What do we do with Holland? And Reimer?

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
Reimer can at least be a serviceable backup his confidence is down IMO. Nothing some super absorbent pads won't fix. He is a character individual and should rebound from his funk. Good opportunity to sign to a cheap contract.

Holland keep as well, skilled center with size, :yo::yo:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Reimer, Franson, and Holland represent decent pieces that are relatively expendable and who individually dont have a ton of value, but put together could potentially get us a pretty solid player.

Gardiner is an even better trade chip that could potentially be available, though not to the same extent as those three. He would require a better piece coming back.

Potential targets? Kesler, Giordano, Bieksa (i wouldnt go after him, too old IMO), MacDonald, etc.

I dont want to see us trade these young(ish) controllable assets for old pending UFAs, but for guys with term, or guys in their primes that we think we can resign? Yea, could be an option.

Otherwise, we could use some picks to replenish all the 2nd rounders we keep throwing around (Liles, Bolland, Holland, and Bernier trades all had us sending a 2nd rounder). Reimer and Franson could both be sent at the draft for futures packages. Holland i wouldnt trade in that type of move, may as well hold onto him and see what happens instead of that IMO.

A third option is trying to use these guys to trade up in the draft, which could be a good move depending on how high we could go.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
typical thread , we build a team that starts winning games , we build some depth and all you guys can think of is trading away the same pieces we spent so long putting in place , let them play together for a while and shut up about it , if you want to improve our goal tending get rid of All Airs people and their out dated style that has ruined so many of our good young goal tenders . get Reims a coach who can work with him on the style that got him into the NHL to begin with .

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
typical thread , we build a team that starts winning games , we build some depth and all you guys can think of is trading away the same pieces we spent so long putting in place , let them play together for a while and shut up about it , if you want to improve our goal tending get rid of All Airs people and their out dated style that has ruined so many of our good young goal tenders . get Reims a coach who can work with him on the style that got him into the NHL to begin with .

Allaire is with COL now. Rick St.Croix is the goaltending coach.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Reimer, Franson, and Holland represent decent pieces that are relatively expendable and who individually dont have a ton of value, but put together could potentially get us a pretty solid player.

Gardiner is an even better trade chip that could potentially be available, though not to the same extent as those three. He would require a better piece coming back.

Potential targets? Kesler, Giordano, Bieksa (i wouldnt go after him, too old IMO), MacDonald, etc.

I dont want to see us trade these young(ish) controllable assets for old pending UFAs, but for guys with term, or guys in their primes that we think we can resign? Yea, could be an option.

Otherwise, we could use some picks to replenish all the 2nd rounders we keep throwing around (Liles, Bolland, Holland, and Bernier trades all had us sending a 2nd rounder). Reimer and Franson could both be sent at the draft for futures packages. Holland i wouldnt trade in that type of move, may as well hold onto him and see what happens instead of that IMO.

A third option is trying to use these guys to trade up in the draft, which could be a good move depending on how high we could go.

Unless the return is a young player for the core, I don't see much reason to include Holland in many trades. He's a nice depth piece to have on the third line for injuries. He's pretty versatile and still plenty young enough to grow.

Kesler I'd be ok with though lol.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
Raymond will be traded, so Holland can take his spot. Reimer will be traded at the draft. Either to the Islanders or to Winnipeg. Winnipeg would be my guess for a few reasons. 1) I don't think Maurice has alot of confidence in Pavalec at all and Winnipeg still has a compliance buy-out. 2) He's a hometown buy that would put butts in the seats. 3) Winnipeg has the prospect depth to offer up some good pieces. My dream scenario would have Reimer and Gardiner gong to Winnipeg for Bogosian, but I think that only works in video games.

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I see Holland as a combination of Jay McClement and Mason Raymond next year to a certain extent. 4th line centre when everyone is healthy (for what, 2 games a year?), but realistically... a utility forward who plays somewhere on the team's 2nd or 3rd line. The good news is -- he'll come at a fraction of the cost of McClement.

Assuming we sign Bolland, we should probably still be looking for a couple of wingers to occupy spots on our 3rd line (ideally Kulemin and/or Raymond, but also may not be reality).

As for Reimer, I guess it depends on him. He can sign a short term deal to try and force his way back into the net in Toronto, or find his way out, in which case we'll need to pickup a backup.

Looking at Franson... realistically he goes nowhere unless he's being replaced. The Leafs have to look at their top pair most likely remaining together next year. I'm sure they'd like to have Rielly/Gleason as the bottom pair, which leaves Franson & Gardiner to make a #2 pair. I suspect one of those pieces gets swapped out in the offseason.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
To be completely honest there is only 2 forwards I'd be ok with leaving besides Clarkson because that contract..... But Lupul and Raymond. Raymond will want money we can not afford him. Lupul is awesome. But in the right deal I'd trade him.

We got to keep Holland. If he can play wing or become 3rd line centre and have Bolland as his RW (that's what he plays when he isn't a centre I believe) have Kulimen as the lw. Beautiful shutdown line with awesome secondary scoring against teams lower pairs

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Teams who may want Reimer??

NY Islanders
Edmonton Oilers
Florida Panthers
Calgary Flames

Best player potentially avaliable for a package including Reimer:

Ryan Strome (a guy who could easily play wing)

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Teams who may want Reimer??

NY Islanders
Edmonton Oilers
Florida Panthers
Calgary Flames

Best player potentially avaliable for a package including Reimer:

Ryan Strome (a guy who could easily play wing)

sorry but we arent even close to getting strome for ole high glove, reimer gardiner 1st MIGHT get it done but we'd likely have to add even more

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
but any ways, I predict that holland stays and plays wing on the 3rd line, and we trade ole high glove for a 2nd/3rd at the deadline

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Holland stays?
Reimer can stay if he wants but he won't be #1 barring injury which could happen, 1st rounder he's on a plane but we would need to pickup a backup goalie and tbh I like rolling with 2 goalies, just in case Bernier gets hurt

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Holland stays?
Reimer can stay if he wants but he won't be #1 barring injury which could happen, 1st rounder he's on a plane but we would need to pickup a backup goalie and tbh I like rolling with 2 goalies, just in case Bernier gets hurt

in what world is high glove worth a 1st? this is why we cant have nice things on the trade forums, hes worth a late second at best right now

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
So who is going to back up :facepalm: when Reimer is traded?

glad you asked, drew mac of course, 919 sv 2.44 gaa is definitely good enough to be an nhl backup, he also has intangibles like maturity, experience, compete etc etc

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Yes, other teams are just clamoring to give away one superior player for three lesser ones...

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Yes, other teams are just clamoring to give away one superior player for three lesser ones...

He never said "one superior player". He said a "pretty SOLID player". And he's not wrong.

There could very well be a team out there with needs that fit what some/all of those players offer, who could be willing to send a good but pricey shut-down D-Man in return.

To simply slough it off as impossible is silly.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

He never said "one superior player". He said a "pretty SOLID player". And he's not wrong.

There could very well be a team out there with needs that fit what some/all of those players offer, who could be willing to send a good but pricey shut-down D-Man in return.

To simply slough it off as impossible is silly.

It is possible a team could have a pending UFA and if they're going into a rebuild might consider downgrading with hope these cast offs can evolve into something.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Rebuilding/retooling teams roll the dice on deals like this all the time. That's like the package we got for Beauchemin or the packages we gave up for Phaneuf/Versteeg. And those are just recent examples from our organization, plenty of other teams do these trades all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
It is possible a team could have a pending UFA and if they're going into a rebuild might consider downgrading with hope these cast offs can evolve into something.

Reimer & Franson are not "cast offs" in any reality.

We just got Holland so there's no point in discussing him being traded, as it won't happen.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Keep Holland. We have Center prospects that are NHL ready. Bolland/Mclement are both UFAs who could leave in the off-season.

Anahiem simply had one of the best and deepest prospect pools with guys like Etem, Silfverberg, Palmeri, Smith-Pelley all in their 1st or 2nd year meaning they simply didn't have room to break in another young winger. It doesn't mean Holland couldn't be switched to the wing.

Reimer will simply be to expensive to a backup. Trade him in the off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad