Speculation: What is Swayman's Trade Value?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
We have a thread on the contract negotiations, what's been offered, what's fair, the comps, etc.

This thread is about his trade value; who would be interested and what would they offer?

In terms of needs, I'd think the Bruins could use a RW, G and/or C but they do currently have young players with high hopes/ceilings vying for those spots in camp (Lysell, Bussi and Poitras). Draft picks are also good.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I wonder if Chicago would have interest. They seem to be building Bruins West with Taylor Hall, Tyler Bertuzzi, Nick Foligno, Craig Smith, Pat Maroon...

In terms of a return, they have two 1sts and two 2nds this year, as well as some recently drafted center prospects, all of which should be of interest to Boston.

Edit...

Mrazek + TOR 25 1st + Comesso
That's good value. The Bruins would have a logjam in net with Mrazek, Korpisalo, Bussi and Comesso but I like the thinking and the value.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I might he an the minority here but I don't think a goalie looking for 10 mil+ is going to hold the value people think it would

I'm with you. Just look at Askarov. The guy is the most hyped goalie prospect in years. But he had only a few teams bidding, and landed just a conditional 1st rounder.

Swayman is worth more, no question. I'm not comparing value. Swayman is a proven star starter. But the Askarov situation does show the market. Not many teams are willing to dump a ton of assets for the goaltending position. That would include the cap commitment.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
The goalie market is kind of its own separate thing. There’s very few jobs available and it fluctuates how many team are looking for a goalie at any given time.

Yeah, we saw goalies this summer traded for first round picks and then the Bruins had to take Korpisalo in order to get a 1st for Ullmark.

The one good thing working in Boston's favor (in a trade) is that they can take on money. They've got over $9m in cap space.

Reactions: banks

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
We'll offer you Gibson, take it or leave it.

Jokes aside, I am still fairly certain Gibson could become a bonafide number 1 goalie again in a different market and with an actually capable defense in front of him.

Maybe something around Gibson @30% retained plus a B-level prospect like Sidorov could be considered fair value.

Boston gets a proven goalie with a somewhat high probability of bouncing back and rejuvenating his career as well as a prospect that pots goals en masse in juniors but is completely unproven amongst men.

Anaheim gets a great goalie, who can easily mentor Dostal to take over in a few years and some redemption for the lopsided mess that was the Lindholm deal.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I wonder if Chicago would have interest. They seem to be building Bruins West with Taylor Hall, Tyler Bertuzzi, Nick Foligno, Craig Smith, Pat Maroon...

In terms of a return, they have two 1sts and two 2nds this year, as well as some recently drafted center prospects, all of which should be of interest to Boston.
At 25, Chicago might believe the timelines for his prime and the rest of their rebuild don't line up. They aren't trying to win today. Speaking of rebuild, I highly doubt they have any interest in trading from their core of good to great futures either.

Swayman would elicit more interest from a team trying to win today, I think, probably offering current NHL players. Figure the core of an offer is another team's starter, since the Bruins need one today, plus quality sweeteners. Forwards were mentioned as a Bruins team need.

Goalie values are weird, though. Hard to handicap it.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'm with you. Just look at Askarov. The guy is the most hyped goalie prospect in years. But he had only a few teams bidding, and landed just a conditional 1st rounder.

Swayman is worth more, no question. I'm not comparing value. Swayman is a proven star starter. But the Askarov situation does show the market. Not many teams are willing to dump a ton of assets for the goaltending position. That would include the cap commitment.
The only condition on the first rounder is whether it will be Vegas or San Jose's. There is no condition in which they don't get the 1st. Plus they got Edstrom, who was a 1st round pick himself. So not quite as bad as you make it out to be.

The real question as far as trade value is who has the cap space to sign him once they trade for him

Reactions: PlayMakers

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
We'll offer you Gibson, take it or leave it.

Jokes aside, I am still fairly certain Gibson could become a bonafide number 1 goalie again in a different market and with an actually capable defense in front of him.

Maybe something around Gibson @30% retained plus a B-level prospect like Sidorov could be considered fair value.

Boston gets a proven goalie with a somewhat high probability of bouncing back and rejuvenating his career as well as a prospect that pots goals en masse in juniors but is completely unproven amongst men.

Anaheim gets a great goalie, who can easily mentor Dostal to take over in a few years and some redemption for the lopsided mess that was the Lindholm deal.
Would you guys even need Swayman? I watched quite a few ducks games last year and I really liked Dostal a lot.

We'll see how he does this year but he's solid

Reactions: hn777

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014

The condition is pretty light. They get a 2025 pick that is either SJ or VGK outright. SJ will be bottom 5, and VGK is expected to make the playoffs. If VGK pick is top 10, SJ has the option to give them their own pick instead, which I don't see being outside the top 10, so NSH would be getting a very good pick if the condition were to come into play. NSH also got Edstrom a recent 1st round pick. They got a very good return actually.

Reactions: PredsV82

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The goalie market is kind of its own separate thing. There’s very few jobs available and it fluctuates how many team are looking for a goalie at any given time.

This... especially when you're talking about a guy that is currently a #1 -- not a project.

Ultimately, cooler heads will probably prevail at some point here... but if they are thinking of trading him, it wouldn't be for "value" -- it would have to be a very specific "right" package to do so.... because the B's aren't rebuilding... you'd have to "center the deal around a guy that's either a #1 already, or at the very least, a 1A.

Maybe John Gibson + something else from Anaheim.

Maybe Freddy Andersen + something else from Carolina.

Maybe Georgiev + something else from Colorado.

Kuepmer + something else from LA.

Jarry + Something lese from Pittsburgh

Reactions: RI.B FAN

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
We have a thread on the contract negotiations, what's been offered, what's fair, the comps, etc.

This thread is about his trade value; who would be interested and what would they offer?

In terms of needs, I'd think the Bruins could use a RW, G and/or C but they do currently have young players with high hopes/ceilings vying for those spots in camp (Lysell, Bussi and Poitras). Draft picks are also good.
I preface this by saying I would not sign a goalie to $10M given the system he plays in.

Its a system vs goalie debate
I cant commit $10M on a goalie I dony know hoe hr is outside of boston system

If they were going to trade him I think the return would be

1.nhl ready goalie with team control
2. Higher salary player(s) coming back to balance out cap
3. Pick/ prospect based on what is in 1 and 2.

This deal could be expanded where boston includes another player

Reactions: PlayMakers

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'd love the Flyers to get involved if there is a trade to be made here, but we're right up against the cap as is, so we'd have to send out a ton of salary in order to get Swayman under contract. Flip side for Boston is that means we'd be building an offer with immediate on-ice value to maximize this year and help transition into the post-Marchand era, if that's of interest.

I'd offer something like Joel Farabee, Scott Laughton, Samuel Ersson, and the lesser of Colorado and Edmonton's #1s this year as a base. That's about $9.5M out the door for us, which means we'd be within range of meeting Swayman's demands, while Boston should be able to come in under the cap with the space they'd have open and the couple players they'd be sending down to make space for what we're offering.

Of course, this may be the wrong direction for Boston if they do end up trading Swayman, which is obviously no guarantee, but I'd like to see the Flyers at least try to get in on this.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Given how negotiations have gone, he's not going to fetch much in a trade. Goalies generally don't and given his situation, even less.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If he's looking for the kind of money that makes boston trade him, less than Cory Schneider got

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad