...

At this point, one year away from UFA status, I don't know why Frolik wouldn't want to test the free agent market. Even if he has a down year compared to last year he still plays some pretty solid hockey, and playing 1st or second line minutes means he'll still get some meaningful production. The one way the Jets sign him before he goes UFA is by making a significant overpayment.

What I'd suggest is that unless we're clearly out of it by the trade deadline we hang on to Frolik (and even if we're out of it I don't know how much you get, the trade deadline market isn't what it used to be, and Frolik isn't a star player). You tell Frolik "we'd love to sign you, but I understand you want to test the market. We want you to go out and test the market. We think you'll find that our offer is more than fair and reasonable. If someone else offers you the same amount we paid you we hope you'll remember that we've always treated you and our other players fairly and that you'll want to re-sign with us. If someone offers you more, we hope you'll give us a chance to consider matching it. And if you don't get a higher offer, well our offer will still be on the table."

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Look, I know this isn't typically how it is done in hockey, but...

At this point, one year away from UFA status, I don't know why Frolik wouldn't want to test the free agent market. Even if he has a down year compared to last year he still plays some pretty solid hockey, and playing 1st or second line minutes means he'll still get some meaningful production. The one way the Jets sign him before he goes UFA is by making a significant overpayment.

What I'd suggest is that unless we're clearly out of it by the trade deadline we hang on to Frolik (and even if we're out of it I don't know how much you get, the trade deadline market isn't what it used to be, and Frolik isn't a star player). You tell Frolik "we'd love to sign you, but I understand you want to test the market. We want you to go out and test the market. We think you'll find that our offer is more than fair and reasonable. If someone else offers you the same amount we paid you we hope you'll remember that we've always treated you and our other players fairly and that you'll want to re-sign with us. If someone offers you more, we hope you'll give us a chance to consider matching it. And if you don't get a higher offer, well our offer will still be on the table."

Yes, fine. Do that. But trade him for what we can get first. There is no rule preventing us from bidding on him as a UFA.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If the Jets can't sign Frolik during the season, then I think they have to trade him before the trade deadline. They need to get some assets back for him. The likelihood that they'll be able to sign him as a UFA if they couldn't during the season seems low. A number of teams might be disappointed with their season and have a lot of cap space (like Dallas) who will overpay for a player like Frolik.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If the Jets can't sign Frolik during the season, then I think they have to trade him before the trade deadline. They need to get some assets back for him. The likelihood that they'll be able to sign him as a UFA if they couldn't during the season seems low. A number of teams might be disappointed with their season and have a lot of cap space (like Dallas) who will overpay for a player like Frolik.

On the surface I agree but I think if the Jets are squarely in a playoff race they will retain and play it out even if they can't get him extended. Hope I am wrong but I don't think they will be sellers if we are in the hunt. :cry:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
On the surface I agree but I think if the Jets are squarely in a playoff race they will retain and play it out even if they can't get him extended. Hope I am wrong but I don't think they will be sellers if we are in the hunt. :cry:

I agree. I also hope you are wrong. Chevy still needs to see the big picture.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Are you kidding? he's WAY better. Let Scheifele weight in...from his interview today:

"Me and Fro played together last year, so I feel like we already have a lot of chemistry," said Scheifele. "And (Lowry) played an unbelievable game today, too. He’s a big body and he makes great plays. Both those guys played amazing tonight. I’m happy to be with him."

Interestingly, Scheifele’s game started to turn for the better last season while working on a line with Frolik. And he admitted there’s no coincidence the offence started to come with No. 67 on his flank again.

"He’s unbelievable," said Scheifele of Frolik. "I feel like everyone is fighting to play with him. He makes all the best plays, he rarely makes a mistake, he’s great offensively and great defensively. He just does everything right, and that’s everything you want in a linemate."

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Are you kidding? he's WAY better. Let Scheifele weight in...from his interview today:

"Me and Fro played together last year, so I feel like we already have a lot of chemistry," said Scheifele. "And (Lowry) played an unbelievable game today, too. He’s a big body and he makes great plays. Both those guys played amazing tonight. I’m happy to be with him."

Interestingly, Scheifele’s game started to turn for the better last season while working on a line with Frolik. And he admitted there’s no coincidence the offence started to come with No. 67 on his flank again.

"He’s unbelievable," said Scheifele of Frolik. "I feel like everyone is fighting to play with him. He makes all the best plays, he rarely makes a mistake, he’s great offensively and great defensively. He just does everything right, and that’s everything you want in a linemate."

Agreed. Frolik is a valuable part of this team and we just don't have the depth to lose players like him. Not to go OT but I'm still burned Chevy didn't work harder to get him signed in the off season. Hopefully, he does want to stay and we can get something reasonable done come Jan 1st. Maybe something like Little's deal $4.7 M per over 5 years.

Tonyuno

Jul 12, 2014
On an island
Didn't Crosby go eight games without scoring, maybe we could swap Crosby for Frolik. If teams traded players everytime they went through a dry spell the NHL would gave to hire FedEx to move them all.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
What else can we do besides hope he is willing to sign for something between $4 and $4.5M? If Walsh tongue tickles his ear with how much he'll get overpaid in UFA then bring back Burmistrov or someone competent for half the price and move on.

Frolik isn't going to find as good of a fit as he has here. So if he wants to get greedy, screw himself out of playing time and us out of a good player...then we move on. I have a feeling he'll be back. Who would want to leave an up and coming playoff team?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agreed. Frolik is a valuable part of this team and we just don't have the depth to lose players like him. Not to go OT but I'm still burned Chevy didn't work harder to get him signed in the off season. Hopefully, he does want to stay and we can get something reasonable done come Jan 1st. Maybe something like Little's deal $4.7 M per over 5 years.

Beyak was on the big show this morning and mentioned something about its possible Michael wanted to get paid for how he produced last season and Chevy said ok lets see how things go next season and then we will talk. Hard to convey the vibe Dennis had but it seemed to make some sense. Dennis said Fro really likes playing here and it sounded like he felt they would get a deal done even though I believe he stopped short of saying it. Take it for what its worth because I didn't catch 100% of the segment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad