What makes teams like Hershey and Coachella Valley so successful?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
Even though Hershey and Coachella Valley have been performing well ever since their first Calder Cup finals meeting, it makes me wonder why they've been so successful (besides coaching and their style of play) since they may or may not meet again in the finals next season.

IMO, I think some of their top line players, along with their current (& former) starting goalies, have potential to play on NHL teams (especially with Hunter Shepard, Clay Stevenson, Joey Daccord, & Chris Driedger as potential NHL backups)

On an extra note, it would be interesting to see Hershey play against NHL bottom feeders, just to see how good they really are...

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... On an extra note, it would be interesting to see Hershey play against NHL bottom feeders, just to see how good they really are...
Send that request to the EA SPORTS™ NHL 26 video game development team. That'd be your only chance to see your dream materialize.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Even though Hershey and Coachella Valley have been performing well ever since their first Calder Cup finals meeting, it makes me wonder why they've been so successful (besides coaching and their style of play) since they may or may not meet again in the finals next season.

IMO, I think some of their top line players, along with their current (& former) starting goalies, have potential to play on NHL teams (especially with Hunter Shepard, Clay Stevenson, Joey Daccord, & Chris Driedger as potential NHL backups)

On an extra note, it would be interesting to see Hershey play against NHL bottom feeders, just to see how good they really are...

What makes them successful on the ice? They're trying to win while most of the teams they play are trying to develop talent.

Washington has drafted (by my count) 28 players over the last 5 years minus the 2024 draft. As of right now, only (by my count) 6 players have played more than 5 games for Hershey. Hershey is signing players who are just shy of being NHL-level talent and are likely carried by their six registered veterans. As of this past season, they were the second oldest team in the league with an average age of over 26 years old with over 550 games of NHL experience on the roster. That puts them behind the only Chicago Wolves, who famously try to win and not develop talent (something they were perennially successful at doing until this past season).

Coachella Valley has done the same thing. They were 13th oldest in the 32 team league. Over 350 games of NHL experience despite the Seattle Kraken being in existence for only three seasons.

Look at the rosters of the teams they're playing. Are those teams trying to be competitive? Yes, but to a point. They're existing to develop talent and let the 20-23 year olds get better so they can play with the big club one day. Hershey, and to a much lesser extent Coachella Valley, aren't trying to do that. They're trying to bring home a big trophy at the end of each season. That isn't to say the fans don't want their team to win. That isn't to say the players aren't fighting tooth and nail for a chance to lift the Calder Trophy. But (for the most part) the coaches and general managers are prioritizing PP time for their 22 year old second rounder from 2021 over the 28 year old veteran who couldn't find a NHL roster spot and didn't want to go to Europe. Developing that kid is their goal over giving the vet his cookie, for better or for worse.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

TRUST prevents Hershey from switching leagues, steve....it's on their history....

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
What makes them successful on the ice? They're trying to win while most of the teams they play are trying to develop talent.

Washington has drafted (by my count) 28 players over the last 5 years minus the 2024 draft. As of right now, only (by my count) 6 players have played more than 5 games for Hershey. Hershey is signing players who are just shy of being NHL-level talent and are likely carried by their six registered veterans. As of this past season, they were the second oldest team in the league with an average age of over 26 years old with over 550 games of NHL experience on the roster. That puts them behind the only Chicago Wolves, who famously try to win and not develop talent (something they were perennially successful at doing until this past season).

Coachella Valley has done the same thing. They were 13th oldest in the 32 team league. Over 350 games of NHL experience despite the Seattle Kraken being in existence for only three seasons.

Look at the rosters of the teams they're playing. Are those teams trying to be competitive? Yes, but to a point. They're existing to develop talent and let the 20-23 year olds get better so they can play with the big club one day. Hershey, and to a much lesser extent Coachella Valley, aren't trying to do that. They're trying to bring home a big trophy at the end of each season. That isn't to say the fans don't want their team to win. That isn't to say the players aren't fighting tooth and nail for a chance to lift the Calder Trophy. But (for the most part) the coaches and general managers are prioritizing PP time for their 22 year old second rounder from 2021 over the 28 year old veteran who couldn't find a NHL roster spot and didn't want to go to Europe. Developing that kid is their goal over giving the vet his cookie, for better or for worse.
I agree with your assessment, but must make note that the Colorado Eagles have been built this way for the last 5 years, but are perennial first round losers. So there is maybe a little bit more at play. Coaching would be my first thought, but the Eagles old coach (Cronin) is now a NHL head coach, so that's kind of out there. Then I get to systems: The Eagles play the same system as the Avs, but have no Nate or Makar so the product is garbage lol. But I digress, is it possible that Hershey and CV run their systems to the strength of their players instead of their parent clubs system?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
As we well know: All icy roads lead to Portland, ME.
no, if u know the History of why Hershey, the city, as well as the franchise there between HersheyPark Arena/Giant Center.... it's a frequent misnomer for uninformed posters why the Bears exist even though it's the oldest non-NHL Franchise in pro hockey..... it's also why it's a non-starter even to the point of switching affiliations or markets.... like the Flames ownership has done the last 35-40 years bouncing to 8 different markets for its AHL franchise before settling in Calgary.... it's a trust decreed by Milton Hershey that prohibits the franchise from being transferred outside of the market... Coachella didn't exist as a market until 3 years ago so I'm not exactly sure why the Firebirds are in this discussion, anyway... since the nickname was recycled from Syracuse and Philadelphia.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018

I never knew about some AHL teams prioritizing winning over developing, since I pay more attention to the NHL, even though the AHL & ECHL are both important for development in the US.

However, even though development will still occur, especially if you play for Hershey, Coachella, Chicago, or even Colorado from @Avsrule2022 it makes me wonder what the AHL would look like if every team had a focused mixture between developing young players and winning the Calder Cup as well?

Furthermore, it would've been nice to see Coachella win it all, just because they're an expansion team, even though some people have mixed feelings about Vegas almost winning it all during their inaugural season, the opportunity to win it all during your first season is quite rare IMO, yet Vegas and Coachella make it look routine.

On an extra note, I remember someone mentioning their opinion (on Reddit) about the remaining NHL teams who haven't won a cup (yet) or haven't won the cup in awhile (they got down-voted as well for saying this about teams who haven't had playoff success in the NHL):

"Honestly most of those franchises suck and are poorly managed. I blame poor management for a lot of those failures. So no. I think most of them will never win a Cup or at least not for a very long time. Even though it now makes it easier for more teams to be competitive due to salary cap which is going to prevent a lot of dynasty Cup winning teams which used to happen in the old days."

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

I only somewhat agree about your assessment of Hershey. They do a fine job of balancing both development and winning now that Washington has a say in everything. Chris Patrick has worked closely with Bryan Helmer the past few years assembling those teams and helping the staff develop players. This year they had less prospects because they graduated multiple guys and their replacements were either not ready or couldn’t join the Bears because of the CHL/AHL age restrictions. Hershey will be flush with more prospects after this season is over. They’ve just hit a lull in which most of the top heavy prospects aren’t available to them and the ones they have either graduated or are on the cusp of graduation like Iorio and Ivan Miroshnichenko

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
The bottom line is money and you will make the most money by having a slightly better NHL team than a top tier AHL team.

On a side note, Pascal Vincent (Laval Rocket head coach) mentioned twice to journalists this week that his number 1 priority is to help the Montreal Canadiens and develops players and that winning will always come 2nd and wont be prioritize. Gave the example of putting a young center for a crucial faceoffs in 2-1 game even though it might mean losing the game.

Also said he will adjust the Rocket system to be exactly like the one the Canadiens are using, even though they dont have the same type of players.

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... On a side note, Pascal Vincent (Laval Rocket head coach) mentioned twice to journalists this week that his number 1 priority is to help the Montreal Canadiens and develops players and that winning will always come 2nd and wont be prioritize. Gave the example of putting a young center for a crucial faceoffs in 2-1 game even though it might mean losing the game.

Also said he will adjust the Rocket system to be exactly like the one the Canadiens are using, even though they dont have the same type of players.
Responses to be expected from a veteran coach in his 14th year of AHL/NHL employment. As if his latest NHL employer doesn't demand such loyalty anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad