What do the Oilers do with the Blues' offersheets?

What do the Oilers do with the Blues' offersheets?

• Sign Holloway, let Broberg walk

Votes: 108 57.4%
  • Sign Broberg, let Holloway walk

Votes: 13 6.9%
  • sign both

Votes: 13 6.9%
  • let both walk

Votes: 54 28.7%

• Total voters

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
For me (and I suspect most) it's match Holloway and let Broberg walk. Can't have a 3rd pairing dman on your roster make that much. It's smart for the Blues, limited risk and relatively cheap, and not like they have much in the pipeline to worry about Edmonton matching.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
For me (and I suspect most) it's match Holloway and let Broberg walk. Can't have a 3rd pairing dman on your roster make that much. It's smart for the Blues, limited risk and cheap, and not like they have much in the pipeline to worry about Edmonton matching.
Was Nurse playing second or third pairing minutes?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
For me (and I suspect most) it's match Holloway and let Broberg walk. Can't have a 3rd pairing dman on your roster make that much. It's smart for the Blues, limited risk and cheap, and not like they have much in the pipeline to worry about Edmonton matching.
Match Holloway, let Broberg walk is the way.

I'm not as high on Broberg as many are and I think 4.5 is a crazy overpay for him.

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Losing Broberg would sting due to the obvious upside but obviously there is some animosity there with the org if he was willing to do this knowing how good the team is gonna be. He is going to be 24 and hasn't been able to crack the lineup full time, he looked good for the most part in the playoffs but in the Final he had some real shaky stretches. Not worth the cap hit at this time when there isn't any to spare unfortunately. Moving Ceci would make room but not sure the org would even value Broberg over him for next season.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Retain Holloway and let Broberg walk

Its to bad for the oilers couldnt package Broberg + 2024 1st (Sam O'Reilly) + Nurse@7M to get out that contract and fix their LT cap situation

Broberg value ~ 2nd + late 1st for Nurse at 2.25M retained gives them 7M in space and would allow to fix the remaining holes on defense + tandemn goalie

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Losing Broberg would sting due to the obvious upside but obviously there is some animosity there with the org if he was willing to do this knowing how good the team is gonna be. He is going to be 24 and hasn't been able to crack the lineup full time, he looked good for the most part in the playoffs but in the Final he had some real shaky stretches. Not worth the cap hit at this time when there isn't any to spare unfortunately. Moving Ceci would make room but not sure the org would even value Broberg over him for next season.
Animosity towards the organization?
Someone just offered a young guy who has toiled in the AHL and hasn’t made a lot of money yet $5 million more over two years than he was going to get in Edmonton. The guy would be crazy to turn that down. It’s got nothing to do with animosity. It’s just common sense.

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Someone just offered a young guy who has toiled in the AHL and hasn’t made a lot of money yet $5 million more over two years than he was going to get in Edmonton. The guy would be crazy to turn that down. It’s got nothing to do with animosity. It’s just common sense.
If you think he was happy with his role and deployment the past couple years then I have a nice bridge to sell you.

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
The biggest issue was the cash imo.
I’m not into buying bridges.
It's the main issue for sure. I just think that there has to be more to the story considering how rare offer sheets have been. Offer sheets in the past have often been for deals larger than 2 years. Kotkaniemi was a 1 year deal but he got an extension right after.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sign them both trade them for more than you get in the offer sheet compensation or find a way to make room for them by removing someone else from the roster.

Broberg is a heck of a player just scratching the surface, they cant afford to lose him on the back end.

Pretty simple concept, they are over thinking it.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Wasn't Broberg the player who covered for Nurse and made him look competent on defense?

I do recall Broberg being really good in the playoffs.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Broberg stabilized the pairing with Nurse a bit in the playoffs, but he hasnt shown much beyond that to justify the price. I guess they have to decide if moving Ceci and putting Broberg in that spot is at least a wash for this year and then the better option long term. It wouldn’t be so difficult if it was the start of the McDavid era but at this point every year left of his/Draisaitl’s prime has to be seen as cup or bust.

Holloway is not quite as problematic a hit so maybe you match, but I’m not sure if he’s someone you screw around the cap with either. He’s shown some flashes of a player but again, this season is more important than the future.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Awesome move from the Blues. The highest dollar offered for the most meager draft pick compensation. Oilers have no depth defensively. By next playoffs... Ekholm is 35, Ceci is 31, Nurse is 30, Kulak is 31. Brouchard is the only young player in the top 5. They could not afford to lose Broberg with Stecher and whomever the heck Joshua Brown is as the options. Go sign Barrie? ok.

Holloway an expensive 4th liner now as we assume the Oilers match vs letting him walk for a pick in the 80s?

Today is a mess for the Oilers. Rock and a hard place.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
It's crazy how Broberg went from having little value at the TDL to being offered 4.5M after 10 playoff games. That being said, I think he'll be a good one.

Blues did some good damage to the Oilers today.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
It's crazy how Broberg went from having little value at the TDL to being offered 4.5M after 10 playoff games. That being said, I think he'll be a good one.

Blues did some good damage to the Oilers today.
This.

I honestly don't even know if I'd want to pay Broberg at that cap hit, even if the Oilers were able to. Take the 2nd and run.

Holloway is a no brainer though, keep him.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Sign them both trade them for more than you get in the offer sheet compensation or find a way to make room for them by removing someone else from the roster.

Broberg is a heck of a player just scratching the surface, they cant afford to lose him on the back end.

Pretty simple concept, they are over thinking it.
You can't trade them for 1 calendar year if you match.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I love mad fans. :laugh:

How is it a bitch move?
Dunno why anyone is even mad to begin with. The 2nd seems like the most obvious value play possible. No chance the Oilers should even consider matching.

Also not sure why people are mad about Holloway being over paid like 900k

• Haha
Reactions: bert and PuckG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad