What Makes a Hockey Organization Thrive in the current NHL?

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Hey everyone,

I’ve been thinking about how much the NHL and hockey as a whole have evolved over the past few years, both on and off the ice. From front-office strategies to player development, there seem to be new standards for what makes a hockey organization truly successful in 2024.

But I can't seem to pinpoint what makes successful teams successful. I mean obviously you need elite talent and to draft well, but this can't be just that. Some teams have been drafting elite talent but the results aren't showing.

In your opinion, what are the key characteristics of a top-performing hockey organization today? Are there specific approaches in scouting, player development, analytics, coaching, or team culture that you think are essential for a team to thrive in this modern era?

Let's say you were to be the GM of an expansion team, what kind of players would you target and management / staff?

If you we're to be the GM of a bottom of the barrell team, how would you proceed to make them successful again?

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I don't know man. Seriously, I just don't know. We've lost for so long now that it seems we've lost any inkling of what it takes. All I see is mediocrity throughout. Go Sharks I guess. Sigh.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Ruthless roster construction.

I think fans are irrational and will easy move on from a fan favorite.

“are you guys actually letting me go for real?”
- Marchessault in regards to Vegas management letting him go to free agency

Tampa with Stamkos and diverting the money to a 5 year younger guentzel

These are teams moving on from a conn-smythe winner and captain of the last 10 years.

Last edited:

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I don't know man. Seriously, I just don't know. We've lost for so long now that it seems we've lost any inkling of what it takes. All I see is mediocrity throughout. Go Sharks I guess. Sigh.
You have a great pool of young talented player. Just be patient man, Sharks can't suck forever.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
You need that core of winners. Being good just isnt good enough.

Draft well.

Being a desirable market sure helps. Being able to attract free agents is pretty important to fill the holes from trading your draft picks and losing your best 3rd liners once you start winning.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
You need that good mix of old school hockey experience/relationships/negotiation skills and new age analytics. And you need this embedded everywhere in the organization, from pro scouts, amateur scouts, to AHL, to coaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad