Speculation: What is Swayman's Trade Value?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
What teams have the cap to take on Swayman's contract of around 8 million a year?
Utah.

Just over under 10 million in cap space to play with and none of their guys need to be re-signed for the next couple years. By time say, a Logan Cooley needs his big boy contract they have a ton coming off the books as well.

They arguably need a goalie as well, probably the only real piece they need to feel like they can look towards competing.

• Wow
Reactions: cheesymc

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Utah.

Just over under 10 million in cap space to play with and none of their guys need to be re-signed for the next couple years. By time say, a Logan Cooley needs his big boy contract they have a ton coming off the books as well.

They arguably need a goalie as well, probably the only real piece they need to feel like they can look towards competing.
Utah are more than fine with Ingram and Vedjmelka. It wouldn't be worth the assets to acquire Swayman - Which is not THAT much of an upgrade over Ingram

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
It wouldn't be worth the assets to acquire Swayman - Which is not THAT much of an upgrade over Ingram
Good grief. :thumbd:

giphy.gif

Reactions: Macheteops

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I'm with you. Just look at Askarov. The guy is the most hyped goalie prospect in years. But he had only a few teams bidding, and landed just a conditional 1st rounder.

Swayman is worth more, no question. I'm not comparing value. Swayman is a proven star starter. But the Askarov situation does show the market. Not many teams are willing to dump a ton of assets for the goaltending position. That would include the cap commitment.
Is he though? He played in a platoon with a Vézina winner. He’s never started more than 44 games. He could be Corey Schneider or he could be Jonathan Bernier. Goaltending is a crapshoot.

Reactions: FMichael

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
The Bruins will never trade Swayman under duress. Sweeney is too smart for that, and here he has the leverage.

Korpisalo is a completely adequate starting goaltender. The Bruins defense and team structure have a history of making almost any goalie look good. I think there are good odds Korpisalo can maintain a save percentage above .910 where Swayman was at .916. Only if Korpisalo gets hurt does leverage revert to Swayman.

If necessary, Sweeney could force Swayman to sign a 2 year contract with no trade restrictions for an AAV as low as $5 million. Swayman's only alternative is to sit out of hockey for two years, or play in Europe for $500k a season max. He would of course sign in the NHL for $5m and just wait for UFA in two years.

Sweeney could then trade Swayman and his $5m contract at the draft next year to any team offering the best return.

There is literally no reason to trade Swayman now.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Generally, I don't like being in the market for acquiring guys I also have to pay a f*** ton of money to after I pay a bunch of assets for.
Indeed - unless it’s a much needed upgrade and you have the player depth to absorb what you have to send the other way.

I'd imagine any team interested in him is likely going to want to move out at least 3-5 mil to the Bruins in any deal. Basically a mid to late 1st + a roster player.
Anaheim and Gibson?

Hazy Little Thing

Jan 19, 2022
The Bruins will never trade Swayman under duress. Sweeney is too smart for that, and here he has the leverage.

Korpisalo is a completely adequate starting goaltender. The Bruins defense and team structure have a history of making almost any goalie look good. I think there are good odds Korpisalo can maintain a save percentage above .910 where Swayman was at .916. Only if Korpisalo gets hurt does leverage revert to Swayman.

If necessary, Sweeney could force Swayman to sign a 2 year contract with no trade restrictions for an AAV as low as $5 million. Swayman's only alternative is to sit out of hockey for two years, or play in Europe for $500k a season max. He would of course sign in the NHL for $5m and just wait for UFA in two years.

Sweeney could then trade Swayman and his $5m contract at the draft next year to any team offering the best return.

There is literally no reason to trade Swayman now.
Why contradict yourself so much? Sweeney could force Swayman to do something and then the next sentence, Swayman has options. Words have meanings. Both Swayman and Sweeney have various forms of leverage in this situation.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Utah.

Closer to $18 million once you put Weber on LTIR.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Why contradict yourself so much? Sweeney could force Swayman to do something and then the next sentence, Swayman has options. Words have meanings. Both Swayman and Sweeney have various forms of leverage in this situation.

You are right, Swayman literally does have options. If presented with a take it or leave it offer of 2 years, $5m AAV no trade restriction offer, Swayman could do one of the following:

1. Accept the offer, make $10 million total, play as a full time starter in the NHL the next two years, wind up a UFA at 27.
2. Play hockey in Western Europe for about $500,000 per year for the next two years. Come back to the NHL has a UFA, but not having played NHL hockey for two years.
3. Sit out hockey for two years, make no money, do nothing to enhance or prove your value.

It would be complete self-destruction to choose any option other than #1. That bluff is easy to call.

Reactions: BostonBruins11

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
If the relationship is unfixable, a team that might be a good match could be Utah. The owner might be willing to make a big trade in his first year in Utah.

How about:

1-Maccelli, underrated skilled playmaker
2 Lamoureaux or Beaudoin, both are Boston type of prospects
3 Vejmelka

Or how about Oilers? Swayman along with a defenseman like Peeke for Bouchard and Skinner?

Maybe Red Wings offer Husso and prospect like Nate Danielsson+?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
If the relationship is unfixable, a team that might be a good match could be Utah. The owner might be willing to make a big trade in his first year in Utah.

How about:

3 Vejmelka

Or how about Oilers? Swayman along with a defenseman like Peeke for Bouchard and Skinner?

That seems like a pretty steep price for the Oilers. Goalies never bring that type of value back and i'm not sure the Oilers would be willing to part with Bouchard despite his high contract ask.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
That seems like a pretty steep price for the Oilers. Goalies never bring that type of value back and i'm not sure the Oilers would be willing to part with Bouchard despite his high contract ask.
Bouchards contract ask is crazy for someone that isn’t dominant defensively. Everyone is expected to take a team friendly contract on the Bruins. I think he would accept around 7-7.25 a year with the Bruins. Maybe Bruins can add with some picks or prospects, but it could solve a problem for both teams. I think Swayman would take a similar cap hit with the Oilers around 7.5 million. Would be fun to see them play against one another in the finals.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
To Utah for a top 5 protected 2025 1st, a conditional 2026 2nd, Michael Hrabal (36th 2023), and Connor Ingram.

That would be similar value to an offer sheet (two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd). Utah would be able to protect their pick, which they cannot do in an offer sheet.

Boston would get back a cost controlled NHL goalie, and they would get back a goalie prospect who is 2 years further along in his development than one they would select with a 2025 draft pick.

It's not a deal Boston should make, but if it gets to the point where they absolutely are done with Swayman, that's the kind of package I could see. A protected 1st, a 1st round tier prospect, a 2nd, and maybe an NHL goalie.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013

How about:

3 Vejmelka

No thanks from the Oilers

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012

How about:

3 Vejmelka

Don't see either being moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad