Speculation: What do the Oilers need to do to take the next step?

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Apparently it's acquiring Erik Haula. He's the game-breaking piece 29 other teams wish they had and is the most underappreciated franchise player in the league.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
they need more out of their bottom 6, guys like Lander and Pakarinen don't make the roster on a good team.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Get another RD that's good on the PK and even strength.

Get a backup goalie that can steal some games.

Get a 4th line that can carry a regular shift.

Hurt anyone that tries to lay a hand on McJesus.

:yo:

Lucic, Kassian, Nurse, Maroon, Hendo, and possibly Khaira down the road is a tough group of lads. Anyone lays a ****ing pinkie on McDavid I want to see blood from that person and the guys go straight savage.

I see Lucic and Nurse (eventually when he fills into his body and ends up in the 6'4 225-240ish range) as a deterrent rather than needing to be goons and fight. Touch McDavid, you're getting ****ed up and then we're going to target your stars. Not worth it to even think about trying to bully McDavid.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Oilers still need a proven #1 defenseman with high end offensive capability. I'm stressing the "proven" part of that sentence before someone posts Klefbom's totals over a 30 game sample size.

They could also do with some good depth. They've got some high-end players in the top six, but their bottom six still looks rather meh.

buttman*

to go from good to great, they first have to become good !

Heard this before, about .. Hall... Yakupov... Nugent-hopkins.... etc....

Go flames.

So you are saying you don't know the difference between Yak and McDavid?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Oilers still need a proven #1 defenseman with high end offensive capability. I'm stressing the "proven" part of that sentence before someone posts Klefbom's totals over a 30 game sample size.

They could also do with some good depth. They've got some high-end players in the top six, but their bottom six still looks rather meh.

I agree with the first part (Klef is a stud as I'm sure you know, he'll open some eyes this year. But, we need to see it over a full season). Ideally, we still need that veteran RHD who can be the PP QB.

I think for the 2nd part, we might be going with the "top 9" approach rolling McDavid-Drai-RNH on their own line with a mix of speed and size on each line. Use the 4th line with guys like Hendo-Letestu-Kassian as the 4th line playing heavy PK minutes. Our depth up front is slowly getting better, we have more balance than I can remember in a long time.

But as always, we've been let down lots during the "Decade of Darkness". I'm optimistic, but I'm humble. We need to respect all of our opponents and come out to battle every game. Just take it one game at a time, hopefully the new arena and sense of a new era inspires the guys to play with heart and soul every night. That would be a good starting point.

buttman*

:yo:

Lucic, Kassian, Nurse, Maroon, Hendo, and possibly Khaira down the road is a tough group of lads. Anyone lays a ****ing pinkie on McDavid I want to see blood from that person and the guys go straight savage.

I see Lucic and Nurse (eventually when he fills into his body and ends up in the 6'4 225-240ish range) as a deterrent rather than needing to be goons and fight. Touch McDavid, you're getting ****ed up and then we're going to target your stars. Not worth it to even think about trying to bully McDavid.

Lucic never stopped Bergeron from getting wrecked. He never stopped Horton from run over. Lucic doesn't fight heavies. He fought 4 times last year. He's not as feared as he once was and nobody is shaking in their boots.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would do this unprotected as well. Maybe throw in a sweetener if needed.

You don't get a 1st pair RHD for the 1st. Not even unprotected and with a sweetener unless that sweetener is very, very good.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
trade the 2017 1st for a top pair RHD

The Oilers just traded for a top pairing RHD. He has been successfully playing in that role for a year and a half. Larsson is better than anyone available for the 2017 1st by a fair bit. The question that needs to be answered is how much his offensive game will grow in a different role. But defensively he is xery good and his ability to move the puck out of the zone is first rate.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I don't think there is much more management can do to improve things on an immediate basis.

Bottom line is the Oilers need to find some internal improvement if they are ever going to climb out of this hole. It's the only way.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I agree with the first part (Klef is a stud as I'm sure you know, he'll open some eyes this year. But, we need to see it over a full season). Ideally, we still need that veteran RHD who can be the PP QB.

I think for the 2nd part, we might be going with the "top 9" approach rolling McDavid-Drai-RNH on their own line with a mix of speed and size on each line. Use the 4th line with guys like Hendo-Letestu-Kassian as the 4th line playing heavy PK minutes. Our depth up front is slowly getting better, we have more balance than I can remember in a long time.

But as always, we've been let down lots during the "Decade of Darkness". I'm optimistic, but I'm humble. We need to respect all of our opponents and come out to battle every game. Just take it one game at a time, hopefully the new arena and sense of a new era inspires the guys to play with heart and soul every night. That would be a good starting point.

Up front, what does the Oilers' projected starting 12 look like? Something like this?

Lucic - McDavid - Eberle
Pouliot - RNH - Puljujarvi
Maroon - Draisaitl - Yakupov
Hendricks - Letestu - Kassian

I think, offensively, it's fine. But I think the Oilers are pretty weak on the right side in terms of two-way play, and two of their top nine LWers (Pouliot and Maroon) are question marks in terms of health/production as top nine.

The top line could be dynamite. The bottom line is okay, though I think guys like Letestu and Hendricks wouldn't be on the roster of "contenders". Just IMHO.

But I'm not sure about that "middle six", in terms of proven scoring, two way ability and/or health.

In any case, I do think the Oilers' season will hinge on how their defense -- both as a six man unit and as team defense among all 20 players -- performs. Lacking that elite QB (ie. a Barrie or a Shattenkirk could be huge) is the most glaring hole.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
On paper, there is no excuse why the Oilers can't make the playoffs.

Like someone else has stated, the team just needs to click and gel internally. Hopefully shaking up the core by moving out Hall helps that.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
If only the bruins had someone to ride shotgun with their stars to prevent them from getting maliciously injured. The oilers are lucky.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Lucic never stopped Bergeron from getting wrecked. He never stopped Horton from run over. Lucic doesn't fight heavies. He fought 4 times last year. He's not as feared as he once was and nobody is shaking in their boots.

Hits are going to happen in games, it's part of hockey. If we're talking a solid body check, that's part of hockey and not really what I meant. It's more any cheap shots or after the whistle stuff trying to push McDavid around and get in his head. That's not going to fly.

The Oilers have been bullied for years in the Pacific. I know I'm ****ing sick of it like many others. That doesn't match the personality of Albertans, and certainly not the type of hockey we've traditionally liked. Edmonton fans have always loved their tough guys, Lucic will be a rock star here. We started to see some fight back against the California teams at the end of the year, hopefully we see more. It's more the standing up for each other and not letting teams rough us up after the whistle or try to push us around without consequences during the game.

And if you think a hit like what happened to Horton in the playoffs wouldn't result in the Oilers team going ballistic, you're wrong. A player like McDavid is revered by his teammates, maybe it's his genuine humility and desire to be "one of the guys" not wanting attention on himself that adds to it? I don't know, but for whatever reason I have no doubt the guys would go savage to protect him and the response would be ugly.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I think they need a #2 still to make their defense dynamic, but I think they're a lot better situated for this season than most people realize. I see them finishing second in the pacific and going for a deep run if everyone stays healthy.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Up front, what does the Oilers' projected starting 12 look like? Something like this?

Lucic - McDavid - Eberle
Pouliot - RNH - Puljujarvi
Maroon - Draisaitl - Yakupov
Hendricks - Letestu - Kassian

I think, offensively, it's fine. But I think the Oilers are pretty weak on the right side in terms of two-way play, and two of their top nine LWers (Pouliot and Maroon) are question marks in terms of health/production as top nine.

The top line could be dynamite. The bottom line is okay, though I think guys like Letestu and Hendricks wouldn't be on the roster of "contenders". Just IMHO.

But I'm not sure about that "middle six", in terms of proven scoring, two way ability and/or health.

In any case, I do think the Oilers' season will hinge on how their defense -- both as a six man unit and as team defense among all 20 players -- performs. Lacking that elite QB (ie. a Barrie or a Shattenkirk could be huge) is the most glaring hole.

That's a fair analysis. I can tell you know our squad and understand hockey.

I think we still have lots of work to do (many, many Oiler fans say the same thing. We're realistic). The California teams are still on top and I think the Flames are ahead of us right now in the Pacific.

If the Central beats each other up and somehow the Pacific gets the two wildcard spots, I think we have a chance to fight for that #4/5 spot in the Pacific. I have no expectations we'll finish in the top 3 (it would be awesome if we did! Our fans deserve it), but I think we can possibly fight for a wild card spot.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You don't get a 1st pair RHD for the 1st. Not even unprotected and with a sweetener unless that sweetener is very, very good.

Yeah, you're probably right. And to be clear, I don't think he was talking about a "franchise D" or elite bona fide #1. More of a playmaking RHD who can play on the first pairing and PP, at least that's how I read it. Even then, it would probably take more than an unprotected 2017 1st and sweetener.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Hall is more than one > better than Lucic. Perhaps if Oiler management values players the way the fans do you need different management again.

All that said I think the Oilers will be a significantly better team this year. From now on just experience will be enough to see progression year to year. They got the talent, they addressed team balance this year in a way that makes me think they'll be able to tweak it as needed going forward, too, even if the individual deals made weren't great. Put it this way--even if they gave up more individual talent than they took in (and depending on how well Puljujarvi does that might not be the case) the team is better.

so patience. don't **** with the team unless there's signs of implosion. Don't expect the cup next year or the year after.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think they need a #2 still to make their defense dynamic, but I think they're a lot better situated for this season than most people realize. I see them finishing second in the pacific and going for a deep run if everyone stays healthy.

I think that's a little ambitious. I could see them barely squeaking in on a wildcard spot and then losing a hard fought first round. On the other hand I'm sure Bettman would love to see a cinderella run like that led by the leagues new phenom so they could market the **** out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad