What do you think happened with Toews after 2015?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Unfortunately I’m not sure why Toews fell off so hard after our last Cup win. It was a major detriment to the Hawks considering his cap hit and role on the team. Personally I bet he lost the drive at that point. 3 Cups + 2 WCF appearances, 1 Smythe, 2 gold medals, and a perennial Selke nominee all before he turned 27 years old and then he got a $84 million dollar contract on top of it. Maybe the guy had just done it all at that point and the fire went out.

I remember he was on some weird podcast talking about some strange lifestyle views and all I took from it was that maybe this guy wants to start thinking about other things than hockey 24/7.

No hard feelings obviously. The guy is a legend in Chicago and aside from Crosby and Kopitar I don’t think there was another center in the league we could’ve had from 2009-2015 that would’ve given us so much success. His drop off was just very unfortunate for us as his cap hit was so big and his importance to the team so high. It sucks seeing so many other players be so productive well into their 30’s and Toews failing to crack 60 points for 3 years in a row before he turned 30.

Reactions: Ben Grimm

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
My original thought was that he picked up some strange illness (intestinal thing) on his Machu Pichu trip and it was undiagnosable even to this day.

Until we know something else definitively, I'm going to stick with that.

Reactions: Drumman44

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
U can ask the same question, give or take a season/year, about the Keith/Seabrook duo.

Those 2 also declined rather rapidly. Look at Doughty in LA for example who even last season(2023/24) was still performing at top pairing level.

GIADF

Not A Mod
Aug 17, 2024
Toews lost his passion to play... and then had that whacky disease that the one tribune article couldn't find anyone from the CDC to comment on, or something like that. Something about that whole thing was always off to me.

I think he was just looking for a way out of the league while still at an age that a lot of other guys can still produce at.

U can ask the same question, give or take a season/year, about the Keith/Seabrook duo.

Those 2 also declined rather rapidly. Look at Doughty in LA for example who even last season(2023/24) was still performing at top pairing level.

Keith declined naturally because of age, and Seabrook the same with the addition of poor conditioning and diet.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Completely speculative, but I’ve wondered if the concussions caught up with him, and if he started having vision or processing issues. He appeared to not see the ice as well as he had before.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
It all fell apart after the Machu Picchu incident when he got recognized by a tourist ...This set in the curse of Machu Picchu..he never was as good again.

Either that or been there ,done that...retire to the Country Club and just punch the clock.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
It all fell apart after the Machu Picchu incident when he got recognized by a tourist ...This set in the curse of Machu Picchu..he never was as good again.

Either that or been there ,done that...retire to the Country Club and just punch the clock.
1730124679814.jpeg

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Dude had a lot of playoff mileage and a concussion history.

It doesn't really take that much to assume that the wear and tear of hockey just caught up to him.

And guys, the parts of Peru that Toews traveled to are very well-visited. It's not a place where untold neurological agents are going to mess people up in an undiagnosed fashion. Heck, Cusco is a bucket list place I really want to visit, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad