what do the Leafs do on offense?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nothing devastating yet, but he’s signed some bad contracts with bad term. If Nylander floats through the rest of his contract…..it could be very bad.
All GMs make mistakes, but he hasn't done anything egregious yet.

If Nylander plays through his new contract the way he did the last couple of years of his old one, it won't be bad.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
All GMs make mistakes, but he hasn't done anything egregious yet.

If Nylander plays through his new contract the way he did the last couple of years of his old one, it won't be bad.
Everything Treliving has done has been very low risk. I don't think that is an accident.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Nothing devastating yet, but he’s signed some bad contracts with bad term. If Nylander floats through the rest of his contract…..it could be very bad.
He's done well with a bad situation. Swap him out and there's a lot of risk to do worse.

In a 'what goes around comes around' way, if we had of applied tactical patience for a couple years in 2018, we wouldn't have to go through the two year retool now, with unfortunately, even less promise coming out the other end.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Everything Treliving has done has been very low risk. I don't think that is an accident.
He came into Toronto very low risk, protected the downside, but we don't have the capital to get out of the moves made this summer, Tanev and OEL, if things go south. There was a stark increase in risk taken this offseason compared to the last one. Although there was some mitigation getting the AAV's low.

If one of those dudes faceplant there will actually be something of substance for his critics to leverage. His 'list' will have started.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He came into Toronto very low risk, protected the downside, but we don't have the capital to get out of the moves made this summer, Tanev and OEL, if things go south. There was a stark increase in risk taken this offseason compared to the last one. Although there was some mitigation getting the AAV's low.

If one of those dudes faceplant there will actually be something of substance for his critics to leverage. His 'list' will have started.
I think all of his off-season signings were very low risk. Worst case, it's just money on those deals. Has he traded a single roster player since he was hired? For a guy with a history of not being afraid to make trades, he has been pretty timid on the trade front since joining the Leafs. Again, I don't think that's an accident. I think those are the parameters he has been given by his superior.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I think all of his off-season signings were very low risk. Worst case, it's just money on those deals. Has he traded a single roster player since he was hired? For a guy with a history of not being afraid to make trades, he has been pretty timid on the trade front since joining the Leafs. Again, I don't think that's an accident. I think those are the parameters he has been given by his superior.
Worst case it could be more than just money on those deals, OEL was recently bought out. Tre is on the hook for ensuring those defenceman are what we need them to be - they're not one year deals and they encroach on the post JT11M timeline. And we have no room for error - tough goings he signed up for.

There's not much meaningful trading for Tre to do, the large majority of his asset capital is NMC'd. Seems they wanted to bypass that with Marner but couldn't.

You could be right about organizational dysfunction, that would be unfortunate.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He's done well with a bad situation. Swap him out and there's a lot of risk to do worse.

In a 'what goes around comes around' way, if we had of applied tactical patience for a couple years in 2018, we wouldn't have to go through the two year retool now, with unfortunately, even less promise coming out the other end.
Yes he entered a bad situation, but he hasn’t done much to improve it. If they had finished the original rebuild without shooting themselves they wouldn’t be in the continuous position of just trying to ice a team.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Yes he entered a bad situation, but he hasn’t done much to improve it. If they had finished the original rebuild without shooting themselves they wouldn’t be in the continuous position of just trying to ice a team.
Fair enough but that's the thing about patience, we're sort of in a holding pattern for now before we can recognize material improvements to the team.

Tre had to play a longer game. This offseason makes me think he's starting to feel the heat a little bit, but we won't really know until next year how well he's doing, bar catastrophic events.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
View attachment 897451

You can argue that the adjustments he made did not work... but he made adjustments...

What are you even arguing? You agree adjustments were made...

Or you're questioning the motive of his adjustments? I don't even understand what you're saying, it makes no sense.
You are pretending to not understand because you don't want to.

I think everyone here who doesn't want to play dumb understands that by 'adjustments' we are referring to the changes made in direct response to changes made by the other team, and specifically within a game or a series.

He has made random changes, but has not made changes in response to changes made by opposing coaches.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You are pretending to not understand because you don't want to.

I think everyone here who doesn't want to play dumb understands that by 'adjustments' we are referring to the changes made in direct response to changes made by the other team, and specifically within a game or a series.

He has made random changes, but has not made changes in response to changes made by opposing coaches.

No, the logic you are presenting just doesn't make sense to me.

Did he make changes for fun?

The changes were random?

Nothing makes sense unless it is to adjust to how the games are going...

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
No, the logic you are presenting just doesn't make sense to me.

Did he make changes for fun?

The changes were random?

Nothing makes sense unless it is to adjust to how the games are going...
The logic makes perfect sense if you want to admit it.

I do agree with your last statement. Nothing makes sense unless it is to adjust to how the games are going...and since they weren't, they obviously made no sense.

Thanks for finally figuring it out.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The logic makes perfect sense if you want to admit it.

I do agree with your last statement. Nothing makes sense unless it is to adjust to how the games are going...and since they weren't, they obviously made no sense.

Thanks for finally figuring it out.

What adjustments didn't make sense, and what adjustments would you have made?

You seem to have this figured out.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What adjustments didn't make sense, and what adjustments would you have made?

You seem to have this figured out.
I know you're intentionally wandering farther and farther away, but I'll play your game one more time.

How about something as simple as the PP was working better when Marner and Rielly were injured, but as soon as they returned they were reinstated. Even worse, after they were out back in and the PP got worse again, he didn't adjust to the situation.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Fair enough but that's the thing about patience, we're sort of in a holding pattern for now before we can recognize material improvements to the team.

Tre had to play a longer game. This offseason makes me think he's starting to feel the heat a little bit, but we won't really know until next year how well he's doing, bar catastrophic events.
They’ve been in a holding pattern for 7 yrs. This year should be much the same unless they go on a Cinderella run. The fix seems to be to wait for contracts to expire and then replace them through FA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad