• 15aav

Votes: 29 12.3%
  • 16aav or higher

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He could get $14m if he wants it.

My guess though is that McDavid, Draisaitl, and Bouchard sit down together and find a way to stay together. I think they'll each give up significant money. They want to win and their best shot is doing that with each other.

Draisaitl has already been severely underpaid for several years at this point. He probably goes for the money this time around and no one should blame him for it.

I highly doubt it comes in below Matthews. Probably more like 14M

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
13.29m. He'll just want to be highest paid player in the NHL for a season until Mcdavid takes the mantle.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I’m hoping he takes a deal that looks like the current contract McDavid has (8 x 12.5). Then McDavid takes 8 x16 the following year.
Not happening. They are both underpaid already. They both took discounts on their current contracts. That won’t be doing it again. Their agents are gonna go hard at the Oilers, if they even entertain the idea of staying in the first place.

Reactions: Voight

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Draisaitl has already been severely underpaid for several years at this point. He probably goes for the money this time around and no one should blame him for it.

I highly doubt it comes in below Matthews. Probably more like 14M

I think people are fools just assuming that most players value dollar figure above everything else. They love playing with each other, they appreciate how incredible it is.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think people are fools just assuming that most players value dollar figure above everything else. They love playing with each other, they appreciate how incredible it is.

Yea, I mean regular Joe’s choose familiar environments over extra money all the time, it shouldn’t be surprising that someone who’s set for life regardless might do the same.

Reactions: majormajor

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

He can be paid his value and still play exactly where he is and with McDavid and I’d bet that’s exactly what will happen. You’re naive if you don’t think money is going to be one of the biggest determining factors in whether he stays

Draisaitl has been underpaid by 3-4M per year for probably for 5+ years now. He’s going to expect to be paid commensurate with how he’s performed for the club.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Define "significant". Because while they might be willing to not nickel and dime the club (ie. settle for a few hundred thousand less), I doubt they're giving up millions per year.

I could see a million plus less for all of them to stay together. They put a big dollar figure on playing with each other.

I'm sure you're familiar with this with Crosby.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I could see a million plus less for all of them to stay together. They put a big dollar figure on playing with each other.

I'm sure you're familiar with this with Crosby.
Different situation. One, Crosby had the benefit of a CBA that allowed for ridiculously long terms so you can lower the AAV by adding on some low salary seasons at the tail end of it. And two, Crosby is obsessed with the number 87.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Different situation. One, Crosby had the benefit of a CBA that allowed for ridiculously long terms so you can lower the AAV by adding on some low salary seasons at the tail end of it. And two, Crosby is obsessed with the number 87.

If Draisaitl gets 8 years though it would take him to the same age Crosby’s deal expires at though. While those years allowed Crosby to get big salary payouts early, which is more valuable overall, it shouldn’t really impact the AAV too much differently if the assumption is that both players should still be valuable up to the end but with some falloff from their peaks. At least not to the extent we can’t say he clearly took a discount and left money in the table. It wasn’t a deal until 40. The 87 was obviously a factor though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If Draisaitl gets 8 years though it would take him to the same age Crosby’s deal expires at though. While those years allowed Crosby to get big salary payouts early, which is more valuable overall, it shouldn’t really impact the AAV too much differently if the assumption is that both players should still be valuable up to the end but with some falloff from their peaks. At least not to the extent we can’t say he clearly took a discount and left money in the table. It wasn’t a deal until 40. The 87 was obviously a factor though.
Pretty sure in the new CBA the lowest salary in a contract can't be a lot less than the highest salary. In Crosby's contract, he was making $12 million per year for the first 3 years of the deal, and that amount dropped to $3 million per year in the last 3 years of the deal. I don't think you can have a $9 million discrepancy in the new CBA.

Edit: Should say, I don't think the percentage drop can be as large between highest and lowest. If you look at Tavares' deal, the highest he makes is $15.9 million and the lowest is $7.95 million, so roughly half. Crosby makes a quarter in his lowest than he does in his highest.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Pretty sure in the new CBA the lowest salary in a contract can't be a lot less than the highest salary. In Crosby's contract, he was making $12 million per year for the first 3 years of the deal, and that amount dropped to $3 million per year in the last 3 years of the deal. I don't think you can have a $9 million discrepancy in the new CBA.

Edit: Should say, I don't think the percentage drop can be as large between highest and lowest. If you look at Tavares' deal, the highest he makes is $15.9 million and the lowest is $7.95 million, so roughly half. Crosby makes a quarter in his lowest than he does in his highest.

You can’t, but that’s not really the point. Crosby is going to play out the contract, and his last three years will have been/will be well above 3 million in value, as would have been expected when the contract was signed, and he’s been better than his 8.7 AAV as well. The intention of the real back diving contracts like Luongo and Kovalchuk was so that the additional years brought the AAV down but the player had no real intention of playing them out or if he did, he wouldn’t bring nearly the same value as his AAV. Sid’s contract was heavily front-loaded, which adds monetary value on his end due to inflation/potential investment over the time frame over what’s possible now, but not to the extent that it makes up for what he could have made. No one would have batted an eye if he made 10 million AAV when he signed, even if it still took him to 37.

With Draisaitl, you can’t backdive the contract as heavily, but the fact that he won’t be the same player in his mid to late 30s will certainly be taken into account over the course of the deal just as it was to some extent with Crosby.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Arguably 2nd best player in the league. Big. Super skilled. Ultra competitive. Proven point producer. Centre. UFA. And the cap is rising significantly.
Adds up to 15+ x 7/8

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I am going to say Draisatl signs for 8 yrs x $14.5 M AAV with a 95% of it in signing bonus.
He could get $14m if he wants it.

My guess though is that McDavid, Draisaitl, and Bouchard sit down together and find a way to stay together. I think they'll each give up significant money. They want to win and their best shot is doing that with each other.

So what does giving up significant money look like for you.

Assuming they use the 88M Cap to base on:
Bouchard signs for the same % of cap that Nurse did he is getting a $10M AAV contract
Draisatl taking the same % of cap that Matthews did that turns into a $14M AAV

The following year assuming a modest 5% rise in Cap for McDavid's extension the cap will be around 92.4M
McDavid at 16.67% of cap is $15.5 M AAV

Are those the discounted values? They may sit and talk about discounting to "stay together" but at the end of the day the only one who MIGHT give up significant money is McDavid and thats by keeping his % of cap at 16.67%.
Bouchard got forced into a bridge and it looks like bridging him is going to backfire on the Oilers because even though he is always going to be a flawed all-round dman he is an elite offensive dman and he is going to get paid.
Draisatl is going to be coming off what luckily for the Oilers ended up being a bargain contract. There isn't going to be a second bargain.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
13-13.5M over 8 years structured however he wants it. That deal makes him the highest paid player ever in the history of the game.

Any other team who wants to beat that is going to have to spread that extra 13M over 7 years just to match what the Oilers can offer. Is there a team out there that can afford to offer him 15-16m AAV for 7 years that Leon would consider playing for?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Given the numbers people are throwing, Edmonton will have 4 guys making up over 50% of the cap. McDavid 16? Drai 14? Nurse is at 9, what is Bouchard getting ? At least 10 if Nurse is at 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad