What in the heck is wrong with Elias Pettersson?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Henrik Sedin WAS given 3rd line grinders to play with. The list is long: Trent Klatt, Jason King, Anson Carter.... before finally settling on Alex Burrows (who up until then was an undrafted journeyman who came up through the ECHL).

He turned all of them into 30 goal super studs. The problem was never the Sedins.

Well the Sedins did always have the opportunity to play with the other, but yea, even when Daniel was hurt in 2009-10, Henrik managed to create with Burrows and a revolving door on his wing.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Henrik Sedin WAS given 3rd line grinders to play with. The list is long: Trent Klatt, Jason King, Anson Carter.... before finally settling on Alex Burrows (who up until then was an undrafted journeyman who came up through the ECHL).

He turned all of them into 30 goal super studs. The problem was never the Sedins.

Are you seriously going to ignore his star twin linemate? I am talking about BOTH the linemates being 30 point guys. Thought that was pretty clear.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Anson Carter was a top-line forward already in Boston and Edmonton.

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
Are you seriously going to ignore his star twin linemate? I am talking about BOTH the linemates being 30 point guys. Thought that was pretty clear.

That wasn't your argument.

Your argument was that he never played with 3rd line grinders. The answer is he did. His entire career. But he was good enough to turn 3rd line grinders into 1st line producers.

Like BJ McDonald. Go ahead, look him up. Three guesses who he was playing with in 1980.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011

Your argument was that he never played with 3rd line grinders. The answer is he did. His entire career. But he was good enough to turn 3rd line grinders into 1st line producers.

Like BJ McDonald. Go ahead, look him up. Three guesses who he was playing with in 1980.

Don't tell me what my argument was, especially when you don't know what my argument was lol

Henrik Sedin never played a season with BOTH 3rd line talents as his linemates. Fact. He played with his superstar brother, and they were able to make genius plays with eachother. He never had to carry Mikheyev, Lafferty and Hoglander all by himself like Pettersson has had to do this year.

Reactions: mriswith

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Pettersson took Hoglander and pretty much doubled his career high in goals.

Pettersson can improve his linemates just like Henrik Sedin. The problem is Pettersson doesn't have a Daniel Sedin on his other wing. He has Ilya Mikheyev.

And at Pettersson's age, Henrik was just about to set a career high of 75 points in 82 games.

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
Don't tell me what my argument was, especially when you don't know what my argument was lol

Your argument was : "It would be like giving ... Henrik Sedin 3rd line grinders to play with."

He was. His entire career. And he made them non-3rd line grinders.

Henrik Sedin never played a season with BOTH 3rd line talents as his linemates. Fact. He played with his superstar brother, and they were able to make genius plays with eachother.

Henrik Sedin won the Hart Trophy the year his brother was injured and he kept producing at the same pace. It seemed it didn't matter who his linemates were, he always found a way to produce with them.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
hes mentally fragile. doesnt shoot and overthinks too much. forget the "injury excuse" we wont know until end of the playoffs.

Reactions: sting101

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Your argument was : "It would be like giving ... Henrik Sedin 3rd line grinders to play with."

Henrik Sedin won the Hart Trophy the year his brother was injured and he kept producing at the same pace. It seemed it didn't matter who his linemates were, he always found a way to produce with them.

3rd line grinders (notice the S that I used). plural. Plural = 2

Do you seriously think my argument was that no playmakers have ever played with 1 3rd line player on their line? Use your brain before wasting my time replying.

And Henrik played with Daniel for all but 20 games during his Hart season. His other linemate Burrows was a 30-goal scorer... (not a 30 point scorer).

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
When he was 4 years older than Pettersson currently is. Petey already has 150 pts more on his career than Henrik had by the same point.

I love the Sedins. But we can't act like they were the 28-33 year old sedins when they broke in. They were 30-40 pt 2nd- 3rd liners playing behind the west coast express. They got pushed around and outmuscled but they never quit. Pettersson from day one has been significantly outperforming and more important to his team. If his late 20s can have the same trajectory as Henriks then the sky is the limit.

Reactions: MNRube and crowfish

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
3rd line grinders (notice the S that I used). plural. Plural = 2

Do you seriously think my argument was that no playmakers have ever played with 1 3rd line player on their line? Use your brain before wasting my time replying.

And Henrik played with Daniel for all but 20 games during his Hart season. His other linemate Burrows was a 30-goal scorer... (not a 30 point scorer).
In their defence, your comment could be interpreted as both ways, but most people would take it the way the poster you quoted and not the way you "intended."

Reactions: zeeto

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
In their defence, your comment could be interpreted as both ways, but most people would take it the way the poster you quoted and not the way you "intended."

What part of "he plays with 30 point wingers" can be interpreted as he plays with exactly 1 30 point winger. Why would I bring up Backstrom (played with Ovechkin) and H.Sedin (played with D.Sedin) as examples when I am claiming that Pettersson does not play with good wingers...

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

This is a completely absurd and disingenuous "argument".

Henrik Sedin's best winger every year and every game was hall of famer Daniel Sedin. Missing 19 games once in 10 straight years of healthy seasons is the opposite of "produced without his brother". I think Henrik would have become a hall of fame centre even if he never had Daniel.... but we'll never know, because he always had him.

Pettersson doesn't have anyone to play with. He literally gets the worst wingers in the top 9. Mik bounces between Petey's line and the 4th line and Hog spent most of the year on the 4th line. There is literally no one in the entire league who has expectations anywhere near what Pettersson has who also is given as little to play with as he is.

There is an ocean of difference between having two 3rd/4th liners as your wingers vs having a hall of fame winger and a 3rd liner. The gap is so massive it makes no sense to compare the two.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Don’t know a player in the league that gets the “he must be injured” excuse used more than EP. This is who he is at this point. It’s all mental. Still young enough to overcome it but not all that surprising.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
What part of "he plays with 30 point wingers" can be interpreted as he plays with exactly 1 30 point winger. Why would I bring up Backstrom (played with Ovechkin) and H.Sedin (played with D.Sedin) as examples when I am claiming that Pettersson does not play with good wingers...
I'm not sure what you don't understand. Multiple people have interpreted your comments differently. Players aren't always on the ice with the same people, all the time. You could be precise if you wanted people to interpret exactly what you intended, but instead you got pissy.

Reactions: zeeto

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It's good news for Canucks fans that they've been able to steal a few games without EP really contributing. But if they're going to get past the top teams out West, they're going to need him to step up.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
For me it seems like he simply hasn't put in the work to get better. Came into this league already a very talented player, lack of skill is not the issue. That he still weighs 176lbs as a 6'2 NHL #1 center is frankly embarrassing. Can't drive the net very much when you're just physically outmatched against most defenseman. His skating hasn't improved much either. He does not move his feet, most times he gets the puck he's immediately looking to get rid of it.

I'm not going to declare him pathetic or cooked or whatever, we see players evolve all the time. We also see them stagnate from not maturing and I think that's what is happening here for Pettersson. You gotta have that intrinsic drive to be a marquee player in this league, talent alone is not going to be enough, and for the Canucks sake I hope that big deal they gave him is enough to kickstart it because if not that will be a real rough contract.
6’2 176 has got to be the skinniest modern day nhl player ever. Even Gaudreau is listed at 5’9 160 but he’s probably more like 5’7-8. Even if Peterssson is only 6’1 he should weigh at least 185.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
It's really difficult to stand out individually in the NHL playoffs. Many superstars just disappear come playoff time and become average 5vs5 players who just go with the flow of the game. Marner, Panarin, Matthews, Gaudreau, Barkov, Ehlers etc. High skill players who don't have that dog in them and thrive with excess time and space that goes away when everyone is going 110% and commitment to system play in every shift is at maximum.

A lot of them will never dominate playoff hockey. Petey may figure it out... or not. But it's his first taste of playoffs.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
For me it seems like he simply hasn't put in the work to get better. Came into this league already a very talented player, lack of skill is not the issue. That he still weighs 176lbs as a 6'2 NHL #1 center is frankly embarrassing. Can't drive the net very much when you're just physically outmatched against most defenseman. His skating hasn't improved much either. He does not move his feet, most times he gets the puck he's immediately looking to get rid of it.

I'm not going to declare him pathetic or cooked or whatever, we see players evolve all the time. We also see them stagnate from not maturing and I think that's what is happening here for Pettersson. You gotta have that intrinsic drive to be a marquee player in this league, talent alone is not going to be enough, and for the Canucks sake I hope that big deal they gave him is enough to kickstart it because if not that will be a real rough contract.
Yeah this argument works for a player coming from another league, not for a player who has already scored over 100 points in a single NHL season

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He got dumped like a bad habit after one of the Nashville goals, I will tell you that much. Not great, but at least his team has a 3-1 series lead.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Don’t know a player in the league that gets the “he must be injured” excuse used more than EP. This is who he is at this point. It’s all mental. Still young enough to overcome it but not all that surprising.
Mitch Marner fans would like a word with you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad