What team is more likely to make the playoffs next season? Detroit or New Jersey

What team is more likely to make the playoffs next season?

• Detroit

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • New Jersey

Votes: 135 86.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Don't see anything outstanding in Detroit, while Jersey may or may not become outstanding team next few years... Of course everything might happen, but Jersey are better bet ATM.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Jersey quite obviously has a higher variance roster. If they can improve on team d and in goal - even marginally - getting back to the playoffs should be doable.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Who will they replace? (Washington and NY Islanders most likely) and what other teams are also in the race (Buffalo, Ottawa, and maybe Philly)? It not just Detroit and NJ who are expected to chase a PO spot next year.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Even as a Wings fan it’s probably NJ.

On paper they’re just much better, and will likely address their goaltending issues this off season.

Things could change during the off season of course and I feel like Yzerman may look to making a bit of a splash as we’re getting to the point of potentially losing some good prospects to waivers this season.

The Wings are still 2-3 years away from their top prospects making a real impact on the team

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It’ll be interesting to see this offseason if Jersey, Buffalo and Ottawa continue to get overhyped and Detroit continue to be underrated.

Either way it’s too early to say. Detroit’s the best bet right now but we have to see the offseason moves.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Who will they replace? (Washington and NY Islanders most likely) and what other teams are also in the race (Buffalo, Ottawa, and maybe Philly)? It not just Detroit and NJ who are expected to chase a PO spot next year.
Washington definitely , they will be a lottery team.

after that, there’s not much room.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Roster: NJD
Younger: NJD
Analytically: NJD
Worse Injury luck this past year: NJD
Worse shooting luck this past year: NJD (Detroit had a goal differential 31 goals above expectation, NJD -22)
More likely to make win now moves: NJD

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Roster: NJD
Younger: NJD
Analytically: NJD
Worse Injury luck this past year: NJD
Worse shooting luck this past year: NJD (Detroit had a goal differential 31 goals above expectation, NJD -22)
More likely to make win now moves: NJD
’Younger’ tends to be a negative here. It’s one of the reasons Detroit’s potentially taking a step back next season, they are likely forced to get younger.

Reactions: izlez

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Jersey had a lot of injuries should be healthy that alone will improve them. They need a goalie but believe they'll rectify that. red Wings are further back.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
’Younger’ tends to be a negative here. It’s one of the reasons Detroit’s potentially taking a step back next season, they are likely forced to get younger.
Detroit will likely be getting younger in that they'll be replacing veterans with rookies, (like NJD did this past year)

NJD is currently younger in that they have a number of key players still within their development window, the biggest ones being Luke and Nemec. Then of course Hughes, Mercer, Holtz, Bahl

Of U24 regulars, Detroit only has Raymond and Seider who you'd say are still in that under 24 development curve portion.

Detroit will be infusing youth like Edvinsson, but it will be in place of veterans and may cause a step back rather than forward.

That's what I mean by younger. More NHL regulars who I'd say are still in the "development window" that you'd expect to lead to internal improvement next year

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Detroit will likely be getting younger in that they'll be replacing veterans with rookies, (like NJD did this past year)

NJD is currently younger in that they have a number of key players still within their development window, the biggest ones being Luke and Nemec. Then of course Hughes, Mercer, Holtz, Bahl

Of U24 regulars, Detroit only has Raymond and Seider who you'd say are still in that under 24 development curve portion.

Detroit will be infusing youth like Edvinsson, but it will be in place of veterans and may cause a step back rather than forward.

That's what I mean by younger. More NHL regulars who I'd say are still in the "development window" that you'd expect to lead to internal improvement next year
Fair enough.
However after trading for Marner Detroit can afford to insert some youth into the lineup and still improve.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I thought Jersey would be a cup contender this year. So I take them despite my very poor looking original take.

Reactions: dalewood12

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
NJ, I feel they underachieved this year while Detroit overwchieved.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
People forget that Patrick Kane was a huge boost to Detroit's offense and it seems like he's walking away, so that's a major hole to fill offensively. Though I'm undecided between the two teams, I feel like both are bubble teams and either one of them could make it next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad