OT: What do you think of Ypsilanti these days?

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
The Big D*ck!

Yeah I never felt that Ypsi was all that dangerous. Blue collar town with a nice college town wrapped inside. Of course, that was 25 years ago and I was hanging out with a bunch of wannabe-hippies who were forever-students playing hackysack and eating tabs of acid like chicklets.

In that time I went from thinking that if you LOOKED at a tab you'd be naked on top of a telephone pole chewing gravel that night to commenting casually "oh, you got more of the tie-dyed sheets in? You gonna pass that out for free again or are we gonna pay the cable bill for once instead?"

Wannabe Hunter S. Thompson gonzo hippies make TERRIBLE dealers. They give everything away.

Funny thing was when I first showed up everyone wanted to get me high on various things. Once they established all I would touch was some booze, the next time someone new offered me something, they'd get all huffy - "Dale doesn't TOUCH that stuff!" Like I was a D.A.R.E. pet or something. Funny as heck.
Brick Dick, my dude. It's never been called anything but the brick dick.

Ypsi has gotten worse in several areas just due to the taxes and income disparity. A couple neighborhoods are absolute shitshows (and it's well known which ones).

A majority of Ypsi is fine. There are just certain areas that are very no-no places.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Krigsgaldr

Jul 25, 2011
Lexington Kentucky
Damn and all these years I remembered it as Granny's chicken lol . Hey look I don't care those gizzards were good as f*** even now living in Kentucky where fried everything especially chicken is taken very seriously those are still something I remember very fondly . Especially grabbing some on the way back from the heritage festival at the end of every summer . Lol one year a cavalry reenactor damn near clipped me with his sword . Man had to of made a few too many trips to the beer tent . God the good old days lol

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Aww, Abe's! Yeah, I had a few meals there. And I never even knew the real name of Family's - everyone I knew called it "the chicken shack" and so I did too.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
There used to be a place on Cross St. called the College Dog. It was a coney island, but it got bought by an Asian family and they tweaked the menu. It always made us laugh that you could get a dog with everything along with an order of the best pork-fried rice ever.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
There used to be a place on Cross St. called the College Dog. It was a coney island, but it got bought by an Asian family and they tweaked the menu. It always made us laugh that you could get a dog with everything along with an order of the best pork-fried rice ever.
Remember Liquor's Quicker on Cross?

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I mean, if that isn't franchise worthy I don't know what is!

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7