What makes Alex DeBrincat so good?

ello

Jun 12, 2018
What exactly makes “the Cat” such a good hockey player? I’ve never been blown away by his speed or stick handling, and for a gifted young goal scorer his one-timer isn’t eye-popping. Yet he’s put up elite numbers everywhere he’s played, and with 6 goals in his first five games now it seems like he’s ready to take his game to the next level.

What exactly did scouts and fans, myself included, miss about this guy? And I guess more importantly, how can they avoid missing out on talent like this in the draft again?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
re: how can they avoid missing out on talent like this in the draft again?

draft the dud that scored
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
in his draft season, preferably by pick #39

Sometimes the best way to scout is to ignore the games but study the spreadsheet
tenor.gif

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
He is able to get his shots off incredibly quickly. He knows what to do before the puck arrives at his stick. Few other players are able to get the quality of shots he gets with so little time.

Reactions: sharkhawk

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hockey iq

Don't think he's been particularly fast and obviously not big, but finds the open spots in the Ozone and makes himself in position for a pass in the scoring area... And evidently capitalizes.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
IQ - always in the right spot
Effective plays around the ice
Knows where to put the puck

Not overly fast but his vision and understanding of the game is an asset.

Reminds me of Stone with bit more speed and less size/strenght.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Haven't seen him this year but based on last year - he just waits at the right circle for Kane to pass him the puck and then he shoots the puck into the back of the net allowing him to add a point to his statline, which in turn allows him to be perceived as "good".

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Haven't seen him this year but based on last year - he just waits at the right circle for Kane to pass him the puck and then he shoots the puck into the back of the net allowing him to add a point to his statline, which in turn allows him to be perceived as "good".
If it's that easy more players would do it. Also he and Kane have never played together much

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I could wright an whole essay about Brinksy and what makes him good
but i doubt there be lots of hfboarders who'd read that :) .

Ive analysed his game since his OHL rookie season. Shortly; DeBrincat is to hockey what Kasparov is to chess,
in a way, how he see's/think's the game, how he reads the game and how he strikes;quickly&deadly
before you even realize, what had happened.

djeck42

Jan 26, 2011
He has the awareness to find open ice and just a wicked quick shot. Last year had good numbers playing on the bottom 6 even. Tonights goal was another example; he got the pass from toews and got the wrister off quick and top corner. Im pretty pumped this season to see how much better he can do with good linemates... and hopefully coach q doesnt go all coach q here anytime soon putting him down with arty and kunitz.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The fact that the Stars passed on him to take Riley Tufte. God I was so pissed. Everyone the Stars pass on becomes good it feels like.

Passed on Barzal to take Gurianov, passed on DeBrincat to take Tufte, passed on Tolvanen to take Oettinger
Meh, every team passes up on good players. That's just the reality of the draft.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
DeBrincat has:

1. An amazing shot
2. High hockey IQ

And that's enough to be a great 30+30 type sniper in NHL. I think DeBrincat will be better than that, though.

And while we're on the topic, this is (yet) another case where simple Eliteprospects-scouting outperforms professional NHL scouts.

icekoob

4th Liner
May 16, 2010
VALPO/chicago

Not sure if joking but Cat doesn’t even play with Kane.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
re: how can they avoid missing out on talent like this in the draft again?

draft the dud that scored
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
in his draft season, preferably by pick #39

Sometimes the best way to scout is to ignore the games but study the spreadsheet
tenor.gif

Sometimes, but stats can be VERY deceiving. That season he was glued next to McDavid and as we be seen in the past, ESPECIALLY in Junior, some very bad players have put up elite numbers next to the league's best players.

Another example is that junior stats can be very misleading due to icetime/usage and often some players don't work on their game the way they should be.

Conor Garland put up a stat line of 35G-94A - 129Pts leading the league in scoring by 27pts. Despite that he was drafted in the 4th rd. Next year he puts up 128pts leading his own team in points by over 60 and the league by 20 again. All this points to one hell of a future star if looking at CHL stats.

His next season..... 14pts .... in the AHL.

Reason being is that once you actually watched him you realize that he would play the full 2mins of EVERY power play. His coach also allowed him to cheat defensively, and by that I mean he would never even cross his own blue line most nights.

This is why scouting exists. With that said, something was definitely missed with Debrincat.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
The fact that the Stars passed on him to take Riley Tufte. God I was so pissed. Everyone the Stars pass on becomes good it feels like.

Passed on Barzal to take Gurianov, passed on DeBrincat to take Tufte, passed on Tolvanen to take Oettinger

Watch Ty Smith becoming an all star while Dellandrea fizzles out into oblivion somewhere in the minors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad