What do you think the desk was made out of? (The ESPN coverage thread)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Why Bob Wischusen and Gord Miller aren’t the main play-by-play guys for ESPN

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I‘m going to go with it‘s an expensive as hell table, and that‘s why it isn‘t bigger. It‘s clearly real wood.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Doubtful it’s mdf or real wood. Both are too heavy to move about. It’s likely some kind of laminated synthetic. They could have used a lot more real looking laminate, that’s for certain.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Kenny Albert is the best in the biz, at least out of the American pbp guys

Is that a popular take? I don't find him to be anything special, but I thought his dad was pretty good.

Emily Kaplan more annoying than the desk imo. She literally sounds like a 5th grader asking her teacher a question when she does interviews.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something odd about the way she delivers her on camera segments.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
If I were ESPN, I would get in on the joke and come back with the most ornate table imaginable for the next game.

Like the throne from game of thrones, but as a table.

I'd have the hosts sipping from ornate golden steins and have meek looking serfs replenishing their cups from crystal decanters after each sip.

algernon

Mar 19, 2006
Calgary
Not going to wade through sewerX. What's wrong with the table?
What do you mean? It's not on X, it's in the original post. Hosts' desk is an Ikea Billy shelf and people are angry.

Is that a popular take? I don't find him to be anything special, but I thought his dad was pretty good.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something odd about the way she delivers her on camera segments.
That might bite you in the ass

AzHawk

Dec 20, 2015
guessing that their broadcast space was too small (just look at it) for whatever desk they might normally trot out so they sent some intern to a furniture store

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Wow, video comparison is so telling! Dang, NHL sure misses Doc EMrick calls in playoffs. Very thankful for games Doc called, he was legend that created so many awesome memories for fans.

Plus, next batch of announcers come from environments that restrict critical thinking across-the-board, PC culture rules-the-day, and are ate-up with.... "Might offended someone diseases" (M.O.S.D. for short). This hurts end product, and the Doc Emrick's of yesterday, are all but gone.Many sports announcers today lack emotions and personality.... The announcers who have reached big-time lately are robots, that are massed produced & programed: Most have personality of a paper-bag, and sure wish most were like Charles Barkley that gives honest views, entertaining, and brings real emotions. Change is a given , but that doesn't mean that change is good. Hopefuly pendulum swing$ other way so we get fans get "Real" talent.
L take.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Watching Euro 2024, and let me tell you the British announcers we are getting on TSN are so much better than any hockey announcer we have in Canada or USA. It’s unreal the difference in quality.

AzHawk

Dec 20, 2015
Pine is good

UtUspG6.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad