What do we do when Nokelainen is back ?

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
When Nokelainen is back, we will have 24 players (extra: him, White, Weber, Kaberle), what should we do then ?

There's absolutely no way to keep 24 players ?
Who will be on waiver ? Who will be sent to Hamilton ?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Nokelainen just started skating on his own today. There's basically 6 weeks until the deadline. After the deadline, rosters expand (at least it was that way in the previous CBA).

My guess is they'll wait for that before activating him. Chances are we'll have at least 1 other injury anyway.

Unless, of course, someone makes a worthy offer on Weber (at least a 3rd rounder) or Kaberle (taking on the entire contract).

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I prefer to waive Noke than Weber.

From best scenario to worse:
1. Kaberle traded
2. Noke waived/traded
3. Armstrong waived/traded
4. White clears waiver, going to Hamilton
5. Weber waived/traded
6. White waived/traded

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
I prefer to waive Noke than Weber.

From best scenario to worse:
1. Kaberle traded
2. Noke waived/traded
3. Armstrong waived/traded
4. White clears waiver, going to Hamilton
5. Weber waived/traded
6. White waived/traded

3, 4 and 6 won't happen.

Weber is most likely getting traded for a 7th round pick.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
Waive Kaberle. If someone claims him, great. If not, Hamilton gets better and the Habs get 900k (pro rated) cap space. And Kaberle gets to play for pro scouts.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
I know the following will sound weird but I think Nokelainen is... a keeper! He is our only above average player in the faceoff circle. Plus, he is right handed. I like him as a #4C.

That said, if White and Dumont can thrive in the circle, I would be willing to waive him if it becomes necessary.

Shipping Weber out is also a possibility; especially with Kaberle as the #7D, Saint-Denis onboard and Tinordi knocking at the door.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Waive Kaberle. If someone claims him, great. If not, Hamilton gets better and the Habs get 900k (pro rated) cap space. And Kaberle gets to play for pro scouts.

Not a bad suggestion. At least that way Kaberle maintains game shape incase we need him (due to injury) down the stretch.

Best case he gets claimed and we can save our remaining amnesty buyout for the summer of 2014 just incase we need it then.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
So then you don't trade him.

Well i'm assuming he won't be qualified this summer so he's basically a goner in a few months anyway. Would you rather have the depth or whatever pick you can get?

If it came down to us really needing the depth i think we'd make a trade...i can't imagine the Habs being comfortable with Weber in the lineup at this point for an extended stretch.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
My guess is Weber will be traded.

Or we could..

piece-of-cheese-in-mouse-trap-sami-sarkis.jpg

Analyzer*

I'd be content with a 4th, or 5th rounder for either Kaberle, or Weber.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I know the following will sound weird but I think Nokelainen is... a keeper! He is our only above average player in the faceoff circle. Plus, he is right handed. I like him as a #4C.

That said, if White and Dumont can thrive in the circle, I would be willing to waive him if it becomes necessary.

Shipping Weber out is also a possibility; especially with Kaberle as the #7D, Saint-Denis onboard and Tinordi knocking at the door.

Noke is a perfect 12/13th forward, very solid defensively on the PK and his ability to play centre/wing is a plus.

As for the original post I think we probably trade Weber once Noke is back, unless somehow someone wants Kaberle around the trade deadline then obviously he's the first guy I'd want dealt.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

This. For this year at least. Nokelainen doesn't have the grit I want on our 4th line, but at least he can win important faceoffs in our zone, and he's not prone to White's stupid penalties. White needs to cut the crap, or I don't want him on this team, he's a dime-a-dozen type of player.

People don't want Weber traded for less than a 3rd? He's not even playing for us! As pointed before, a 5th round pick can bring you a Gallagher. Markov was a 7th round pick. Let Weber go, at least there's a chance someone wants him, contrary to Kaberle and his contract.

Analyzer*

A 5th pick for Kaberle would be great. Can I dream ?
5th picks: Gallagher, Dumont, Hudon.

That's why most dman got, so I don't see how they shouldn't be able to get it. Though, more likely a 7th.

A 5th rounder would be sick, though.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Let's ship Kaberle to Ottawa for a 6th pick, or Weber for 3rd pick.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Human sacrifice (Noke) to honor the hockey gods in hope it brings us another cup ? ;)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Well i'm assuming he won't be qualified this summer so he's basically a goner in a few months anyway. Would you rather have the depth or whatever pick you can get?

If it came down to us really needing the depth i think we'd make a trade...i can't imagine the Habs being comfortable with Weber in the lineup at this point for an extended stretch.

Wow, you really think Weber would not get a QO? He makes no money. He's a RH shot, has shown he can score goals, had a very good OHL/AHL pedigree and is still fairly young. Him falling out of favor has far more to do with Diaz's solid play than anything Weber has done.

I don't know why Ellerby only went for a 5th, but I don't get most of what Dale Tallon does anyway. We hear all the time how teams want offensive D's who can play a regular shift, you have to think someone at some point will want Weber and be willing to pay a 3rd for him.

If you buy out Kaberle this summer, you are down to 7 D's+the Hamilton kids who may or may not be ready. Bergevin has stated several times you need as many D's as possible to get through a season. I don't see why we need to just toss Weber away.

Bergevin himself said Weber was a NHLer when talking to the media 2-3 weeks ago and wasn't going to just trade him for the sake of trading him.

Don't we have to use our amnesty buyout this summer or lose it?

You can use it in the summer of 2014 too.

Last edited:

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
If one of Nokelainen Kaberle or Weber has to go and the return for any of them is going to be slight then trade one of the small/soft defencemen and keep the journeyman (but faceoff-capable) forward IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad