What is "Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey"?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
n - Term used when the Pens didn't play well. "We didn't play Pittsburgh Penguins hockey tonight."

also refer to "our game"

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You know what I HATE the most about "our game"? The fact that Steiggy thinks he's on the coaching staff and uses the Pen's "buzz words" all the time. "You can really see the Penguins going north with it there. The Malkin line is doing a little too much eat west passing, we really want him to go north with it." It drives me ****ing bonkers.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You know what I HATE the most about "our game"? The fact that Steiggy thinks he's on the coaching staff and uses the Pen's "buzz words" all the time. "You can really see the Penguins going north with it there. The Malkin line is doing a little too much eat west passing, we really want him to go north with it." It drives me ****ing bonkers.

There's nothing about Stegerwald that a mute button (or simulcasting Mike Lange or, if out of market, watching the other feed) can't resolve. :D

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
There's nothing about Stegerwald that a mute button (or simulcasting Mike Lange or, if out of market, watching the other feed) can't resolve. :D

You're right. I really need to start watching the other team's feed.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
"Our Game" is a myth created by Dan Bylsma designed to absolve him of the task of having to modify his system mid-season or mid-playoff (both risky propositions for any coach), and to reinforce his deeply held core belief of grinding out wins.

I think it should all be renamed "Dump and Grind" and then he can write a rap about it like the Bears did in 85.

"We see nothin' wrong with comin' from behind, cuz we're just here to dump and GRIIIND!"

Jim-McMahon-Super-Bowl-Shuffle.jpg

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

I like how he talks about the center drive like the Penguins invented it. More to the point, every time a player goes to the net they show 3 replays and talk about what a great job he did. I mean christ I'd hope guys are going to the net when someone's ready to get a shot off. It's really just par for the course and should be expected, but Steigy and Errey act like it's some patented wrinkle in Bylsma's system come to fruition every time a Penguin is near the crease when a goal is scored.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I like how he talks about the center drive like the Penguins invented it. More to the point, every time a player goes to the net they show 3 replays and talk about what a great job he did. I mean christ I'd hope guys are going to the net when someone's ready to get a shot off, it's really just par for the course and should be expected.

Yeah when Tangradi drove the net on the Neal goal, they went nuts. Then Jay raved about it as well. The dude skated to the net. Awesome.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Steigerwald and Errey were both dog crap yesterday and further proof their "unintentionally funny" stuff is not nearly enough to warrant them having the job they do. Either too many Pittsburghers have a low standard for "funny", or they over-value "doofus comments".

I agree about Steigerwald's pathetic attempts at hockey analysis using Bylsma's lingo; does it way too often. He's ****in clueless. The only thing I give him credit for is he does do a good job of being a "player almanac" bringing up random and sometimes interesting facts about players and coaches from their past. But when it comes to calling the game, he sucks.

And did I actually hear correctly yesterday when I thought Errey said,

"Ben Lovejoy... Loves to Joyn the rush."?? Are you ****ing kidding me? :facepalm:

Are we back in the 70s?

tmb_5530_480.jpg

I seriously don't get it, guys. Dwight Shrute might make an unintentionally funny broadcaster but Errey is not that. Maybe 1 comment in 100 (literally if you counted them). It's time to get these jags off the air with a fan petition or something online. They blow.

Now if you'll all excuse me, I have failed to contribute appropriately to the US GDP this morning... so I'll be getting back to my game now.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
"Our Game" is a myth created by Dan Bylsma designed to absolve him of the task of having to modify his system mid-season or mid-playoff (both risky propositions for any coach), and to reinforce his deeply held core belief of grinding out wins.

I think it should all be renamed "Dump and Grind" and then he can write a rap about it like the Bears did in 85.

"We see nothin' wrong with comin' from behind, cuz we're just here to dump and GRIIIND!"

Jim-McMahon-Super-Bowl-Shuffle.jpg

We should use that for Bryzgalov.:laugh:

Duh Bears...

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Yeah when Tangradi drove the net on the Neal goal, they went nuts. Then Jay raved about it as well. The dude skated to the net. Awesome.

or how about Potash asking Neal about it during the intermission: "I want to talk about you scoring a goal, but i don't want to talk about YOU actually scoring the goal, I want to talk about Tangradi driving to the net." when Neal started talking about "the Big Dog" with a smirk on his face... :laugh:

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I like Potash's after commercial segments before the puck drops. I honestly can't believe he gets paid for those. Yesterday they came back from commercial and he talked about Malkin n Gonchar being friends. He could've talked about anything he wanted that was halfway interesting about either team or any player involved in the game and he chose to talk about something we've heard about 200 times. I'm pretty sure he asked Malkin about it in the pregame interview as well!

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Dan Potash.... the coach's favorite TV Grinder. There's no way he'll ever be benched.
Adams, Kunitz, Potash... they're all the same. Meritocracy is dead.

0.jpg

DA COACH HAS ABSA-LOOT POWER OVER BY DER!

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Showing up for the first period then throwing in the towel during the second period and then attempting to play catch-up in the third. :)

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
What is Pittsburgh Penguins hockey?

They seem so middle of the pack in so many ways. They're not overly tough, not overly defensive, not overly offensive, their transition is pretty simple, they're not a big team... I'm not sure anymore.

Sure its easy to pick at them now but even going back to this time last year they seemed so blah and stale. They win sloppy and its not the offensive/ fun hockey. Its the messy garbage that loses when it counts and masks problems.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I thought Bylsma started calling it Pittsburgh Penguins ice hockey. Maybe he's changed it back already.

They haven't really been middle of the pack. They led the league in goals last year, were top 5 or so in D the year before and have been ranked very high on the PK for the past few years. I'd say their current game is to coast through the regular season on talent alone and then get exposed in the playoffs.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
or how about Potash asking Neal about it during the intermission: "I want to talk about you scoring a goal, but i don't want to talk about YOU actually scoring the goal, I want to talk about Tangradi driving to the net." when Neal started talking about "the Big Dog" with a smirk on his face... :laugh:

haha yeah that was awesome.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
You chip the puck in. You send Kunitz or Cooke in to ****ing obliterate whoever has to go retrieve it. This will pay off later when they start to become hesitant to retrieve. You send in a guy like Dupuis or Kennedy who can scrounge up pucks along the boards, a guy like Neal or Staal who can body people along the boards. You have a guy like Letang pinching in occasionally to force the puck deep again. You have Crosby or Malkin out there using their hockey sense to see where it'll come loose and take possession. You have movement throughout the offensive zone. You exhaust them with long board play in their own end. They have 6 defensemen to your 12 forwards. Grind those *****es down.

When the puck is in your end, pressure the puck carrier. Do not let them do as they please, direct them to the corners using proper gap control. As soon as the play starts to break and a scramble ensues, take the body, not the puck. Body your man away from wherever the trouble is. Do not stand around looking for the puck. Anticipate, do not react.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know this isn't the Bibs/Staggy thread but I had a laugh last night when Kennedy took a terrible shot on goal last night from a near negative angle and Bibs practically gushed something very close to: "See?!? Kennedy isn't afraid to take that bad-angle shot, there!"

well no ****, Bibs. Think that might be part of the problem?

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012
Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey is dump and grind
Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey is north and south
Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey is stretch passes
Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey is replaceable parts
Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey is passing during the power play
Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey is Ruslan Fedetenko Hockey
Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey is getting to your game
Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey is seniority
Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey is depth down the middle
Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey is driving to the net
Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey is defensive defencemen pinching in the offensive zone
Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey is 40 minutes with a 20 minute intermission
Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey is grinding ******* down
Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey is never having to say you're sorry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad