What is Brandon Davidsons upside?

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Matheson isn't exactly a great journalist but he isn't going to lie about that. I have little doubt that Davidson is a very attractive defender. Only gonna trend upwards with his never satisfied work ethic.

Short of an undisputed number one defender I don't really see much to trade him for. Doesn't seem worth it. Even if he does just become a solid number three defender. That's a very useful piece. Especially if he can fill in on the top pairing for 20 or so games.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Does anybody else see Brandon Davidson's upside as a Jason Smith who stays out of the box? He just needs to grizzle up a bit and become a bit more wily (I have no idea how one becomes those two things, you just kind of grow into it), and voila! Both Regina Pat products too. :laugh:

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
This thread kind of has me scratching my head. I see a lot doubting Davidson as a 2nd pairing D man, but are so sure Klefbom is a top pairing. Which after watching many games of both live in OKC and a lot of games on tv in the NHL more recently I would say Davidson is a much surer bet to solidify a 2nd pairing gig than Klefbom being known as a top pairing. I
I just think many here overrate Klefbom due to the fact that our D core has been so piss poor for so long. Two very different players, but I would say they are a 3/4 respectively if they pan out.

Totally agree, especially after the injuries.
Klefbom, Davidson, heck even Nurse may be top pair in the future but if they are it's mostly on who they are paired with. These arent guys that burst on to the scene and within a couple years after the draft everyone hailed as elite defensemen. They could be good, very good with the right partner. If we're planning on writing them all into the lineup for next season we're likely to be disappointed. Nurse needs seasoning. Klefbom has missed more than half a season and we dont even know the extent of Davidsons injury yet. If we plan on Klefbom in the top pair and Davidson in the second pair we're likely to need to fill those holes

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This thread kind of has me scratching my head. I see a lot doubting Davidson as a 2nd pairing D man, but are so sure Klefbom is a top pairing. Which after watching many games of both live in OKC and a lot of games on tv in the NHL more recently I would say Davidson is a much surer bet to solidify a 2nd pairing gig than Klefbom being known as a top pairing. I
I just think many here overrate Klefbom due to the fact that our D core has been so piss poor for so long. Two very different players, but I would say they are a 3/4 respectively if they pan out.

Imo it's more like we have a top 4 and then a bottom pair. Klefbom can be top pairing, but definitely not as a #1, and we can't have a true undisputed top pairing unless we get someone like OEL, Weber, Doughty etc.. Without that top pairing anchor we simply don't have a true top pair period. However, it is not uncommon for teams to have success with just a solid group that lacks that game breaking ability. Maybe we make the playoffs with that thinking, but to take that step towards being a contender we need to find that top pairing anchor. That seems like a reasonable progression.

If we can limit the challenges and difficulties that our top 4 has to face, then they can function much better than just having two 2nd pairings. Part of that is having a guy like Davidson on the bottom pair. That takes the pressure of the top 4, and it also means that in case of injury we have a guy who can jump in and not be a liability. I think Davidson is 2nd pairing talent for sure, but with our group he is the perfect anchor of a high profile bottom pairing. Then we have a top 4 that can get similar results as top tier talent does.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Fingers crossed Osterle follows the Davidson carry path. Both have similar paths so far almost and were developed for a while in the AHL. IMO itd be incredibly lucky to get out of Osterle what we are getting out of Davidson, but Osterle has some good tools himself

Edmonton Oilers: Next Defenseman factory :sarcasm:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I would agree with you based off career paths and in general.

However. Klefbom surprised me this year. His offense/puck moving continues to shine but his defensive game improved by leaps and bounds as the season progressed.

Hopefully the injury doesn't erase that and if it doesn't I would certainly say Klefbom has a higher top end than Davidson and both should be solid middle pairing types.

snowrunner*

Sep 15, 2006
Davidson has exceeded expections at every level of hockey starting in Midget, every level was supposed to be his last.

He has overcome alot of adversity along the way. As for his potential, who knows?? But if he keeps on improving would it be a stretch to seem him as a second pairing d-man on Team Canada at the Olympics.

I wouldn't bet on it to happen, but I wouldn't be against him either...

We would be in the playoffs of we had 6 Brandon Davidsons playing on the back end...thats a certainty

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Shoo-in for the Masterton.

His story is a good fit with the history of the Masterton.

If he is our 5D next year I think that is the best for the organization. A 5D on a reasonable contract who can step up and play second pairing minutes is a great asset to have.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
He plays the position as its supposed to be played, at both ends of the ice. He is not great at anything, but is good at everything. He really doesn't seem to have a glaring deficiency. I hope he is on this team for years to come and will easily be a steady 2nd pair guy.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
He plays the position as its supposed to be played, at both ends of the ice. He is not great at anything, but is good at everything. He really doesn't seem to have a glaring deficiency. I hope he is on this team for years to come and will easily be a steady 2nd pair guy.
I hope they sign him to a lengthy affordable contract, it would help immensely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad