What Should the new Atlanta NHL team be named?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Atlanta Nordiques to make the transition a lot easier.

Crap. I guess I wasn’t original with saying the same thing lmao.
that joke has been made by 20+ different people at this point

IMG_6202.jpeg

IMG_6204.jpeg

IMG_6203.jpeg

IMG_6205.jpeg

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Also pretty dumb as the Nordiques were moved too.

Not really, since they haven’t been moved twice. The Nordiques also had pretty middle of the pack attendance compared to the Thrashers who were competing with the Coyotes and Isles for worst attendance in the league. Even the Flames in their last season in Atlanta were only ahead of two teams that would end up relocating.

It stings to lose your team, but you can’t really be surprised that people think it’s a bad idea can you?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Not really, since they haven’t been moved twice. The Nordiques also had pretty middle of the pack attendance compared to the Thrashers who were competing with the Coyotes and Isles for worst attendance in the league. Even the Flames in their last season in Atlanta were only ahead of two teams that would end up relocating.

It stings to lose your team, but you can’t really be surprised that people think it’s a bad idea can you?
I do think it's comical to keep discussing the Flames which was moved almost 50 years ago. I mean, Quebec had the Bulldogs 100 years ago...just as irrelevant to include them. Atlanta has more than doubled in size since the Flames moved.

Depends on which seasons you're focused on for attendance. In each season after the Spirit bought the team, attendance dropped by roughly 1K (shocking). In multiple seasons, the Thrashers had better attendance than the Bruins, Blackhawks, Preds, Blues, Devils, and Caps.

Atlanta is a metro of almost 6.2 million people growing at an average annual pace of 2% over the last 30years. It's added over 1.5 million people since the Thrashers left. Tons of corporate $$ here as well. Not sure why you wouldn't put a team here.

Reactions: CTHabsfan

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I do think it's comical to keep discussing the Flames which was moved almost 50 years ago. I mean, Quebec had the Bulldogs 100 years ago...just as irrelevant to include them. Atlanta has more than doubled in size since the Flames moved.

Depends on which seasons you're focused on for attendance. In each season after the Spirit bought the team, attendance dropped by roughly 1K (shocking). In multiple seasons, the Thrashers had better attendance than the Bruins, Blackhawks, Preds, Blues, Devils, and Caps.

Atlanta is a metro of almost 6.2 million people growing at an average annual pace of 2% over the last 30years. It's added over 1.5 million people since the Thrashers left. Tons of corporate $$ here as well. Not sure why you wouldn't put a team here.

They’re just kind of an aside. The point is that the failure isn’t a once off.

It’s kind of weak to blame an ownership group when their 2nd and 4th worst years of attendance came before that ownership group, and their numbers actually went up when they took over.

That’s fine. Population only matters if people want to attend the sport. Atlanta gets great attendance to Football and Soccer, but hockey clearly doesn’t have the same following there. It’s not that Atlanta isn’t a sports city. They’re just not really a hockey city. Lots of sports have failed in Edmonton too and they’re as die hard of sports fans as you’ll find. They just prefer hockey.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Probably something around General William Tecumseh Sherman’s March to the Sea

ETA: guy above beat me

ETA #2: I suppose the Flames were a homage to Sherman? Tbh I don’t know a single thing about the ATL Flames. They were before my time and a forgotten team

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
They’re just kind of an aside. The point is that the failure isn’t a once off.

It’s kind of weak to blame an ownership group when their 2nd and 4th worst years of attendance came before that ownership group, and their numbers actually went up when they took over.

That’s fine. Population only matters if people want to attend the sport. Atlanta gets great attendance to Football and Soccer, but hockey clearly doesn’t have the same following there. It’s not that Atlanta isn’t a sports city. They’re just not really a hockey city. Lots of sports have failed in Edmonton too and they’re as die hard of sports fans as you’ll find. They just prefer hockey.
The Thrashers existed for eleven seasons. They qualified for the playoffs once, getting swept in the first round. Seems like a good reason why people wouldn't want to attend Thrashers games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad