What is the single worst decision your team ever made?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
Be it the wrong decision at the draft or a UFA signing or whatever it is. What is the one thing that was worse than anything they ever done? As a Leaf fan the Kessel trade is up there, but in the end it wasn’t that bad. Trading Rask is probably up there too. But I think the worst had to be trading away our pick that would’ve given us the chance to draft Scott Niedermayer. 🥲

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Oilers:

wcw-chris.gif

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The 2003 draft. It ended up haunting the Rangers a decade later. Imagine adding any of Brown, Richards, Parise, Kesler, Pavelski or Backes on the low end or Perry, Getzlaf, Bergeron. Or Seabrook or Weber.. we probably come away with 2 Cups in 2012-15.

I'm also told the Rangers cut Gordie Howe

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Rangers: trade a young Rick Middleton for aging Ken Hodge, supposedly because Middleton partied too much. OTOH Don Murdoch had cocaine problems that derailed his career and Middleton straightened out under Don Cherry

2nd worst…and maybe even worse. Drafting Lucien DeBlois and/or Ron Duguay instead of Mike Bossy because Bossy wouldn’t join in a team fight.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
The 2003 draft. It ended up haunting the Rangers a decade later. Imagine adding any of Brown, Richards, Parise, Kesler, Pavelski or Backes on the low end or Perry, Getzlaf, Bergeron. Or Seabrook or Weber.. we probably come away with 2 Cups in 2012-15.

Meh you guys would have screwed up their development, per usual, and you'd be here saying "imagine if the Rangers would have drafted Hugh Jessiman"

Mirka the Turka

Jesus loves you
Oct 20, 2022
Devils: Getting rid of Lou Lamoriello

Literally set the franchise back so many years. We proceeded to be a bottom dweller for the next 10 years with only 1 playoff appearance (and a first round loss at that). We lucked out by getting the first overall twice with Hischier and Hughes but the reality is that Lou continued his success with other franchises without missing the playoffs.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
It isn't the worst, but one of the ones that still sticks out to me since I've been old enough to be an adult fan was the Phaneuf trade. The fact we traded him in a time in the NHL when defensemen like him were still very effective and hadn't been rendered obsolete yet, for that package just for the sake of trading him still blows my mind. We didn't even get good depth up front from the deal. We got a solid bottom 6 centre out of the deal in Stajan and a bunch of spare parts for a top 3 defender in his prime.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
For the Kings at least recently, the Lucic trade. Not only did they overpay for a washed up player, they traded Martin Jones to Boston knowing full well him (or Rask) would get sent to San Jose.

That trade slammed the contention window shut, they gave up a 1st that could've been Barzal/Chabot/Connor, and Jones was flipped to San Jose who then beat LA in rd 1 that year.

Just a monumentally stupid trade, and that's before the benefit of hindsight.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

Seems like nothings changed.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Aside from Kyle Beach of course, I’d say the Brent Seabrook legacy contract was the worst decision post lockout for the Hawks. His nearly $7m AAV cost us a lot of valuable players. He was 31 when it kicked in so we were paying for his past accomplishments.

Great great player, amazing Blackhawk, but we didn’t get his best years and in retrospect we should’ve negotiated for a more realistic contract or parted ways.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Probably that donkey show in Tijuana... Oh your team.

People will say the '15 draft for Boston but and underrated one and what really puckers my arse is Vaakanainen over Robert Thomas in '17. You draft Carlo, Zboril, Lauzon, Mcavoy, and Lindgren in the 1st and 2nd rounds the two years prior. You need a center for the future and you got one right up for the taking who is going to a great organization in London and you go and draft a high floor low ceiling LD. Instead he goes to the team that ends up beating you in the Stanley Cup finals with him in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad