Speculation: What happens to Nicklas Bäckström after this season?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
He'll probably go back to Russia.
backstrom_640.jpg

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What do people think? What would his value be on the open market and what do you think Caps could offer in order to keep him, considering Ovie's contract expires a year later?

I’ve followed Bäckström a long time. It’s funny, I searched up my first post mentioning Bäckström and it’s probably one of the better posts I’ve made at this place lol:
Redline Report:Johnson is #1

Anyway, I of course don’t know the kid, but it feels like I do if you get what I mean? So take this with a grain of salt — but I would be really surprised if Niklas could see himself playing anywhere else than in Washington, unless like they go in to a full scale rebuild down the line.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I’ve followed Bäckström a long time. It’s funny, I searched up my first post mentioning Bäckström and it’s probably one of the better posts I’ve made at this place lol:
Redline Report:Johnson is #1

Anyway, I of course don’t know the kid, but it feels like I do if you get what I mean? So take this with a grain of salt — but I would be really surprised if Niklas could see himself playing anywhere else than in Washington, unless like they go in to a full scale rebuild down the line.

Nice post! I too followed him since his junior years with Brynäs and he's always been one of my favorite players. I get what you mean and I'm agreeing with you.

Reactions: Nifty Willy and Ola

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I think it is going to be a 5 year conract with the Caps with AAV somewhere between 8 and 9M. He deserved to retire as a Cap, just needs to retain his current level of play this upcoming season.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Why is Backstrom ditching Washington to go to Russia?
Just joking. People have been saying for years how Ovechkin will ditch the Caps to go back to Russia sometime instead of playing here until he’s 40. So will Backstrom and Holtby

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
7.8m x ~5

Then OV signs the same next off season. They decide to all make about the same in an effort to surround themselves with the best players possible to get maybe 2 or 3 more cups (because with a savvy GM like BMac it can really make a difference). Consider it an investment in making the team win (unlike the players in Toronto). Think about it... if you have 50 - 70 million in personal assets and will be making tens of millions more why push for the extra one or two after tax per year at this point if you and the other stars on the team all make it harder for the team to assemble a winner going forward.

Also, if you win a couple more Cups going forward your revenue from endorsements will be higher and you may end up with more money.

Ask yourself, when you are 85 would you rather have 4 Cups and 55M cash on hand , or 1 Cup and 60M cash on hand???

Reactions: Armchair GM

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
7.8m x ~5

Ask yourself, when you are 85 would you rather have 4 Cups and 55M cash on hand , or 1 Cup and 60M cash on hand???

I'm not necessarily disagreeing that Backstrom and Ovi sign reasonable deals, but the question isn't what they have at 85, rather what they have at 40. Would some players be willing to sacrifice 3 cups for $5M? I'm thinking some would be. Asking about what they have at 85 doesn't really matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad