What is the best site for Fantasy Hockey?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
For the last 3 seasons, I've used Yahoo as my fantasy hockey site for single season, points only leagues. I'm interested in starting a keeper league with some of my friends and I was wondering if the esteemed members of HF have any advice on which sites are good.

I'm mainly looking for a site that can handle expansion and dissolution of teams (since my friends can be pretty flaky) and selecting players in the entry draft, and I would be looking to keep this league going for a long time.

I do like Yahoo, but I'm sure that there must be something better.

If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
we use office pools, always drafted live so not sure about that feature but i like the format, maybe worth checking into

Axeman33

Dec 9, 2011
If you are planning on incorporating a minors system in your keeper league, then Fantrax is the best way to go. And you can draft through them as well, although I don't find the draft nearly as clean as Yahoo.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I've been using fantrax since 2oo9

they have saved me so much time by having pretty much every prospect in their database & draft pick trading keeps track of everyones picks .

back in the day I had to maintain a seperate webpage to keep track of everyones farm teams and draft picks.

items such as draft pick trading , sal cap,minors limits require you to use the ''premium'' service though @ 79.99

however , if your league isnt too complex you may get away with using their free service

ChrisWinsor

Oct 21, 2010
I started my keeper this year with ESPN, but am switching over to Yahoo. I've used both a lot, and officepools as well.

Big factors for me are free (my poolies aren't hardcore) and App (makes things easier on everyone)

Yahoo worked well enough from my experience.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I started playing fantasy hockey in 2005-06 (Cheechoo's 56 goal season... got him late that year). I used Yahoo exclusively until this year, when I'm having a few leagues on Fantrax.

Fantrax is full of ads on the sides, but their app is a lot better than Yahoo's, their player base is huge, there are more categories, you can have up to 24 teams for a free league, minor leagues are built in to the team pages...

Hindstriker

Jan 5, 2011
First time Fantrax- Long time ESPN H2H Categories

Our league has used ESPN for a very long time and as a commissioner I got sick and tired of tracking every draft pick or keeper traded manually.

We are using Fantrax this year for the first time and although the content has more categories, keeper options etc... my poolies are very pissed off. They hate it, mainly because the interface is so outdated. Plus the function of picking up a player and comparing him with another player is so cumbersome.

Our league is pretty specific though. We use 20 Categories that encompass everything from Hat Tricks to Face Off %. So fantrax has filled our needs with that and the contracts feature has helped us with our keeper format

We use a progressive keeper league system where if you draft a player say in the 10th round in 2015 and you would like to keep that player in 2016 they would be an 8th round draft pick. If they are dropped their keeper value instantly is 0. So I like the fact that the system can track all of that for you.

I would like to see NBC or Rotowire carry a Fantasy Hockey website that could really set the bar and be Hockey Specific. :handclap:

Yahoo, I have tried in the past but, they don't allow for H2H most categories is a win, they have only had every category is a win unless they changed that. Anyone Know?

Fantrax is supposed to be updating everything so the final verdict will be after that but, I believe we will move over to CBS next year.

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
Sounds like Fantrax is worth looking into, I've never used it.

I don't care for Yahoo at all. Seems very amateur in its setup. We moved from Yahoo to ESPN 7 years ago and never looked back. ESPN is a bit slow to add players at times, but isn't silly with its overdone player position eligibility. Aesthetically, ESPN is the nicest.

If you don't want ads on any site you use, just install uBlock Origin. Problem solved. Available for Firefox or Chrome.

jrmysell

Feb 7, 2015
St. Kitts
I started using Fantrax this year and I like it so much better than Yahoo or ESPN. And also, you can do minors without having to pay for premium. I just keep track of when picks are traded and can adjust them before the draft.

johnnyliner

Jun 4, 2012
I used ESPN and Yahoo in the past. Since I started on Fantrax, I have no thoughts of returning back in time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad