Value of: What does Jarry + for Copp cost for Pens?

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
What would Pittsburgh need to add to Jarry to get Detroit to agree to swap Copp for Jarry? I've outlined some cap and roster frameworks below to make the current rosters and cap work, but I'm confident that Detroit would not want to take on that 4th year of Jarry without compensation. Pittsburgh needs to incentivize them with pick(s) and/or prospect(s).

For the record, Puckpedia says that for a Jarry buyout, the cap hit on the year(s) beyond 2028 is below $0.8m no matter which summer the buyout happens.

Cap and roster frameworks for a trade :

Jarry for Copp = DET has too many goalies and PIT has too few goalies
...but you can do it if you want. PIT takes on $0.25m cap

TRISTAN JARRY (4y @ $5.375m)
LARS ELLER (1y @ $2.450m)

TOTAL CAP = $7.825m
Cap as low as $6.600m with Eller retention

TRISTAN JARRY (4y @ $5.375m)
CODY GLASS (1y @ $2.500m then RFA)

TOTAL CAP = $7.875m
Cap as low as $6.625m with Glass retention

ANDREW COPP (3y @ $5.625m)
CAM TALBOT (2y @ $2.500m)

TOTAL CAP = $8.125m

ANDREW COPP (3y @ $5.625m)
ALEX LYON (1y @ $0.900m)

TOTAL CAP = $6.525m

Since people on this forum seem to be slow on the uptake, I will once again state that Pittsburgh needs to add a pick or prospect or both, and this is a Value Of thread where I'm asking you what Pittsburgh needs to add to make a fair deal. Anybody who makes a comment on how the value of Jarry and Eller/Glass for Copp and Talbot/Lyon isn't a fair deal does not have reading comprehension.

P.S.
In regards to Cossa and Blomqvist...

If PIT wants their kid in the NHL full time next season, they could move Talbot or Nedeljkovic in offseason if needed.
If DET wants their kid in the NHL full time next season, they could move Talbot or waive Jarry and put in AHL.
Whichever team has Lyon could let Lyon walk in UFA and replace him with the kid next season.
Lyon could also be traded as a rental at 2025 deadline for a pick to make room for Cossa / Blomqvist.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Penguins have been taking other teams capdumps for picks. So why would they suddenly start going in the opposite direction?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I only see Jarry going somewhere else with either another expendable player (we have many) who's value is mid to balance out his own.... or 1 for 1 for something ugly.

I don't see us adding any picks or prospects or retention, really. Well, I guess I'd be surprised to see any sort of retention style deal right now.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
So Detroit has too many goalies and Pittsburgh has too few, so let's fix that by trading a goalie and a center for a goalie and a center.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
So Detroit has too many goalies and Pittsburgh has too few, so let's fix that by trading a goalie and a center for a goalie and a center.
The OP is saying "the current situation is okay, but DET has no room to add another goalie and PIT has no room to remove a goalie". The trade is not trying to address a goalie shortage or a goalie surplus. It's a change of scenery for 2 players having a rough time, and Copp mayyyybe helping Crosby Malkin Letang get to the playoffs and go as deep as possible, at least moreso than Jarry looks like he could help right now.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
The OP is saying "the current situation is okay, but DET has no room to add another goalie and PIT has no room to remove a goalie". The trade is not trying to address a goalie shortage or a goalie surplus. It's a change of scenery for 2 players having a rough time, and Copp mayyyybe helping Crosby Malkin Letang get to the playoffs and go as deep as possible more than Jarry looks like he could help right now.

Dude, I get it... But McDavid and Shesterkin are not taking this Pens team to the playoffs.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Copp has negative value as well. 3 years at almost $6 million to play bottom 6, often 4th line. This is "bad 3 year contract for a bad 4 year contract, and the team taking on the 4th year gets to ask for something extra".

copp has 4 pts in 8 games with 3 goals vs Jarry who was sent down to the farm for conditioning

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
copp has 4 pts in 8 games with 3 goals vs Jarry who was sent down to the farm for conditioning
(1) - Small sample size.

(2) - I've watched extended highlights of most DET games this season, and he doesn't get a ton of ice time or look extremely good when he has a shift. He hasn't stuck out in a bad way, but he isn't sticking out in a good way either. IMO anyways.

(3) - On the Red Wings subforum on this website, the Detroit fans in their thread about how they want the roster to look keep putting Copp on the fourth line, even with him having 4 points in 8 games. It seems to me that if he TRULY looked very good to start the season, and it didn't just look like a small sample size thing, then maybe the Detroit fans would be wanting him to play 2nd or 3rd line for the time being until his scoring cools down. The fact that they aren't doing that is very telling, IMO.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Copp has negative value as well. 3 years at almost $6 million to play bottom 6, often 4th line. This is "bad 3 year contract for a bad 4 year contract, and the team taking on the 4th year gets to ask for something extra".

Rather have the bad 3 year contract when the player in question can at least constribute something. Add that he has 4 pts in 8 games and is one of the better PKers on the Wings. Why would we trade for Jarry when we already have goalies (incl Husso)?

(1) - Small sample size.

(2) - I've watched extended highlights of most DET games this season, and he doesn't get a ton of ice time or look extremely good when he has a shift. He hasn't stuck out in a bad way, but he isn't sticking out in a good way either. IMO anyways.

(3) - On the Red Wings subforum on this website, the Detroit fans in their thread about how they want the roster to look keep putting Copp on the fourth line, even with him having 4 points in 8 games. It seems to me that if he TRULY looked very good to start the season, and it didn't just look like a small sample size thing, then maybe the Detroit fans would be wanting him to play 2nd or 3rd line for the time being until his scoring cools down. The fact that they aren't doing that is very telling, IMO.

Also wrong. He plays a ~quarter of the game at ES and is one of three PK options behind Compher.

Wings fans putting him on the fourth doesnt equate to "Lets trade him for Jarry."

Last edited:

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
So its agreed, Detroit doesn't need Jarry, and the Pens don't need another bottom 6 player signed for term at 5.6/yr

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
This is the wrong way. Detroit would need to add for Jarry. He is struggling now, but he is not a bad goalie. Last season, he tied for most shutouts and for a team that doesn't play defense had respectable stats.

Jarry is still a starting goalie in the NHL, Copp is as stated, a 4th liner.

Ad

Ad

Ad