Votes: 25 6.3%
  • Anaheim

Votes: 53 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
This is where the debate quickly end.

Habs fan who really love our Dcore but let’s be real that NJ top 4 clears everyone else AINEC. I don’t care about your depth chart.

Quality >>>> Quantiy

Devils for now, but who knows in the future. If you look at the devils top 4 + habs top 4, only 3 of the 8 players are in the nhl, and none of them are close to their potential yet. Things could change easily in a couple of years.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I think there's a variety of answers because many of the players discussed are still prospects.

Chicago, Montreal, and Anaheim are all in a similar tier that boast quantity over quality (based on the other teams mentioned). Chicago and Anaheim may have 1 guy that could be the #1 guy, and depending on how you feel about Hutson/Reinbacher that would be MTL's example.

Buffalo, NJ, and Detroit are all a tier above IMO. The might not boast the depth, but their high-end guys are higher/more established. Dahlin and Seider have their flaws but are great anchors on the blueline. I probably like Edvinsson more long-term so that's why I like Det. I prefer NJ & Det's mix on D so that's why I'd give them the edge. Power is still finding his footing and Byram is a bit of a wildcard right now.

Therefore, for me:

NJ
DET
BUF
CHI/MTL/ANA (personal preference, can't go wrong)
CBJ

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Anaheim, NJ, Buffalo are all with other top young D that will be determined as they develop. Some crazy talent on 7 or 8 teams.
I lean towards the Ducks. Mintyukov has
improved his Defensive game and his abilities on offense is his strongest part of his game. Zellweger another top prospect. Watching Dionicio being a OHL fanatic has been under rated but was outstanding all year and during the MC. He’s a sleeper that could turn some heads as he develops over the next couple years.
Honestly their is not much separating the top 5 teams or so. Accept for time

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Edvinsson - Seider
Buium - Axel Sandin Pellikka

Wallinder - Anton Johnasson
Cleveland - Tuomisto

Brady Cleveland didn’t make the US World Juniors summer showcase in his last year of eligibility. No 2nd round pick or higher from the USNTDP program has ever missed on that invite. That’s after wrapping up a pointless debut season in the NCAA. Not exactly the prospect you want to boast about…

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Brady Cleveland didn’t make the US World Juniors summer showcase in his last year of eligibility. No 2nd round pick or higher from the USNTDP program has ever missed on that invite. That’s after wrapping up a pointless debut season in the NCAA. Not exactly the prospect you want to boast about…
The Cleveland slander will NOT be tolerated

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I can’t put Buffalo that high right now. Byram has been hot garbage since his cup run with the Avs. Hence why he was traded. If he can figure it out again then sure, but so far he hasn’t at all.

Buffalo
NJ
MTL
Detroit
Anaheim

Funny post from the Leafs and Flames fans saying MTL only have B's and C's prospects and no top pair defenceman.

- Reinbacher is projecting to be the best defenceman in 2023 draft.
- Guhle is already playing 1st and MTL best defenceman.
- Hutson is the best offensive defenceman prospect coming from the NCAA in a long time.
- Mailloux was a top 5 defenceman in the AHL last season while been a rookie.
- Xhekaj is probably the most physical defenceman in the league.
- Engstrom was #1 defenceman on his WJC team 2 years ago.
This is a hilarious thing to say. First off, it was a weak draft for defensemen, nothing to brag about. Second, do you base all prospects trending on where they were drafted? Because that’s the vibe that comment is giving off.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
I can’t put Buffalo that high right now. Byram has been hot garbage since his cup run with the Avs. Hence why he was traded. If he can figure it out again then sure, but so far he hasn’t at all.

This is a hilarious thing to say. First off, it was a weak draft for defensemen, nothing to brag about. Second, do you base all prospects trending on where they were drafted? Because that’s the vibe that comment is giving off.

To be fair even without Byram we still have the best defenseman, and another 1OA D who looks good to go along with him.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Edvinsson-Seider
Al. Johansson-ASP
Wallinder-Buium
Tuomisto
An. Johansson

That's probably how Detroit's pipe looks. Ed and ASP have very high ceilings. The other guys are probably all #4-6s.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
From my unbiased point of view, i would like to think its the vancouver canucks, once again completely unbiased.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I thought Sabre's fans were pretty down on Power last season?
He looked uncomfortable for sure. Probably needs to improve positioning but honestly, the coaching sagged last season. Granato had the entire team looking unprepared, unsure and unmotivated. Power was one of the players that seemed to fall victim.

Reactions: Xirik

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He looked uncomfortable for sure. Probably needs to improve positioning but honestly, the coaching sagged last season. Granato had the entire team looking unprepared, unsure and unmotivated. Power was one of the players that seemed to fall victim.

He has issues with his d-zone game, particularly the engagement and even basic physical play, and has since I've watched him with Chicago until now. Pairing him with someone else who also tends to be a bit positionally weak and often makes haphazard decisions defensively in Jokiharju has also not been a benefit IMO. His retrieval and transition abilities are excellent, his instincts offensively in the other team's zone are strong, and his shot has progressed. But that d-zone game and a lack of reliable partner does him no favors.

Then add in how the team in general never adapted from being rush oriented and instead had a forward or worse two jumping the d-zone early put even more stress on the defensemen to be perfect with their outlets. All I ask is that Ruff gets the forwards to regularly commit to playing on the right side of the puck and a bunch of the warts of their returning pro blueline will be reduced. There was so little d-zone support both with back pressure and holding the zone, so little short passing option availability, so little ability for teammates to support one another... so frustrating to watch night after night and no adjustments.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He has issues with his d-zone game, particularly the engagement and even basic physical play, and has since I've watched him with Chicago until now. Pairing him with someone else who also tends to be a bit positionally weak and often makes haphazard decisions defensively in Jokiharju has also not been a benefit IMO. His retrieval and transition abilities are excellent, his instincts offensively in the other team's zone are strong, and his shot has progressed. But that d-zone game and a lack of reliable partner does him no favors.

Then add in how the team in general never adapted from being rush oriented and instead had a forward or worse two jumping the d-zone early put even more stress on the defensemen to be perfect with their outlets. All I ask is that Ruff gets the forwards to regularly commit to playing on the right side of the puck and a bunch of the warts of their returning pro blueline will be reduced. There was so little d-zone support both with back pressure and holding the zone, so little short passing option availability, so little ability for teammates to support one another... so frustrating to watch night after night and no adjustments.

Unless you’re getting a completely different Lindy than he just was in Jersey you’re not getting that lol

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

A much more thoughtful assessment.

I can't imagine Ruff having a less effective strategy or having the team less prepared than Granato. So there's that.

I don't want to be good on paper anymore. I want to be good on ice

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Filling the #1D spot is by far the most difficult thing. I think Montreal’s being overrated with that in mind. Reinbacher is their only realistic hope for a true #1 and he had a really bad d+1 by any measure, even more so considering how much he had to prove he was worth the draft position.

Reactions: HBK27 and dgibb10

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
I’m a little surprised Carolina hasn’t even gotten a mention. They lost a couple guys this year, but still retained talent and have some guys who will be NHL ready shortly.

Also, Colorado has to be on the list purely for having Makar, who looks to be a generational talent.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Also, Colorado has to be on the list purely for having Makar, who looks to be a generational talent.

Apparently folks in this thread decided that D can no longer be elite after the age of 28.

I'm willing to bet that Cale Makar will be better at age 32 than Luke Hughes will be at age 27.

Reactions: MD93

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Edvinsson-Seider
Al. Johansson-ASP
Wallinder-Buium
Tuomisto
An. Johansson

That's probably how Detroit's pipe looks. Ed and ASP have very high ceilings. The other guys are probably all #4-6s.
Just for clarity, it’s Zeev’s brother Shai Buium.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Apparently folks in this thread decided that D can no longer be elite after the age of 28.

I'm willing to bet that Cale Makar will be better at age 32 than Luke Hughes will be at age 27.
But Hughes with Nemec and Silayev will be better than Jiricek, Mateychuk and Svozil. And most likely on the level with Makar, Toews and Gulyaev as a group.
This topic is still about group, not about best defenseman in the next ten years.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
But Hughes with Nemec and Silayev will be better than Jiricek, Mateychuk and Svozil. And most likely on the level with Makar, Toews and Gulyaev as a group.
This topic is still about group, not about best defenseman in the next ten years.

Werenski is still young, I could see him and Mateychuk and Jiricek potentially being better than the Devils trio. It's too early to tell. Or it could still be Makar, Gulyayev and rando (or Toews if you're talking about the next five years). Like the Avs don't even have to draft a third D, if the other two plus a signing is better than NJ / CBJ, then that's all that counts.

The team we really aren't talking enough about here is Dallas. Heiskanen just turned 25, he's going to be great for maybe the entire next decade. Add Harley and Bichsel to that and they might have the best.

• Haha
Reactions: Wierzbowski426

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad