• -----------

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • Anaheim

Votes: 53 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I did. Looking around to see if there is ENGA numbers somewhere relative to get a picture for that. Found that NJ gave up 9 SHGA overall and only 4 with Hughes on the ice but no player breakdown for the goals against by personnel strength. NJ had 35 such goals scored against them (6-on-5, 6-on-4, 5-on-4, etc...). I don't see individual SHGA numbers posted in a quick to find location. Do you have one?
You can do the math yourself.

Overall luke was +17
Even strength he was -4
PP he was +38
Shorthanded he was -1

That leaves -16 for empty net situations.

NJD and Luke do need to be better with the net empty, but generally stuff like that is quite a bit luck based and varies vastly from year to year.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I did. Looking around to see if there is ENGA numbers somewhere relative to get a picture for that. Found that NJ gave up 9 SHGA overall and only 4 with Hughes on the ice but no player breakdown for the goals against by personnel strength. NJ had 35 such goals scored against them (6-on-5, 6-on-4, 5-on-4, etc...). I don't see individual SHGA numbers posted in a quick to find location. Do you have one?
You are discussing short handed goals against. The empty net goals seem to be a different stat.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm obviously biased so take my opinion with a truck of salt....

Half of Habs top 6 is in diapers. They just showed up to eat a donut and went back down. We will get a much better picture of what we have by Xmas.

Will Hutsons be that elusive high scoring midget from hell?

Will Mailman and X tilt the ice?

Is Rein a storm or a shower?

I like to revisit this question in a year, then we will have a much better idea of who in the NHL has the new Ministry of Defense. (unless you are an old timer, you probably don't know what I'm talking about)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You are discussing short handed goals against. The empty net goals seem to be a different stat.

Mistyped SHGA instead of ENGA. There is no individual breakout for it on the NHL stat site (or any of the ones scraping that data). I have corrected my typo.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Also btw

2.41 goals against/60 for luke 5v5.

Here are some notable dman to give up more goals/60

Every other devils dman
Miro Heiskanen
Brock Faber
Jake Sanderson
Owen Power
Cale Makar
etc

Luke's problem was actually scoring goals, not preventing them, and that stemmed from the fact that NJD struggled to finish their chances with him on the ice, sporting a 7.16% shooting%, and 0.8 xGoals/60 below expectation (18 goals below expectation total)

Luke actually gave up less 5v5 goals than every other devils dman last year.

His +/- comes from empty netters and the fact that NJD couldn't finish for shit with him on the ice 5v5 (18 goals below expectation, and a 7.16% shooting rate)
My eye test wouldn't suggest he was the best defensive guy in his own zone. Just subjective, but nobody on NJ was consistent enough to really stand out. At times it looked like Colin Miller and at other times it looked like Nemec. Luke can wander a bit and at times was a bit slow with his decision making. Again, not terrible but he will be much better with improvement. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: Guadana

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
My eye test wouldn't suggest he was the best defensive guy in his own zone. Just subjective, but nobody on NJ was consistent enough to really stand out. At times it looked like Colin Miller and at other times it looked like Nemec. Luke can wander a bit and at times was a bit slow with his decision making. Again, not terrible but he will be much better with improvement. Just my thoughts.
I'm not saying he was either.

Luke was a weird one in that he actually got pretty good goaltending, and AWFUL finishing with him on the ice.

Just pointing out that people using luke's +/- to point at his struggles defensively is simply stupid.

Luke generated a TON of chances, he also gave up a lot of chances. Overall save %s (5v5) with Luke on the ice was 0.928 for the opponent and 0.917 for NJD, lowering the actual goal output for both sides significantly with him on the ice.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I'm not saying he was either.

Luke was a weird one in that he actually got pretty good goaltending, and AWFUL finishing with him on the ice.

Just pointing out that people using luke's +/- to point at his struggles defensively is simply stupid.

Luke generated a TON of chances, he also gave up a lot of chances. Overall save %s (5v5) with Luke on the ice was 0.928 for the opponent and 0.917 for NJD, lowering the actual goal output for both sides significantly with him on the ice.
Let's call it simplistic. Stupid is harsh.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Mistyped SHGA instead of ENGA. There is no individual breakout for it on the NHL stat site (or any of the ones scraping that data). I have corrected my typo.

Hughes was fine defensively 5v5. The team as a whole was murdered in empty net situations and gave up far and away the most in the league. And of course Hughes as a prime offensive defenseman was almost always on the ice in those situations.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Devils easily. Chicago and Anaheim are sick too.
Montreal has Chicago and Anaheim beat.

Mailloux- AHL all star as a rookie
Hutson- hobey baker nominee twice
Reinbacher -5th overall and already two years pro.

Add Guhle who is a very young stud already.

Our bottom pairing guys will be a mix of seasoned youth(Engstrom- top pair SHL and only 21?), Xhekaj who’s a force . Even our remaining youth of Harris and Struble have top four potential.

We have poor forward depth, but our D corps will be top of the class

• Haha
Reactions: Crow and HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Montreal has Chicago and Anaheim beat.

Mailloux- AHL all star as a rookie
Hutson- hobey baker nominee twice
Reinbacher -5th overall and already two years pro.

Add Guhle who is a very young stud already.

Our bottom pairing guys will be a mix of seasoned youth(Engstrom- top pair SHL and only 21?), Xhekaj who’s a force . Even our remaining youth of Harris and Struble have top four potential.

We have poor forward depth, but our D corps will be top of the class
I won't call our forward depth poor, maybe challenged at worse.

There is no doubt that our over-reliance on one line is causing problem but if Dach resumes the form he had last season, then he, Newhook and Anderson can take some pressure off. Then Demidov enters the conversation.

We could use another young top 6 by converting our excess defenseman, but that will be a challenge. At some point, we need to give up on some players, but not for at least a year.

This will be another development year so let the chips fall where they fall. Once we get Demidov into the fold and see what we have in terms of of top 6 defenseman, then the pressure of moving forward for another top 6 can be re-examined.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Also btw

2.41 goals against/60 for luke 5v5.

Here are some notable dman to give up more goals/60

Every other devils dman
Miro Heiskanen
Brock Faber
Jake Sanderson
Owen Power
Cale Makar
etc

Luke's problem was actually scoring goals, not preventing them, and that stemmed from the fact that NJD struggled to finish their chances with him on the ice, sporting a 7.16% shooting%, and 0.8 xGoals/60 below expectation (18 goals below expectation total)

Luke actually gave up less 5v5 goals than every other devils dman last year.

His +/- comes from empty netters and the fact that NJD couldn't finish for shit with him on the ice 5v5 (18 goals below expectation, and a 7.16% shooting rate)

NJ and Ottawa both gave up 281 goals against. So no difference there. Sanderson QoC was also tougher.

Sanderson 2.39 xGA/60

Luke Hughes 2.68 xGA/60

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
NJ and Ottawa both gave up 281 goals against. So no difference there. Sanderson QoC was also tougher.

Sanderson 2.39 xGA/60

Luke Hughes 2.68 xGA/60
Yes, I am aware.

If you've read anything I've said about Sanderson you'll know I think he's incredible and one of the most valuable assets in hockey. (see any of my comments in the Sanderson vs Seider vs Power vs Dahlin thread or my comments in the MTL vs Det vs Ott vs Buff future thread). Probably my number 1 U23 dman in the NHL going forward

And I agree xGoals are more accurate. I was pointing out how Luke (outside of empty net situations), didn't actually give up all that many goals.

Now, it was an interesting thing for luke. He was a high event player (lots of chances both ways) last year, but a low outcome player (not many goals scored either way when he was on the ice). NJD got good goaltending behind luke, and very bad finishing. His actual goal results are reversed from his expected goal results.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I won't call our forward depth poor, maybe challenged at worse.

There is no doubt that our over-reliance on one line is causing problem but if Dach resumes the form he had last season, then he, Newhook and Anderson can take some pressure off. Then Demidov enters the conversation.

We could use another young top 6 by converting our excess defenseman, but that will be a challenge. At some point, we need to give up on some players, but not for at least a year.

This will be another development year so let the chips fall where they fall. Once we get Demidov into the fold and see what we have in terms of of top 6 defenseman, then the pressure of moving forward for another top 6 can be re-examined.
Sorry mate, I was referring more to our F prospects. We have solid young pieces with our top line, Dach( if he can stay healthy) and Newhook. After that there isn’t much. Roy and Beck are both middle sixers and we have Demidov who’s gonna be a stud and Hage who should round out the top six. Still a little thin in my opinion. I think after this years draft and another year of development will put things into perspective.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sorry mate, I was referring more to our F prospects. We have solid young pieces with our top line, Dach( if he can stay healthy) and Newhook. After that there isn’t much. Roy and Beck are both middle sixers and we have Demidov who’s gonna be a stud and Hage who should round out the top six. Still a little thin in my opinion. I think after this years draft and another year of development will put things into perspective.
Were talking about the same thing but by me calling them top 6, it's confusing if I'm talking about forwards or defenseman.

I absolutely agree we are thin on top 6 forwards. That's why I wanted Monahan back, but not for his term. Three years tops, but like any player, he looked after his future.

There is still a small chance that we pull a youngster of or a trade, but at this point, teams will be looking to see if their last year underperformers moved the needle for them.

I would be looking at teams like Philly, were their volatile coach is quick to declare his charges as dead-on-arrival. There are a few youngsters that I'm high on. but nothing spectacular.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Were talking about the same thing but by me calling them top 6, it's confusing if I'm talking about forwards or defenseman.

I absolutely agree we are thin on top 6 forwards. That's why I wanted Monahan back, but not for his term. Three years tops, but like any player, he looked after his future.

There is still a small chance that we pull a youngster of or a trade, but at this point, teams will be looking to see if their last year underperformers moved the needle for them.

I would be looking at teams like Philly, were their volatile coach is quick to declare his charges as dead-on-arrival. There are a few youngsters that I'm high on. but nothing spectacular.
Speaking of Philly, Torts and Michkov should be interesting haha.

As long as we progress moving forward I have faith that Hughes will jump on my opportunity that could bolster our lineup. He’s a wizard and it feels great having faith in our management again

Reactions: HabsAddict

DollardStLaurent

May 15, 2014
I just sit back and snicker at these posts. Throwing numbers out that say Hughes is good defensively is like Biden saying the inflation numbers are down. The fact of the matter is Hughes is a liability defensively.

Also, saying that Sanderson is one of the most valuable assets in hockey is ludicrous.

If anyone thinks that one of Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux or Guhle will be an all-star is hallucinating.

Come on guys. Get real.

DollardStLaurent

May 15, 2014
Good thing no-one said that then,
What I read was poster said,
Probably my number 1 U23 dman in the NHL going forward
If you look above dgibb 10 said "If you've read anything I've said about Sanderson you'll know I think he's incredible and one of the most valuable assets in hockey."

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If you look above dgibb 10 said "If you've read anything I've said about Sanderson you'll know I think he's incredible and one of the most valuable assets in hockey."
Thanks , adding clarity to your post.

If you've read anything I've said about Sanderson you'll know I think he's incredible and one of the most valuable assets in hockey. (see any of my comments in the Sanderson vs Slider vs Power vs Dahlin thread or my comments in the MTL vs Det vs Ott vs Buff future thread). Probably my number 1 U23 dman in the NHL going forward

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor
I just sit back and snicker at these posts. Throwing numbers out that say Hughes is good defensively is like Biden saying the inflation numbers are down. The fact of the matter is Hughes is a liability defensively.

Also, saying that Sanderson is one of the most valuable assets in hockey is ludicrous.

If anyone thinks that one of Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux or Guhle will be an all-star is hallucinating.

Come on guys. Get real.
As if you actually watch NJ Devils games.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
There are very few assets I would trade Jake Sanderson on an 8x8 contract for yes. He is imo the best dman to get drafted within the last 5 years.

If I said Jake Sanderson was one of the best players in the NHL right now, that would be a different argument.

You are welcome to go through each team and tell me which assets you'd rather have from them.

Reactions: HBK27 and Guadana

My3Sons

Sponsor
Actually I do, I live in New York and watch most of the Devils' games.
I'm skeptical a Rangers or Isles fan watches "most" of the NJ games. Especially last year when they were terrible and not an interesting team to watch. I'm sure you watch a few minutes here and there when it's between periods of the game for a team you like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad