What is the team's biggest roadblock to make the playoffs next season?

What needs to improve the most or is the biggest roadblock?

• Continuous improvement of the special teams

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Improved secondary scoring

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • Defense and ability to defend a lead

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • Division

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Coaching staff

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • More success in OT/SO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 on 5 play

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 27 15.8%

• Total voters

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Hello all,

I would say this year was a success all things considered as far as the rebuild is concerned.

In your opinion, if you had to choose 1 thing out the following, what represents the biggest roadblock or what needs to improve the most in order for the Habs to make the playoffs?

a) Continuous improvement of the special teams: 27th for PP as of today & 24h for PK.

b) Improved secondary scoring (26th for Goals For, 6 players on pace for 50+ points, not much else after)

c) Defense and ability to defend a lead (record of the team in 1 goal games + 3rd in the league for Shots against per game).

d) Coaching staff (lack of a veteran presence)

e) Division (hope for some of the better teams to take a step back and for OTT/BUF to continue to swim in mediocrity

f) 5 on 5 play: lack of regulation wins (30th in the league for regulation wins)

g) More luck/success in extra time (10 wins, 16 losses)

h) other (please comment)

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It's a toss up between improved scoring and improved defensive play. I went with defence simply because the offence has a better chance of fixing itself with Dach coming back along with Slaf's breakout and the potential for Caufield to start scoring again. We have plenty of good young D but it takes time for most D to become consistent and we are going to continue to integrate rookies over the next few years so that process will still take time.

Now all that said I don't think there's any road block that should prevent us from being in the playoff race next year beyond staying healthy.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Dach and Newhook being healthy for the majority of the year with the continued development of some of the young guys should have us in a position Philly found themselves in this season.

I really don't think we're too far away from the playoffs, but it's going to depend on who's traded in/out. We won't be making it if we just keep the same group.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Health, dach needs to prove he can stay healthy, can’t lose a top6 player for any length of time.

Steps forward, slaf needs to stay at this level for the full year, caufield needs to get to being a 35g 80p fwd, Suzuki 25-30g 80p. A defenseman not named Guhle needs to take a big step forward

I think we’ll be in the 14-18 spot next year

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Secondary scoring is a must. Dach needs to stay healthy otherwise that's a bust of a trade regardless of how talented he actually is.

PK needs to improve and it did until Dvorak came back and started playing it again. That man sucks balls. He doesn't win board battles, can't chip the puck out on his backhand so just gives it the point D, doesn't block shots and barely takes passing lanes away. Players just move the puck around him so easily. I have no idea why we keep playing him there like he's actually useful.

Better defensive system that includes some kind of shot suppression. We average way too many shots against. It tires the goalies physically and mentally.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I say D will need a few years unless the natural talent is somehow overwhelming the shortcomings already so soon.

Dach, Newhook, Roy, Armia 2.0, healthy Gally, Random ufa I just made up, all will help with secondary scoring.

D, although talented and surely exciting to watch, will be young, inexperienced, play a less-than-straightforward D-zone coverage, etc. Their best D is a D-zone liability, second best is a human ragdoll one concussion away from retirement, their biggest and meanest is having his 2nd shoulder surgery, the most promising weighs 16olbs…then there’s Barron and Harris…

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Talent up front, which will help the PP, 5 on 5 scoring, relieve some pressure on D, etc.

Unless we trade for that added scoring prowess up front, we won't make the playoffs.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The young players we saw 2 seasons ago are about to enter their 3rd season. How they have progressed and whether they can take the next step is key.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Player development.
and experience. It's a young team they will evolve. Also making the playoffs, for me anyways is not the goal, winning the Stanley Cup is the goal. You have to go through the valley to get the the peak on the other side.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
If he was healthy and contributed 50 points it would have made a huge difference to this team.
His 50pts wouldn't be a net add. Anyhow, I have substantial doubt on Dach's health and longevity in the league. Nothing really points to the opposite for now.

I guess what I'm trying to say is management should look for a different option at the C2 position in case Dach's situation with injuries persists.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chili and Runner77

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Dach isn’t some huge game changer. Hes got a career high pace in the 50s. People need to stop pretending that he’s our savior.
Dach our best player in camp and first 4 periods this year. He can drive a line gives team top second line center. Suzuki line be notch better. Necessary he healthy next year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The defense.

We need to find a way to have an actual NHL worthy right side and we can't go in next season with 6 potential NHL players on the left side. Players need to be traded.

His 50pts wouldn't be a net add. Anyhow, I have substantial doubt on Dach's health and longevity in the league. Nothing really points to the opposite for now.

I guess what I'm trying to say is management should look for a different option at the C2 position in case Dach's situation with injuries persists.
Regardless of Dachs health and ability, the Habs need to add a 3C. We can't go in next season with Suzuki-Dach-Dvorak-Evans as a depth chart. It's not good enough.

Reactions: Rapala

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
The defense.

We need to find a way to have an actual NHL worthy right side and we can't go in next season with 6 potential NHL players on the left side. Players need to be traded.

Regardless of Dachs health and ability, the Habs need to add a 3C. We can't go in next season with Suzuki-Dach-Dvorak-Evans as a depth chart. It's not good enough.
Would you prioritize adding a 3C over a 2C? Curious to hear on that.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
The team doesn't have enough talent yet to get to 95 points. I see about 80-85 pts. next season. 2025-26 season, we should be there or close to there and by then, NYI, Wash. and Boston are likely to be out of the top 8 in the East.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs 4 ever

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
The way I see it, there’s 6 teams we can’t finish ahead in the conference. With continued improvement of the young Ds, healthy Dach & Newhook and an additional top 6 forward, we’re right there with wings, Islanders and pens (I think caps and flyers are not in the race next year)

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Would you prioritize adding a 3C over a 2C? Curious to hear on that
probably yeah.

It's highly unlikely that:
A) Dach gets injured again
B) Dach isn't good enough for 2C
C) Newhook gets injured
D) Newhook doesn't at least allow the 2nd line to be at a replacement + level
E) The 3C we'd get would get injured + not be good enough to man a 2C spot.

Knowing all this, I'd get a 3C, cheaper and I believe in Dach. It at least gives the Habs the position of strength of having another backup plan, if Dach fails again.

Either a 2B or 3A would be perfect for this roster.

I'd much rather they use the prime assets to get a top 4 RD.

Reactions: jaffy27 and PhysicX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad