Proposal: What Should the Bruins do this Summer? III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
just to help people understand our cap issue i'll lay it out with pastrnak/spooner signed

krejci 7.25
rask 7
bergeron 6.88
marchand 6.13
backes 6
pastrnak 6
krug 5.25
chara 4
belesky 3.8
spooner 3
mcquaid 2.75
miller 2.5
hayes 2.3
seiderberg buyout 2.17
khubodin 1.2

this is 14 warm bodies making 66.23 mill leaving 8.77 mill to fill out 9 more spots

mcavoy/carlo have performancd bonus that mighg take another 690k

so... 8 mill for 9 spots

ANY BIG CONTRACTS COMING IN MUST REQUIRE BIG CONTRACTS LEAVING

spooner could leave... i have him at 3 mill... we can replace him for 800k... increases our space 2.2

hayes could go to minors... increases our space around 600 k after we promote a kid

one of mcquaid or miller might be dealt to bring back our desired dman...

ive created around 5 mill to fit in a new dman... but where else can we create room? would anyone take belesky? will krecji waive his nmc?

trade ideas or free agent deals need to be cap compliant and this is our cap. thats why i suggest iginla... thats why i suggest giving up a pick or kid to dump belesky

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
to further understand our cap limit lets say the ultimate dream comes true

belesky, hayes, spooner, mcquaid, khubodin all dissapear... thats 13 mill and we dress 3 kids at 2.5 elc. we now have 11 of 23 spots filled with elc contracts

AND WE STILL ONLY HAVE 11.5 TO ADD THESE 2 HUGE CONTRACTS PEOPLE WANT

so trying to talk about adding landeskog AND a dman... or getting both thornton and marleau here.. isnt very realistic at all

plan to trade away someone good and expensive if you want to add someone good and expensive

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
You don't think teams would take on DK? He's one of the few pieces on this team that could easily be flipped. Teams would line up for a package of DK and Mcquaid. That's $10 mil off the books right there. Plenty of space for someone like Draisaitl
You're overlooking one big factor: NMC. Does David want to go anywhere? From everything I've read, he, and his family (Boston roots) are very happy here. No incentive to waive.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
to further understand our cap limit lets say the ultimate dream comes true

belesky, hayes, spooner, mcquaid, khubodin all dissapear... thats 13 mill and we dress 3 kids at 2.5 elc. we now have 11 of 23 spots filled with elc contracts

AND WE STILL ONLY HAVE 11.5 TO ADD THESE 2 HUGE CONTRACTS PEOPLE WANT

so trying to talk about adding landeskog AND a dman... or getting both thornton and marleau here.. isnt very realistic at all

plan to trade away someone good and expensive if you want to add someone good and expensive

So why do so many of your trade proposals have average players that are expensive?

On a more serious note. I don't think they need to look externally for much help. A high priced LHD would be a luxary for this team, not a need. A top 6 wing would be good, but they need to fix the 3rd line more.

Marchand-Bergeron-Backes
X-Krejci-Pastrnak

That's a good top 6. I think one of the kids can do the X role at least adequately.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So why do so many of your trade proposals have average players that are expensive?

On a more serious note. I don't think they need to look externally for much help. A high priced LHD would be a luxary for this team, not a need. A top 6 wing would be good, but they need to fix the 3rd line more.

Marchand-Bergeron-Backes
X-Krejci-Pastrnak

That's a good top 6. I think one of the kids can do the X role at least adequately.

most my trades are guys signed for 3 years in exchange guys for 1 year... or salary retained... or guys front loaded that become easier to move in a couple seasons...

ive only laid out our immediate cap here... as guys like carlo and mcavoy get bumped in 2 years the picture doesnt get better. chara might be gone but that only pays 1 guy. and without chara is this group good enough? if you are planning to go with krug/miller and 2 kids with less than 2 years experience as your top 4 next year thats pretty scary

you are right that we can gamble on a kid stepping up front but you got backes in your top 6... what mess are you planning for 3rd line? spooner/hayes/vatrano? or stick kids here too? or is nash/belesky/schaller going to be the 3rd line?

theres nothing wrong hoping 1 of zboril/lauzon surprises us and becomes ready for nhl duty this year.... i hope at least 4 of chelerik/debrusk/heinen/bjorak/kuraly/czarik/accari/senshyn/jacob forsberg win roster spots too. but expecting any of these kids to be mortal locks or blue chip superstars is a reach. putting too much pressure on any of them is a mistake

leave 1 spot open in top 6... move backes to 3rd line and leave a kid spot open... a spot open on 4th line... a spot open in press box... a d spot open for 7th...

putting more than 5 kids on the team will be a mistake and im not even counting carlo and mcavoy so thats 7 kids...

we have room to add a vet winger to play with krejci and a vet dman to play with mcavoy but we must move spooner/miller or mcquaid to make the cap work.

money in - money out

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Have to admit some of the names we are discussing, the week PRIOR to July 1, are downright depressing. Old dudes, recycling bin reclamation projects and at best, #4 dmen.

Is this just a nice diversion from being frustrated at the lack of real additions, or are people legitimately ceding that this is where we are? The recycling bin.

What have we seen as far as signings or trades to suggest otherwise? THis is a full rebuild so the positions are expected to be filled internally.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
What have we seen as far as signings or trades to suggest otherwise? THis is a full rebuild so the positions are expected to be filled internally.

when did any management person say its a rebuild? they say we are a playoff team. theyve let guys go not to rebuild/but only to shuffle cap. theyve spent money on guys like belesky/backes/mcquaid not to rebuild- but to retool

us hf fans might want a roster full of kids (and yes believe it or not but i was calling to trade chara/rask/marchand/krejci/lucic 3 years ago and go with kids so im a fan of kids too) but NOTHING MANAGEMENT HAS DONE SAYS JACOBS WILL SUPPORT A FULL REBUILD

our cap limits sweeneys ability to make moves for vets but every indication says he is trying. if he can move bad contract you better expect an influx of vets or you are going to be disappointed

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Not much available in the FA class although Radulov is intriguing.

A guy who I think would fit nicely and give us a little more presence is Brian Boyle. Shouldn't be too pricey and brings toughness that we desperately lack.

Not sure what else can be done. Move Spooner in a deal I suppose. Expect pretty much the same vanilla group.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
OK, it's almost July, time to say ... at least sign Pasta to a deal.

its unlikely pastrnak will agree to a bridge and be happy... but in rare occassion some players take less to fit a teammate into the cap. maybe pastrnak will wait if we can do a deal that makes us cap worthy?

wishful thinking on my part but i see no need to sign him for next couple weeks. we havent heard hes asking for 9 mill so have to assume his ask is in the right ballpark and deal will get done. my prediction is now 7x $6.5

little less than i expect draisdailt to get

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
A healthy, motivated Beleskey could make a pretty big difference on a third line, and if Vatrano comes into camp rested and healthy, could well make good on some of the promise he's shown. If those two things happen, and it isn't beyond the realm of possibility, we don't need two major adds- the LHD would be my choice, and we could add a less expensive short-term option as a winger as insurance. Cap problem then isn't so much of a problem.

With Beleskey and Vatrano putting up good seasons and a top 4 dman, we go from fringe playoff team to a team that could make a decent run next season.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Not much available in the FA class although Radulov is intriguing.

A guy who I think would fit nicely and give us a little more presence is Brian Boyle. Shouldn't be too pricey and brings toughness that we desperately lack.

Not sure what else can be done. Move Spooner in a deal I suppose. Expect pretty much the same vanilla group.

what does it mean to bring boyle in? got to think he wont sign a 1 year. he turns 33 this year. is a 25 point guy in his best seasons...

does he get in the way of forsberg and frederic? certainly makes it tough for kuraly to play center. im thinking boyle isnt signing for a mill... maybe not even 2 mill...

as for radulov how intriguing is a 7 mill forward? intriguing enough that you would trade pastrnak to afford him? or marchand? i dont think krejci can be dealt without taking salary back and im positive backes cant be

we need to focus more on bargain bin guys that might fill a hole. we have craploads of 3rd and 4th line kids but at least 1 hole in the top 6. but no money to spend on whoever we ask to fill it. 2 holes if backes drops down to 3rd line

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I'm worried Sweeney spends all our cap on Defense. I say we sign a vet like Vrbata or Williams unless we can move some Salary for a young established winger. I would trade most of our forward prospects for Boone Jenner.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
A healthy, motivated Beleskey could make a pretty big difference on a third line, and if Vatrano comes into camp rested and healthy, could well make good on some of the promise he's shown. If those two things happen, and it isn't beyond the realm of possibility, we don't need two major adds- the LHD would be my choice, and we could add a less expensive short-term option as a winger as insurance. Cap problem then isn't so much of a problem.

With Beleskey and Vatrano putting up good seasons and a top 4 dman, we go from fringe playoff team to a team that could make a decent run next season.

agreed and honestly hayes has nhl talent... his problem is compete/effort. hayes in a contract year might be a very decent 3rd liner

a healthy belesky is a VERY GOOD 4th liner... adequet 3rd liner...

a vatrano in shape who improves a bit defensively might be ok sniper for a second line.

honestly i have 2 of these guys pencilled into the lineup this year (my faith in vatrano isnt as strong as my expectation for debrusk or heinen. see one of these 2 kids passing vatrano on depth chart)

these guys had career worst years last season... expecting some bounce back is reasonable

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
my 74 million 23 msn roster after giving pastrnak/spooner 9 mill

pastrnak/bergeron/marchand
spooner/krejci/open competition
hayes/backes/open competition
nash/belesky/open competition
schaller/open competition

mcavoy/miller
krug/mcquaid
chara/carlo
open competition

so i have 5 spots open for kids... so do the bruins.

i see 2 weak spots in the lineup that should be addressed. spooner cant play wing or 3rd line center. his spot should be filled but not by a kid...

and

we have 4 right shot dmen. one should be exchanged for a left shot

if spooner and one of the vet right dmen go thats 5.5 mill according to my math. thats 5.5 to replace them. the dmen we are wanting all cost 4 mill and up... so the forward needs to be only a million

or othercontracts need to be slashed

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
There are 10 teams with 20 million or more in cap space https://www.capfriendly.com/

you really need to look at who is signed... not signed... this year/next year

if a team only has 13 guys signed and 20 mill cap space but 2 of their unsignef guys will end up 9 mill between them, then that team has zero cap space

id say realistically colorado/arizona/vancouver/jersey might have cap space for a bad contract. i dont think vegas does... and no team that wants to contend would do it either

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

This is where I have been at. A Landy would be nice, sure, but I'm willing to cross my fingers the kids (DeBrusk, Bjork, Heinen, Vatrano, Cehlarik, JFK) and/or Beleskey will sure up the middle six. Not all of those guys will be useful players this year. And probably not all of those guys will be useful players ever. But, you really just need a few to work out.

On the D side, just not a fan of going into the season with Kevan on his offside. Its fine in a pinch, but I don't want it to be plan A. I really think that if you add a Scandella and subtract one of Kevan/McQuaid (for cap) the D is Cup caliber. The goalie is Cup caliber. The 1st line is Cup caliber. Can Krejci + Backes + a bunch of kids make a strong enough middle six? In a cap era, you have to hope your cheap kids can pull it off.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
you really need to look at who is signed... not signed... this year/next year

if a team only has 13 guys signed and 20 mill cap space but 2 of their unsignef guys will end up 9 mill between them, then that team has zero cap space

id say realistically colorado/arizona/vancouver/jersey might have cap space for a bad contract. i dont think vegas does... and no team that wants to contend would do it either

Exactly.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
It would be nice to see some movement on the Bs roster, for excitement and to get a feel for where management wants to go, youth or FA to take another run etc.

The issue is the Bruins have no real flexibility to make substantial/big moves. Perhaps the only exception would be trade a couple of their high end prospects along with a few terrible contracts which is so counter productive its not funny.

I posted last week the Bruins have dedicated 60% of their roster to the following 8 players: Rask 9.33%, Krejci 9.67%, Bergeron 9.17%, Marchand 8%, Backes 8%, Krug 7%, Chara 5.33% and Belesky 5%. All of these players have some form of NMC in their contract and only one has shorter than 3 years remaining is Chara of course.

That leaves 40% for the other 12 players dressed every night and 2-3 in the players box.

The good news in that the Bruins D is pretty much filled out except for their depth defender which to me feels like Cross or a rookie and that total percentage not including Chara and Krug is about another 9%.

The problem is the 4 forward positions (2 of which are top six roles) to fill and one of those contracts could be an 8x6 deal for Pasta.

The RFA signings will be the most interesting things the Bruins do this summer I think.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

True but I sure wouldn't want to count on both Beleskey and Vatrano having great years, combined with Krejci's inconsistencies the last couple of years I would rather see the Bruins go after a top 6 LW. Going into last year it seemed everyone was skeptical about the D ( with good reason ) but in actuality the D was probably the strength of the team and that was without Charlie for the regular season .

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Stay away from:

Girardi
Shattenkirk
Radulov (but I dont think they're interested anyway)
Alzner
Sharp
Bonino (Would be very Bruins to sign him when we don't have a need for him)

Would look at if $ isnt stupid

Daly (Sign him if the $'s are right, fills a need and will be a solid stop gap)
Vanek (With Krejci and Pasta would be ridiculous (as long as its goood Vanek and not bad Vanek) )
Del Zotto (Lefty, solid, has some snarl, mobile, but injury red flags)
Kulikov (Reclamation project, only 26 but a flight risk and probably wants lots of $s)
Brendan Smith (although his handedness isn't a need and we have Quaider/K Miller, but if small $'s hes good depth)
stafford (Small money only although I got real pissed with him throughout the playoffs with his ********edness)
Condon (Local boy would probably play for the Bruins for nothing)
Mason (Solid starter so as a back up he'd be damn good)
Versteeg on a contract like Moore but doubt he comes that cheap.
Chad Johnson (Hes been a Bruin before and was very good, then again we thought the same of Dobby last year :laugh:)

Lets not forget, a lot of this also hinges on other moves (such as moving money out) so dont start flaming me, i know its not a matter of sign everyone :laugh:

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I know this line up is more fantasy then realistic... but would rather stick to 1-2 year deals with vets who can be place holders for prospects like Senyshyn, Frederic, Urho, Lauzon and Lindgren until they are ready. I would like to see a younger team though mixed with prospects and vets over all lines giving the kids experience and playing next to major players they can learn from. Also wouldn't mind one big deal for someone like Landy.

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
Cehlarik-Krejci-Vanek
Landeskog-JFK-Pastrnak (future #1 line)
Debrusk-Kuraly-Backes
Blidh/Accairi

Chara-McAvoy
Markov-Carlo
Krug- K Miller
O'Gara

Vanek- 1 year 3.5mill
Markov- 2 year 5.5mill per (Comes to Boston after to MTL makes a low offer)

Spooner, Heinen, Vatrano and Zboril
For
Landeskog

McQuaid for 3rd

Beleskey, Koko and 3rd to LVA

Hayes waived

Nash waived

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
With NHL free agents now allowed to speak with other clubs prior to the market’s opening bell at noon on Saturday, the Bruins have reached out to defenseman Trevor Daley and the sides have had a “positive†dialogue, according to his agent, Rick Curran.

The Bruins will have competition for an unrestricted free agent who has won back-to-back Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Curran estimated the 33-year-old Daley has spoken to eight teams in total.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...lking_with_free_agent_defenseman_trevor_daley

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Would look at if $ isnt stupid

Daly (Sign him if the $'s are right, fills a need and will be a solid stop gap)
Vanek (With Krejci and Pasta would be ridiculous (as long as its goood Vanek and not bad Vanek) )
Del Zotto (Lefty, solid, has some snarl, mobile, but injury red flags)
Kulikov (Reclamation project, only 26 but a flight risk and probably wants lots of $s)
Brendan Smith (although his handedness isn't a need and we have Quaider/K Miller, but if small $'s hes good depth)
stafford (Small money only although I got real pissed with him throughout the playoffs with his ********edness)
Condon (Local boy would probably play for the Bruins for nothing)
Mason (Solid starter so as a back up he'd be damn good)
Versteeg on a contract like Moore but doubt he comes that cheap.
Chad Johnson (Hes been a Bruin before and was very good, then again we thought the same of Dobby last year :laugh:)

Lets not forget, a lot of this also hinges on other moves (such as moving money out) so dont start flaming me, i know its not a matter of sign everyone :laugh:

I would take a closer look at signing Daly to 2-3 years, max. That would mean trading McQuaid, which I'm OK with. The only other player on your list that I would take a look at is Condon. I think he would be a solid backup, and only goalie worthy, IMO, to replace Khudobin. The dilema with this comes down to how ready Subban or McIntyre are. Are they ready for this coming season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad