What heavy metal are you listening to? (and what can you recommend)

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
I'm in the same boat. Most modern metal lacks good song writing, and instead favours a technical, riff salad approach. I think Wage War is one of the few modern bands I like. Trivium is definitely in that 2000s group of bands, but some of their recent releases (The Sin And The Sentence, What The Dead Men Say, In The Court of the Dragon) have been stellar if you haven't checked 'em

Agreed, I am not a fan of the 'wall of sound' approach that these modern bands seem to be obsessed with.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Asking songs to always be great musically and have perfect lyrics is too much. Sometimes it happens, probably, but if you like a song, you have to forgive if there's something cringey about it:laugh:

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Wow, what a debut album! Just discovered these guys. For fans of Dream Theater, Haken, Devin Townsend, BTBAM...

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Some albums I've been digging recently:

Sleepytime Gorilla Musem - Of Natural History (more avant/classical/prog influenced)
Godflesh - Pure (absolute grinding industrial metal)
SYL - City
Today is the Day - In The Eyes of God (post-metal-ish, this album has Brann and Bill from Mastodon as the rhythm section)
Devourment - Molesting the Decapitated (early slammy DM, riff heaven)

Elvis P

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1700172910382.png

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I've been listening to Immortal's Battles in the North every day for a week, which I probably do at least once every winter.

I also recently found a remaster of Absu's Third Storm of Cythraul on Youtube where you can actually hear the double bass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad