What teams are best set for contending the next 5yrs?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Aside from FLA, DAL and NJ are the only teams "set up" for the next 5 years. Maybe Utah?

I don't buy the Pacific teams at all. I liked OTT's late resurgence last year but they're just too thin with what's coming from the pool. Buffalo...There's some The Who song about them. For CAR, a lot depends on their new blood.

Habs fans still do not realize how much further they have to go. Still 5-6 years out from being a serious team.
5-6 years?!? :laugh:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
There is currently no reason to believe Montreal, San Jose or Buffalo will suddenly become contenders inside the next 5 years. Better than bottom feeders sure, but they are a country mile away from contention.

Also let’s let NJ get back into the playoffs again before we annoint them contenders. They are definitely improved but it feels like people are really jumping the gun on Jersey.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I thought Steve Yzerman was the best GM in the league?

Oh wait that was when he was still in Tampa.

My mistake, it’s so hard to remember which GM benefits from low taxes these days!

I remember when Yzerman was only able to sign his stars to team friendly deals because of income taxes in Florida.

... Oddly doing the same thing with his core players in Detroit.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
No one’s arguing that it’s not a contributing factor, but it’s actually disingenuous to point to that as the only, or biggest for that matter, factor.
With the fact the cap is a hard cap.

It is a major contributing factor. People will point to it and I hate to say it is true.

Reinhart is a 10 million dollar player.

So to keep the competitive roster together and keep the chances it is a major contributor.

But yes yoy have to get good first to continue the success. It's why we see teams bad be bad a long time because it's hard to get out of. Example Florida Panthers with old ownership.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
There is currently no reason to believe Montreal, San Jose or Buffalo will suddenly become contenders inside the next 5 years. Better than bottom feeders sure, but they are a country mile away from contention.

Also let’s let NJ get back into the playoffs again before we annoint them contenders. They are definitely improved but it feels like people are really jumping the gun on Jersey.
5-6 years ago, Edmonton and NYR were bottom-feeders, and Florida didn't make the playoffs. Among the top teams were San Jose, Calgary, Washington, and NYI.

People have a hard time remembering how drastically the landscape changes in 5-6 years.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Kaprizov
Eriksson Ek
Boldy
Rossi
Yurov
Ohgren
Khusnutdinov

Faber
Brodin
Buium

Wallstedt

Largely dependent on Kaprizov resigning and one of Rossi/Yurov becoming Top 6 Cs but Wild are in the discussion in my biased opinion

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Contending for the next five years?

Florida, Toronto, New Jersey, Dallas, Colorado, Edmonton, and Vancouver.

Those are the teams that can pretend to win the Cup currently and who should still be able to say that in four or five years.

People mentioning Montreal, Minnesota, Ottawa, and so on... they're not contending right now. They might in a few years.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
5-6 years ago, Edmonton and NYR were bottom-feeders, and Florida didn't make the playoffs. Among the top teams were San Jose, Calgary, Washington, and NYI.

People have a hard time remembering how drastically the landscape changes in 5-6 years.
yes, but 5 years from now is very different from "over the next 5 years".

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
My Picks

Top contenders - Florida, Dallas

Secondary - Colorado, Boston, New Jersey ,

Third tier - Vancouver, Toronto , Buffalo

My Picks

Top contenders - Florida, Dallas

Secondary - Colorado, Boston, New Jersey , Tampa

Third tier - Vancouver, Toronto , Buffalo

Crow

May 19, 2014

You can add the hawks into the first group. Maybe a contender in 3 years.
Florida, NJ, Montreal, Utah, SJ
Don’t agree with San Jose. They need defensive prospects and those need to cook for a while.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
You can add the hawks into the first group. Maybe a contender in 3 years.

Don’t agree with San Jose. They need defensive prospects and those need to cook for a while.
Replace SJ with CHI, I don’t care

Reactions: Crow

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Why even pretend this a thread to solicit different opinions instead of just another Panthers glazing. Congrats on brining up the notion that the Panthers have the best contracts in the league, a previously unknown story to all. The only interesting part was trying to get away with calling guys like Luostarinen a "topliner???"
Reading much? Top9 aint a topliner... That is part of the 3 top lines. Helps to comprehend what you read. "7of the 9 topliners" usually mean Top9 doesnt it?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
After watching last night's game it's pretty obvious that Calgary belongs on the list. :sarcasm:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Great, another panthers thread where they pretend like they don’t benefit from low taxes.

it's okay, that Michkov guy in your avatar is gonna be really good i'm sure the Canadians will get some nice cap benefit out of him before they have to pay him

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
If no State Income tax led to teams being so successful why have the Predators sucked for their entire existence?

Imgoingtowork

Apr 15, 2024
Sweden
Chicago could potentially surprise a season if there was an improvement in the scoring record on the meant radar pair of Frank Nazar and Connor Bedard.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Ive only read the first few posts, so i am led to believe that the teams best set up for the next five years are Tampa, Florida, Vegas, Seattle, Nashville, and Dallas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad