Value of: What is the plan with Sean Couturier?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Just to pour a little cold water on the idea of the Flyers trading their best players as part of a proper rebuild, they haven't even traded Laughton or Konecny who will be UFAs in 2025.

The only guys they have got rid of so far are players who fell out hard with Torts (DeAngelo and Hayes) and Provorov, who desperately needed a change of scenery.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Just to pour a little cold water on the idea of the Flyers trading their best players as part of a proper rebuild, they haven't even traded Laughton or Konecny who will be UFAs in 2025.

The only guys they have got rid of so far are players who fell out hard with Torts (DeAngelo and Hayes) and Provorov, who desperately needed a change of scenery.
Yeah, which seems a pretty poor strategy, but maybe Briere is playing 4D chess and gets max value now for those guys

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
If he's healthy, playing well and the Flyers are willing to retain 20-25%, they'll get a huge return for him. And I think they should go for it.

I can probably see a good fit in Carolina for example.
They have a ton of good prospects and their window is now.
Center depth could be a little better since KK and Drury are still very green.

They're not retaining anything on him for 7 years

No team would do that, whereas I think a team *would* trade for Couturier hoping to get 5 very good years out of him (which is very possible)

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Byram for Couturier if both stay healthy?

Aves need a second line C with term and cost control. Byram should fit Philly timeline better.

Both players have health question marks. Couturier is much better and more proven but Byram still has a bit of upside and is young.

Aves do have their next two first rounders to balance things out.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Couts has looked very good for someone who hasn't played in over a year. Glad to have him back. Also think he's an important player for the upcoming C's in the prospect pool
Nifty penalty shot goal from him if he can pull a season and show he's still that guy then he is a very valuable piece whether they would keep him for mentorship or trade him is the question.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Byram for Couturier if both stay healthy?

Aves need a second line C with term and cost control. Byram should fit Philly timeline better.

Both players have health question marks. Couturier is much better and more proven but Byram still has a bit of upside and is young.

Aves do have their next two first rounders to balance things out.
That seems kinda bad for Colorado before you even get into 1st round picks.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
I think it's safe to say that Sean Couturier has significant value now IMO, I didn't expect him to bounce back this quickly but 16 points in 22 games with 19:28 of ice time per game is quite significant considering the injury he came back from, and it seem like he will only be getting better as the season progresses. Although the likelihood of him being traded seems to be quite low ATM but you wonder if Philly is wanting to do a full scale rebuild at this point or are willing to roll the dice and retool on the fly.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I think it's safe to say that Sean Couturier has significant value now IMO, I didn't expect him to bounce back this quickly but 16 points in 22 games with 19:28 of ice time per game is quite significant considering the injury he came back from, and it seem like he will only be getting better as the season progresses. Although the likelihood of him being traded seems to be quite low ATM but you wonder if Philly is wanting to do a full scale rebuild at this point or are willing to roll the dice and retool on the fly.
Always did for those of us that know what he's capable of.

And who knows what management is thinking. Team is so directionless, again.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
7 years retention on a player who actually has a great start?
Just to play Devil's advocate - the Flyers knew that Couts, even before the injury issues, likely wasn't going to be earning that contract the last 2-3 years (at a minimum). If I'm a GM (and I'm obviously not), I'm not moving fair value for a guy who is likely to be an anchor for a significant portion of the contract. And I don't expect PHI to tie up a retention spot for 7 years, so it's very likely that Couts in in PHI for the foreseeable future.

The only way he would get traded IMO is if there was a GM on a hot-seat who desperately needed to try and push his team over the top. It's either make this deal or get fired.

And I hope that Cout stay healthy and plays great. Just don't think that he can get traded in normal circumstances right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad