Speculation: What do the Toronto Maple Leafs do?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
The guy who's deciding that direction is Brendan Shannahan, who's not going anywhere.
Just because shanahan wouldn't let Dubas trade certain players doesn't mean he wouldn't let those players be traded at all. They could have been bad trades that Dubas thought were good.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
How about one Jeff Skinner at 50% retention? We will take back Tavares or someone else expensive so you get some cap this year for D/G and some goals back. You can have assets depending on who is included. I will likely see myself out now.
Leafs arent giving up the better player who has one year left on his deal for 3 more years of skinner, even at 50% retained.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Horrible idea then who feeds mathews?

you get rid of Tavares at the end of the year, continue to draft so you have cheap young players for depth and then you patch next year.

Trading a 90+ point winger with selke level defense is a horrible idea.

The play offs was not Marners fault, and leaf fans constantly blaming him is becoming annoying to hear.

Hockey is a team sport and the leafs lost because they have a poorly constructed roster, which can be fixed once you unload Tavares.

Stop whining and blaming Marner when he's been nothing but amazing for you guys,

Attachments

• Untitledbv.jpg
    Untitledbv.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1

myleafs

May 25, 2021
No, it’s annoying to hear how good he is when he is not all that. He is not worth 12M per year extension. 8 years of the same thing, they need to move on. He is soft, gutless, and takes 0 accountability for anything.
I mean that is a sens fan and they know a winner when they see one....:sarcasm:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'm pretty confident Zadorov is about to be Treliving's David Clarkson.

If Clarkson was just overpaid but contributed it wouldn’t have been a big deal, the problem was 0% of his skillset was above a fourth line level and he was an active liability every moment he was on the ice.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
First off would be max contract for Mitchell Marner. Then you find a way for Philly to get rid of Torts, hire him as an associate coach along with Babcock. Then trade for Evander Kane and sign Tony DeAngelo to make the mega room of all rooms.

After this master plan, the NHL gives us a documentary of the behind the scenes look next season about the real Toronto Maple Leafs.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Horrible idea then who feeds mathews?

you get rid of Tavares at the end of the year, continue to draft so you have cheap young players for depth and then you patch next year.

Trading a 90+ point winger with selke level defense is a horrible idea.

The play offs was not Marners fault, and leaf fans constantly blaming him is becoming annoying to hear.

Hockey is a team sport and the leafs lost because they have a poorly constructed roster, which can be fixed once you unload Tavares.

Stop whining and blaming Marner when he's been nothing but amazing for you guys,
You know how I can tell you have no idea what you’re taking about? All you’ve done here is regurgitate the shitty takes from this website.

Who feeds Matthews? What a dumb question. Again, if you knew what you were talking about, you’d know Matthews was at his best this year when Domi was on his line, in place of Marner. Matthews is a driver and doesn’t need anyone on his line to produce.

Every leaf fan knows Tre needs to move on from JT, but Toronto can’t hemorrhage anymore assets considering Dubas left the cupboards basically bare - it would have been even worse if Shanny didn’t neuter him at the TDL last year. Saying “move Tavares” isn’t some earth shattering revelation, everyone knows bud.

“The playoffs isn’t marners fault” - you wanna know what’s annoying? You clueless “fans” who have 0 idea what the issues are for the leafs in the playoffs. If you demand 12mil+ and are a complete non-factor in every playoff game, you are a problem, and an expensive one at that. But ya, leaf fans are annoying because they demand a bit of effort and accountability from Marner once the reg season ends.

All you guys are so smug and have all the answers when it comes to Toronto, but the more you post on the matter it’s crystal clear you don’t actually have any of your own opinions and only echo the nonesense posted here in an attempt to farm likes.

Pathetic post on your behalf IMO.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You know how I can tell you have no idea what you’re taking about? All you’ve done here is regurgitate the shitty takes from this website.

Who feeds Matthews? What a dumb question. Again, if you knew what you were talking about, you’d know Matthews was at his best this year when Domi was on his line, in place of Marner. Matthews is a driver and doesn’t need anyone on his line to produce.

Every leaf fan knows Tre needs to move on from JT, but Toronto can’t hemorrhage anymore assets considering Dubas left the cupboards basically bare - it would have been even worse if Shanny didn’t neuter him at the TDL last year. Saying “move Tavares” isn’t some earth shattering revelation, everyone knows bud.

“The playoffs isn’t marners fault” - you wanna know what’s annoying? You clueless “fans” who have 0 idea what the issues are for the leafs in the playoffs. If you demand 12mil+ and are a complete non-factor in every playoff game, you are a problem, and an expensive one at that. But ya, leaf fans are annoying because they demand a bit of effort and accountability from Marner once the reg season ends.

All you guys are so smug and have all the answers when it comes to Toronto, but the more you post on the matter it’s crystal clear you don’t actually have any of your own opinions and only echo the nonesense posted here in an attempt to farm likes.

Maybe you should read the leafs thread,
You’ll find half agree with you, and half agree with the one your talking down to.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Maybe you should read the leafs thread,
You’ll find half agree with you, and half agree with the one your talking down to.
I’m in the leafs thread.

Do you believe the “leafs” thread is only leaf fans posting? All the non leaf fans on HF can’t get enough leafs news and live to argue these nonsensical points.

I’d say 90% of actual leaf fans are done with Marner. The other 10% is mostly comprised by the remaining dubas fanboys and the rest are deeply hurt from years of having no susperstar level players.

Keeping Marner is the laziest approach Leafs brass could take. Literally brain dead to re-sign Marner.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Along with filling out their defence, the Leafs need a goalie that they can feel comfortable with if Woll gets injured. It's too much of a weak link if he goes in as the only capable starter.

I think you try to find a sign and trade deal with Marner for a few good assets to try to spread the depth and address those needs.

If he refuses, then they are simply screwed and it's a lesson on the dangers of NMC.

Reactions: Bust

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I’m in the leafs thread.

Do you believe the “leafs” thread is only leaf fans posting? All the non leaf fans on HF can’t get enough leafs news and live to argue these nonsensical points.

I’d say 90% of actual leaf fans are done with Marner. The other 10% is mostly comprised by the remaining dubas fanboys and the rest are deeply hurt from years of having no susperstar level players.

Keeping Marner is the laziest approach Leafs brass could take. Literally brain dead to re-sign Marner.
I thought the play was to try and move him., but now I’ve flipped to Marner’s camp is going to play this out, and make Tre make the tough decision of signing him to a an 8 year $100 million dollar deal or walking away, and getting nothing, albeit cap space.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I thought the play was to try and move him., but now I’ve flipped to Marner’s camp is going to play this out, and make Tre make the tough decision of signing him to a an 8 year $100 million dollar deal or walking away, and getting nothing, albeit cap space.
I agree this is probably where things are at.

Signing Marner to any contact at this point would be stupid, and I maintain that this is the laziest approach possible. Walking away makes more sense than signing this guy. He cannot handle the pressure in Toronto.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024

Actually I have formed my opinion based on my own observations, and I live in Ontario and I've watched plenty of Leaf games to know there issues and blaming one player for those issues when you can look pretty simply at the roster the problem is poor roster construction. And up until this year Marner has been one of the best leafs in the play-offs.

And I'm not here to farm likes I'm giving my opinion which is based off of watching hockey for 3 decades so no I'm not echoing the opinion of the masses, I'm simply stating the obvious which is leafs fans have always had whipping boys and drive players out of town.

Which is what you people are doing to Marner, and I'd argue your post is even more pathetic for jumping on the toxic leaf fan band wagon instead of admitting the obvious, the Leafs just haven't been good enough to win a series and its not a fault of one player but the fault of management for failing to surround those players with adequate support.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Actually I have formed my opinion based on my own observations, and I live in Ontario and I've watched plenty of Leaf games to know there issues and blaming one player for those issues when you can look pretty simply at the roster the problem is poor roster construction. And up until this year Marner has been one of the best leafs in the play-offs.

And I'm not here to farm likes I'm giving my opinion which is based off of watching hockey for 3 decades so no I'm not echoing the opinion of the masses, I'm simply stating the obvious which is leafs fans have always had whipping boys and drive players out of town.

Which is what you people are doing to Marner, and I'd argue your post is even more pathetic for jumping on the toxic leaf fan band wagon instead of admitting the obvious, the Leafs just haven't been good enough to win a series and its not a fault of one player but the fault of management for failing to surround those players with adequate support.

lol toxic leaf bandwagon. Ok man. Marner has been here for a long time - fans have seen enough. If you make over 10% of the cap and fail to be an impact, you are the problem.

Have you ever heard the phrase, “it starts at the top”? Accountability has to start at the top of the lineup. Leafs have to make a substantial change to the lineup, changing out depth D and bottom 6 is not the play. Getting rid of Marner is a maneuver to curate an actual hockey team and would have impactful, positive impact on the team.

Marners juvenile attitude and combativeness with the media is irritating on a multitude of levels. His comments regarding “haters” and his “me against everyone” attitude has worn fans out.

A huge part of the reason the leafs can’t win a series is because they have like 12% of the cap tied up in a non factor when games get tight. You spoke on Tavares, but if Marner brought his effort and grind you wouldn’t hear a peep out of fans - but he’s out there ducking hits in elimination games.

Marner is a huge problem on Toronto. You’re dead wrong if you think otherwise.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
No, it’s annoying to hear how good he is when he is not all that. He is not worth 12M per year extension. 8 years of the same thing, they need to move on. He is soft, gutless, and takes 0 accountability for anything.
If he’s traded to Ottawa he’ll never have to worry about his playoff failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad