Value of: What is the plan with Sean Couturier?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Sean Couturier who is 30 years old will be making 7.75M for 7 more years, was injured for a significant portion and hasn't played since 2021-2022 season until this preseason, He will be 30 on a team that is clearly in a rebuild stage. Again last time he played was 2021-2022 season where he had 17 points in 29 games. Is the plan just to keep him and see if he can bounce back or will they see if he can bounce back and trade him? So the question is will they trade him and what would his value be?

Last edited:

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Sean Couturier who is 30 years old will be making 7.75M for 7 more years, will be out for the entire regular season and if the flyers somehow make the playoffs he will probably miss the entirety of that too. The question is what are the flyers planning on doing with Sean Couturier once he comes back next season? He will be 31 on a team that is clearly in a rebuild stage. Last time he played was 2021-2022 season where he had 17 points in 29 games. Is the plan just to keep him and see if he can bounce back or will they see if he can bounce back and trade him? So the question is will they trade him and what would be his value if he were to be traded after multiple back surgeries and no games played since the 2021-2022 season?
What are you even talking about?

Sean Couturier has played all preseason and is not injured at the moment.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
what are you talking about?

he's missed the last two regular seasons but was cleared last March to play. they held off so he could get a whole offseason and camp worth of training and he has played in multiple preseason games and is, supposedly, good to go for this season.

now, as for long-term plan? who knows. all depends on if he can stay healthy and play remotely close to how he did prior. if he can, there's likely a (limited) trade market and they'd consider a deal. if not, well, throw him on the pile with Ryan Ellis, I guess.

for what it's worth, he seems to still process the game the same way, but is less mobile. he was never particularly quick, but if the players had no numbers and I wask asking you to point out which of them had multiple back surgeries, you'd probably guess correctly (or point out Nic Deslauriers). Couturier's game has always been about reading plays and making good decisions, and that hasn't gone away, so he's still fairly effective--but there's not much straightaway speed left to speak of though.

Last edited:

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
what are you talking about?

he's missed the last two regular seasons but was cleared last March to play. they held off so he could get a whole offseason and camp worth of training and he has played in multiple preseason games and is, supposedly, good to go for this season.

now, as for long-term plan? who knows. all depends on if he can stay healthy and play remotely close to how he did prior. if he can, there's likely a (limited) trade market and they'd consider a deal. if not, well, throw him on the pile with Ryan Ellis, I guess.

for what it's worth, he seems to still process the game the same way, but is less mobile. he was never particularly quick, but if the players had no numbers and I wask asking you to point out which of them had multiple back surgeries, you'd probably guess correctly (or point out Nic Deslauriers). Couturier's game has always been about reading plays and making good decisions, and that hasn't gone away, so he's still fairly effective--but there's not much straightaway speed left to speak of though.
My apologies I just woke up but I fixed my mistake, although do you think he will be able to bounce back to his original form cause I'd be curious if a team would be willing to a look at a potential trade at a lower cost and obvious higher risk than normal.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
My apologies I just woke up but I fixed my mistake, although do you think he will be able to bounce back to his original form cause I'd be curious if a team would be willing to a look at a potential trade at a lower cost and obvious higher risk than normal.

I think if healthy he can still be an effective player, but not as effective as before given the diminished mobility.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
if there is one player who doesnt deserve this kind of thread, its Couturier. No value for any team. Signed a big contract then got major surgery. One more bad blow to Philly after Ellis, Patrick. Best case scenario is he plays 3rd line level or if he retires and gets off the books.

Reactions: abo9

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Sean Couturier will continue to be an awesome defensive center on a bad team to help the team not be as bad as they should. With Tortorella, Atkinson now healthy, and Couturier, the Flyers will surpise teams, flirt with a playoff spot for half of the season before blowing it in the end, finishing 10th -12th worst in the NHL. A real rebuild requires continually finishing in the bottom 5.

You have to understand, this is how the Flyers do rebuild - not really be bad enough to get anyone to actually make the team superior. They can't trade Couturier because of his contract, and he is good enough to keep the team from being really really bad; but being really really bad is what they need to do. But you know my Flyers! They use the word "rebuild" but for them, it just means we have an excuse to not make the playoffs without really doing anything to help us build for a Stanley Cup.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he has a full nmc until the last year of his contract no?

And if we assume that he agrees to a trade, it would take a very successful season from him to hold any type of positive value imo.

7 years left, significant injury history, high ish aav.... doesnt bode well but we'll see.

Also, its not like the flyers have too many talented centers, he's useful to them

Reactions: HBK27

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Plan is for him to have a healthy season, revisit next offseason if he re-establishes his value and is interested in a trade (NMC).

Until that happens he is unmovable even without the NMC.

Reactions: Flukeshot

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The contract makes him too tough to move, but even if they could trade him I think they should keep him as you gotta have some form of leadership to guide through the rebuild. Sometimes having a guy like that becomes a rallying point for the young guys once they become competitive again.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Who would give anything of value for him at this point?
A lot of teams…..a former Selke trophy finalist. He’s still ultra defensively sound. He might not be worth a 1st and a prospect but I’d bet that there’s teams who would be interested in him including Colorado…

Reactions: Coffees

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Really sucks that his career has been so devastated by injuries. People have short memories. Not that long ago he was right up there with Barkov and Kopitar as just a truly elite defensively #1 center. He was a low key superstar and one of the best centers in the game.

There’s almost zero chance he is ever that guy again but if he’s even 75% of that, it’s gonna make the Flyers so much better this season. I don’t think he has much value given his risk and contract and he’s not getting any younger. But it would be great to see him healthy and bringing at least some of what he used to.

This is a three year run between 2017-2020:

IMG-2684.jpg

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
it really is a testament to the Flyers' ineptitude that they basically botched his rehab and recovery time from the first back surgery and tried to get him back out there for last season before ultimately determining he needed another. add that to the misdiagnosis of Atkinson/subsequent surgery, failure to recognize Ellis's career-ending issues, and a whole bunch of other shit...just a butcher shop.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
A lot of teams…..a former Selke trophy finalist. He’s still ultra defensively sound. He might not be worth a 1st and a prospect but I’d bet that there’s teams who would be interested in him including Colorado…
Who can afford him, and have a need?

I seriously doubt many teams would be interested with his contract.

If it was a short term deal that would obviously not be the case.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Sean Couturier will continue to be an awesome defensive center on a bad team to help the team not be as bad as they should. With Tortorella, Atkinson now healthy, and Couturier, the Flyers will surpise teams, flirt with a playoff spot for half of the season before blowing it in the end, finishing 10th -12th worst in the NHL. A real rebuild requires continually finishing in the bottom 5.

You have to understand, this is how the Flyers do rebuild - not really be bad enough to get anyone to actually make the team superior. They can't trade Couturier because of his contract, and he is good enough to keep the team from being really really bad; but being really really bad is what they need to do. But you know my Flyers! They use the word "rebuild" but for them, it just means we have an excuse to not make the playoffs without really doing anything to help us build for a Stanley Cup.

Isn’t that true of most teams though? They keep getting incrementally worse until unmovable contracts force their hand and they bottom out?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Think couts will surprise a lot of doubters. I see a 50 pt floor lots of ice time first line first pp first pk lots of face offs
I don’t think people doubt or don’t want him to be back to himself. But even a 50-60 point, elite defensively season isn’t going to add much to his trade value at age 30 with 7 years left and huge injury concerns. The contract is devastating to his value on the market, not to his play.

Reactions: pth2

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Plan is for him to have a healthy season, revisit next offseason if he re-establishes his value and is interested in a trade (NMC).

Until that happens he is unmovable even without the NMC.
This, and I’d add that hoping the cap going up helps move him

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Thanks. I was pretty sure but I didn’t want to throw it down if I wasn’t positive….I still think that he has a few good years left in him. Listen as far as former Selke winners go, he might not be a Rick Meagher….but he still can PK, block shots, is efficient in the face off dot and chips in offensively….I think Philly having both him and Atkinson healthy are going to surprise…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad