What needs to be done in this off season

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
His value is high and he would likely be coveted by Buffalo.

It’s a scary thought but we are going to see how Zamula does and eventually York. If we can trade for Eichel and sign Hamilton and remove Voracek/JVR salary plus whatever else goes to Buffalo then maybe you are ok. Sanhiem Hamilton would be a fun top pair. York Myers could be good. Who knows, but I think if you unload to get Eichel if you can.
That's a lot of ifs. And even if it all plays out that way, our top pair would be two offensive defensemen which seems like a recipe for disaster.
In Carolina they have Slavin who's the real minute eating defenseman on that team and probably a big reason why Hamilton's looked so good. Sanheim is no Slavin.

Our only hope would be York, but he's still a couple years away.

Reactions: tucson83

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
That's a lot of ifs. And even if it all plays out that way, our top pair would be two offensive defensemen which seems like a recipe for disaster.
In Carolina they have Slavin who's the real minute eating defenseman on that team and probably a big reason why Hamilton's looked so good. Sanheim is no Slavin.

Our only hope would be York, but he's still a couple years away.
Would he be a lot worse than Provy there? Provy doesn’t have the night or reach to shutdown well. He’s smart and I think that comes through in a playoff series. Sanhiem unleashed could do a lot of damage. Or you go a different route than Hamilton. But I like the idea of a team that pushes the pace on their terms.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't even want to imagine our defense without Provorov. Even if you can trade him for Eichel, you still better have a replacement because otherwise our defense would be bottom 10 in the league.

I'm a Provocop guy, but I trade him for Eichel in a heartbeat. Especially if the other stuff going Buffalo's way isn't too painful to give up.

It's a lot easier to find Provorov types than Eichel types.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Sanhiem Hamilton would be a fun top pair.

That would be the softest top pair in the league. We could nickname them Kohr Bros.

We need a true shutdown top pair. Now, something like Provorov-Martinez would be hell on the opposition. That could be the anchor on a contending team. I’d explore a Manson for Sanheim trade too.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Would he be a lot worse than Provy there? Provy doesn’t have the night or reach to shutdown well. He’s smart and I think that comes through in a playoff series. Sanhiem unleashed could do a lot of damage. Or you go a different route than Hamilton. But I like the idea of a team that pushes the pace on their terms.
If we get a guy like Jones, then I can see how moving Provorov in the right deal could make sense. You need the right mix. That's why Carolina's defense has been so good. They have the right mix, not only a bunch of talented defensemen.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
That would be the softest top pair in the league. We could nickname them Kohr Bros.

We need a true shutdown top pair. Now, something like Provorov-Martinez would be hell on the opposition. That could be the anchor on a contending team. I’d explore a Manson for Sanheim trade too.

Ones too busy working the farm, the others too busy at the museum.

Reactions: Striiker and Magua

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I'm a Provocop guy, but I trade him for Eichel in a heartbeat. Especially if the other stuff going Buffalo's way isn't too painful to give up.

It's a lot easier to find Provorov types than Eichel types.
I would make that trade, as well. But I definitely wouldn't like the look of our defense without a proper replacement.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I would make that trade, as well. But I definitely wouldn't like the look of our defense without a proper replacement.

The defense has already been one of the worst in the NHL this season. Worst case is it continues to be one of the worst but we now have arguably the best center depth in the NHL. Best case if they bring in another defensemen via trade or UFA and get meaningful contributions from York/Zamula.

Reactions: TheKingPin

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The defense has already been one of the worst in the NHL this season. Worst case is it continues to be one of the worst. Best case is they also bring another defensemen, Sanheim and Myers bounce back, and York+Zamula make a splash early on.
It can always be worse. Buffalo level. This year a lot of the blame falls on the goalies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Speaking of Carolina, I have this crazy, realistic idea where we keep Provorov AND Sanheim AND give them usage maximizing their respective skill-sets. Instead of treating Ivan like Hamilton and Slavin rolled into one. How about we aim for Slavin first — which is a bar he hasn’t reached? Now, all we need is a Hamilton and Pesce. Easy peasy.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If we get a guy like Jones, then I can see how moving Provorov in the right deal could make sense. You need the right mix. That's why Carolina's defense has been so good. They have the right mix, not only a bunch of talented defensemen.

From everything I have seen on here and other resources it seems Jones would be a mistake for the large cost. I would like to see a more offensive minded D overall. To me that is a bigger threat than a stout D. You obviously want guys that can do both which we could still have.

Couts
Eichel
Frost
Hayes

and a capable and offensively minded D would be a terror to play against. Especially when you have the wingers we do and Hart. That is an identity of attack first. An identity is more important to me than just figuring out the right mix. Goal oriented decision making.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Lol attacking my grammar like a real tough guy cause you know I'm right that pair would never make it why not put ghost there too lol
Instead of following the trend, why not ice three defensmen together? Be pioneers?

JVR-Voracek
Sanheim-Hamilton-Ghost

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Instead of following the trend, why not ice three defensemen together? Be pioneers?

JVR-Voracek
Sanheim-Hamilton-Ghost

Flyers will never be pioneers. They slowly adjust to league trends 5 years later, still clinging to ideas that have passed their time.

Reactions: Striiker

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I’m going to buck the trend in this thread. I think that the club is one veteran RHD away from being a very good defensive club. The guys on the blue line are young and poorly used. Then there’s AV’s stretch pass offense where the forwards are cherry picking which doesn’t help. Change the schemes and this club could be much better.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I’m going to buck the trend in this thread. I think that the club is one veteran RHD away from being a very good defensive club. The guys on the blue line are young and poorly used. Then there’s AV’s stretch pass offense where the forwards are cherry picking which doesn’t help. Change the schemes and this club could be much better.

I do not disagree. Defense doesn't need a full overhaul. Needs an experienced and high-performing Top 4 defensemen and a system that doesn't leave them high and dry.

Reactions: renberg

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
And how many teams would hug him, amirite? WAIVERS! LMAO!

tenor.gif

is this YOU after hearing every AHL team passed on ghost too ? :thumbu:

proud of you :nod:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We might like to land Hamilton but we don't need Hamilton, just a physical, veteran smart RHD who can anchor Provorov or Sanheim.
We have puck movers in Provorov, Sanheim, York, Zamula and maybe Ghost if he isn't taken in the ED.
What we lack is the kind of D-man who can settle a team down when they're being pressured in the D-zone.

If you add the RHD and upgrade Elliott, this is a good team.
Other tweaks can depend on value.

One reason to keep AV and let him sink or swim next is to recruit the next HC - if you dump AV with 3 years left off a clusterf---k season, no coach with options would choose to come here and work under such a short leash - but if after Fletcher making a couple improvements, AV can't turn it around, the next HC will simply think he can do better.

Reactions: sregdoor

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm expecting a massive hug the next time you see me.
Make all the jokes you want, but if Provorovs next goal isn’t met with a mouth on mouth kiss from Giroux, Im calling it a closed case that Provorov is hated and Giroux is a bad leader.

You nerds can shove those charts and your Giroux jerseys straight up your poopers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad