What is it like to love a football club?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Have a read here and find out: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/18/want-to-care-like-they-care-learn-to-love-football

It was the first day of the season, an hour until kick-off. The curtain had not risen; those heroes and villains, strolling players and strutting fools who make up Scottish football’s dramatis personae were yet to make their entrance, and so this moment of expectation belonged, as always, to the fans.

One of these fans, perhaps the most dedicated of all, sat in the supporters’ bar at Firhill, the stadium in the west end of Glasgow, sipping a bottle of lager, one of two he allows himself before each game. A ritual within a ritual. Henry Calderhead, better known as Auld Harry, better still as Harry Bingo, is 97 and has been going to see Partick Thistle, known as the Jags, since the end of the second world war. How extraordinary to think that Harry’s brown eyes – not as sharp these days – had watched Thistle play for more than 70 years, and his voice – not so loud these days – had urged on players who were now old men themselves. To be a supporter for so long requires us to accord that word “passion†its older, deeper meaning: that of endurance, even suffering. The Passion of Harry Bingo was what I had come along to witness, in the hope that this old, rather frail man, swathed in a scarf of gold and red, could teach me to care like he cares. I wanted, in short, to learn to love football.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
It's some kind of magic moment that makes you love a team. Discripe how you fell in love with a girl/woman. I bet you can't do it. It simply happens.
I fell in love with the Canadiens because of Guy Lafleur and I will always have a love/hate relationship with my hometown club Hannover 96. I can't explain.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's some kind of magic moment that makes you love a team. Discripe how you fell in love with a girl/woman. I bet you can't do it. It simply happens.
I fell in love with the Canadiens because of Guy Lafleur and I will always have a love/hate relationship with my hometown club Hannover 96. I can't explain.

I could, but my post would immediately get removed & I'd probably get suspended :laugh:

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
What is it to love a football club?

Union was/is special, because of the "Mielke" club Dynamo Berlin. We knew that even in West Germany. Fixed games and stuff.
St. Pauli I don't like, because of this political left wing culture. Hansa Rostock and Dynamo Dresden either for similar reasons (right wings).
Nina Hagen sang your club hymn IIRC.:yo:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I dont have to read, i already love a club (Malmö FF). I loved this club since 2000. My dad bought me tickets and right away i fall in love with this club. The colours, the stadium, the club-songs etc it was love in first sight. At this time MFF played in the second division and Zlatan was a key player but i did not care about him, it was the club itself and its surroundings that i fall in love with.

Its like loving a family-member but even more.....nothing makes me more happy and depressed than this club. Watching this club is the thing i look most forward to in my life.

I was born in this city, raised here and lived here my whole life. I even played for this club when i was a kid (goalkeeper). MFF is the only club i have ever loved.....its a true love.

I feel sorry for the plastic-fans around the world that will never love a club for real. Many just follow a club they think are the best or have most funny playing-style....

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
It's a different kind of thing when it comes to my lot. In ye olden days we were the dockers' team, so a rough bunch we were from the start. In more modern times you have the relative glamour of Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea et al to compete with, so generally you have to have a screw loose in the manner of love to follow a club like mine. It's that love that keeps sides like ours alive because there's no sane reason to do it.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
It's a different kind of thing when it comes to my lot. In ye olden days we were the dockers' team, so a rough bunch we were from the start. In more modern times you have the relative glamour of Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea et al to compete with, so generally you have to have a screw loose in the manner of love to follow a club like mine. It's that love that keeps sides like ours alive because there's no sane reason to do it.

Millwall, right?
Love their hymn.
Violent supporters.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I was a Man United fan as a kid, until about 5. Then I stopped as I just didn't feel that connection I had with my local team, Southend. It just felt fake watching a team hundreds or miles away and I enjoy watching my local team so much more. 13 year season ticket holder now and had gone before that a lot.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
My local side Bohemians nearly folded in 2005 and the fans collected millions of crowns to save the club. We've got a great ****** little stadium that other teams like to put down but for us it's home. Various investors have tried to get us out of and for two years we even had to play two tram stops away at the shiny new butt-ugly Slavia stadium, where most of our fans refused to go.

I'm intrigued by the Union video with all that standing room. A few years ago they installed seats in most of our traditional standing section. People still stand there but the seats were required by the regulations. Are there no regulations in Germany governing standing/sitting?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Germany doesn't have the same regulations about terraces as there are in the UK. Plus preventing the city legislature from having a say in what goes on inside the stadium is a big part of why the club refused city funds for their renovation & instead saw thousands of fans (including my uncle & his buddies) volunteer their labor to complete the project.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
It's a never ending stream of heartbreak and disappointment, occasionally broken by brief glimpses of hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad