What is Peyton Krebs?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I just see him as having heart, but not the ability.
I like his skating a lot. If he can embrace the role of a pesky, speedy, defensively sound center + simplify his game, then he can find a spot in this league.

Im fine with him as the 4C as long as they add a true top-9C with a solid defensive game + build the flanks around him with physical rats who can form a good bottom-6 checking line.

goach

Jun 30, 2013
I like his skating a lot. If he can embrace the role of a pesky, speedy, defensively sound center, then he can find a spot in this league.

Im fine with him as the 4C as long as they add a true top-9C with a solid defensive game + build the flanks around him with physical RATS.
Would he work on first line with Thompson, and maybe Quinn. Make a solid second line of Cozens, Petterka and Tuch.

goach

Jun 30, 2013
Like that line a lot! Thompson, Quinn Benson.
Then Cozens, Peterka, and Tuch. Third line. Krebs, Skinner, Greenway. I'd like someone better than Krebs. Then bring up a kid line. Maybe keep Girgs as a mentor, and stabilizer.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
He can’t be the only guy to do it. They need more, not just him and occasionally Cozens.
they need someone to do it, when youre talking about krebs finding a roster spot it seems like its on him for not being the only guy doing it, you can chew ankles and be small

goach

Jun 30, 2013
Then Cozens, Peterka, and Tuch. Third line. Krebs, Skinner, Greenway. I'd like someone better than Krebs. Then bring up a kid line. Maybe keep Girgs as a mentor, and stabilizer.
Only problem is they are still soft.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yep. Still.
If he became something like Bolland, that would be an incredible positive outcome. It would also be a perfect fit for our needs at center in the bottom 6.

To have our own Versteeg/Bolland/Ladd line would be awesome.
Even if he just becomes a Danny Paille type, there's value in that as we saw when he left here..
I don’t think he fits that type of player profile. Paille played a pretty simple North/South game with speed, was good defensively and hit like a tank.

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I thought last year was a make or break year for Krebs. Was definitely more on the break side.

Willing to give him another shot but wouldn’t mind if we moved him either. I think he will become a decent player idk if it’ll be with us though. Don’t think we have the ability to wait it out

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
I thought last year was a make or break year for Krebs. Was definitely more on the break side.

Willing to give him another shot but wouldn’t mind if we moved him either. I think he will become a decent player idk if it’ll be with us though. Don’t think we have the ability to wait it out
Krebs already is a decent player. He is, at worst and already, a perfectly fine 4th line centre. He needs to get better at face-offs and get stronger, and that should come with maturity and experience. The 4th line centres in the Stanley Cup Final are Kevin Stenlund and Derek Ryan. Both are decent to good NHL 4th liners. Neither is going to be on the ice in a crucial last minute situation for either team (though Ryan is really good at face-offs). Krebs is, in my view, in the same class as these players and still has significant upside at this point in his career. It is disappointing that he does not appear to be developing into a top-6 forward, but he is far from being a complete bust and is already a useful NHL player.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Was probably rushed into the NHL when he should have been in the AHL.
One of Adams failures cause he didnt add a vet to replace him.
Now its too late for that route & experiments.
I just hope they dont assume he is the 4C or even the 3C without a saftey net.
He should be 13th forward at best next season or better packaged in a deal.
He sure has the potential but we run out of time & patience around here.
Its a make it or pack your things season for Adams.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
What I see in Krebs is his heart is willing. I really want to see him under Lindy Ruff. Even at the price of it may not work and he becomes a non-factor in trade talks.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Trade bait and fools gold with a false promise of elite vision and playmaking, without the frame, skill, or strength to execute his strength. Without the hockey IQ to know his backhand across the seam with 3 defenders will be broken up. He will be in the AHL for good within 3 years.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
He's had three seasons to show something, and he's still no better than a mediocre 4th line center. He has no exceptional skills and doesn't excel in any role. Get what you can get for him, and bring in a 4C who is actually good at a couple things.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
He's had three seasons to show something, and he's still no better than a mediocre 4th line center. He has no exceptional skills and doesn't excel in any role. Get what you can get for him, and bring in a 4C who is actually good at a couple things.
I disagree.

1. He was kept up in the NHL because the GM wanted to show he got a good return for Eichel, even though his development would have been better getting a year or so of AHL time.

2. Granato, although supposedly a "development focused coach" seems to have been unable to develop anything other than "offense by the rush". The skills that Krebs needed work on were never really emphasized.

3. This is sort of an addendum to point 1, but Kreb's play style really requires more physical development (growth, muscle gain, etc.,), which takes time. But he wasn't given that time and was in the NHL too early.

4. Ruff, as a player and coach, is more aligned with what Krebs needs. And honestly is a much better NHL level coach. I'm interested in seeing what he can do with many of the players that stagnated under Granato.

5. We Sabres fans seem to have a history of running players out of town before they are truly ready for the NHL. Much of that is because of 13+ years of futility. And the fact that our coaching staffs have been mediocre (to put it kindly) over the past decade.

6. Krebs had success as a playmaking Center in Juniors, not a goal scorer. But the past few seasons he's been lined up with Girgensons, Okposo, and other 4th line players. He's never really been put in a situation to succeed, other than later last season after Mittelstadt was traded away. It will be useful to see if he can succeed when given a real opportunity this season. (Assuming Buffalo DOES trade or sign a true 4.)

This is all my opinion, of course. I just see the effort Krebs puts in. The kid has a good attitude and effort, and god knows we need more of that, not less.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I disagree.

1. He was kept up in the NHL because the GM wanted to show he got a good return for Eichel, even though his development would have been better getting a year or so of AHL time.

2. Granato, although supposedly a "development focused coach" seems to have been unable to develop anything other than "offense by the rush". The skills that Krebs needed work on were never really emphasized.

3. This is sort of an addendum to point 1, but Kreb's play style really requires more physical development (growth, muscle gain, etc.,), which takes time. But he wasn't given that time and was in the NHL too early.

4. Ruff, as a player and coach, is more aligned with what Krebs needs. And honestly is a much better NHL level coach. I'm interested in seeing what he can do with many of the players that stagnated under Granato.

5. We Sabres fans seem to have a history of running players out of town before they are truly ready for the NHL. Much of that is because of 13+ years of futility. And the fact that our coaching staffs have been mediocre (to put it kindly) over the past decade.

6. Krebs had success as a playmaking Center in Juniors, not a goal scorer. But the past few seasons he's been lined up with Girgensons, Okposo, and other 4th line players. He's never really been put in a situation to succeed, other than later last season after Mittelstadt was traded away. It will be useful to see if he can succeed when given a real opportunity this season. (Assuming Buffalo DOES trade or sign a true 4.)

This is all my opinion, of course. I just see the effort Krebs puts in. The kid has a good attitude and effort, and god knows we need more of that, not less.

This is a well-written and very reasonable post. I agree with almost everything and just wanted to acknowledge this.

Reactions: Dex and Ehran

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
I disagree.

We don't disagree on why he hasn't developed. We disagree on keeping him around and giving him more time to figure it out. This team is no longer in a place where they can gift ice time to a 23 year old who doesn't have a clearly defined role, whether by his own fault or the organization's, in the hopes that he finally realizes his potential. The odds of that are low. He should be considered a sunk cost at this point.

They have logjam of forwards who are ready to step in, and plenty of better 4C options on the market. I'd rather have a good, prototypical 4C than a mediocre one with potential, who was supposed to be a playmaker and failed, and is now being shoehorned into the role because he was a 1st rounder and they can't find a better spot for him.

Reactions: Fjordy and Beerz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad