Value of: What do Panthers do??

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
With no draft capital whatsoever, and being up against the cap, what are the Panthers actual options, to upgrade, before or at the deadline?

Would they trade Knight? He’s likely their best piece at the moment, plus moving him, brings some much needed cap relief, with his over $3 million buried.

Is there only other real option, moving Samoskevich?

They’re going to be a real interesting team leading up to the deadline. If they think they have another run in them, they’ll upgrade. The problem is, they’re running low on assets. It’ll be interesting to see if they’re ready to move Knight, and because of his issues, would anyone be comfortable taking the $4.5 million?? Chicago?

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
IMO, not forseeing any injuries, Panthers really just need to address the 3rd line RW spot.
Get Cousins to the 4th line full time and get someone with a hint of scoring touch.

I don't think Zito is desperate to move Knight, even with his recent production in the AHL/cap hit. His value is at an all time low anyways.

Doubt they consider moving Samoskevich unless the player they are getting is cheap/has term/uspide.

I expect a minor trade(s) to bolster the roster.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Unless there's something I'm not seeing on capfriendly they can add 6 million in cap hit at the deadline. I don't think they have any intent of moving Knight, probably don't have the assets to land a big fish like Lindholm or Hanifin but I could see them adding a middle six forward and maybe a #4/5 D

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
With no draft capital whatsoever, and being up against the cap, what are the Panthers actual options, to upgrade, before or at the deadline?

Would they trade Knight? He’s likely their best piece at the moment, plus moving him, brings some much needed cap relief, with his over $3 million buried.

They’re going to be a real interesting team leading up to the deadline. If they think they have another run in them, they’ll upgrade. The problem is, they’re running low on assets. It’ll be interesting to see if they’re ready to move Knight, and because of his issues, would anyone be comfortable taking the $4.5 million?? Chicago?

They don't really have any holes. They have a pretty decent healthy scratched D in Mikkola right now. Maybe another 3rd line winger and they have cap space for an addition at the deadline. The team is really solid top to bottom. They are a team that would get away with adding a guy like the Oilers did in Bjugstad last deadline for a 3rd and prospect.

Jack Roslovic, Dominik Kubalik or Anthony Duclair could be depth options for likely a 4th rounder, maybe 3rd rounder tops if the market is bare. Maybe they take a swing at a guy like Tarasenko. Much like Monahan and Henrique I see these guys going for a 2nd +. Really don't think not having a 1st would hamper them making some additions.

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Don't see a big swing this year, likely a middle 6 player (buy low on a struggling shooter or more 2 way player with above average shooting).

Forsling and Reinhart are likely his top two decisions on UFAs, Montour won't command as much as last year because of injury limiting this year in production.

I also don't see Knight moved.
I think one of Bob or Ekblad being moved in July, more so Ekblad as Bob has become a lot more important of late.

Ekblad could return some assets to add in July, younger players that have a couples years of RFA left with some upside to offset the big signings above.

I think Bob stays one more year and he sees where Knight is, he's been really good or rough, still so young.

PanthersHockey

Jun 11, 2011
They don't really have any holes. They have a pretty decent healthy scratched D in Mikkola right now. Maybe another 3rd line winger and they have cap space for an addition at the deadline. The team is really solid top to bottom. They are a team that would get away with adding a guy like the Oilers did in Bjugstad last deadline for a 3rd and prospect.

Jack Roslovic, Dominik Kubalik or Anthony Duclair could be depth options for likely a 4th rounder, maybe 3rd rounder tops if the market is bare. Maybe they take a swing at a guy like Tarasenko. Much like Monahan and Henrique I see these guys going for a 2nd +. Really don't think not having a 1st would hamper them making some additions.
I think you mean Josh Mahura and not Mikkola, who's paired with Montour.
If anything, I do agree they need a 3rd line winger so Cousins can move down to the 4th.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I don't see them moving Knight. Hopefully he gets the help he needs and can return to form, and if he does do that, he'll be the underpaid goalie that can man the crease while Bob's contract runs out.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I think you mean Josh Mahura and not Mikkola, who's paired with Montour.
If anything, I do agree they need a 3rd line winger so Cousins can move down to the 4th.

Mikkola is currently listed as a healthy scratch on cap friendly. Even if he isn't, the point is they have depth on D.

I was honestly surprised to see him listed that way on there hence my mentioning it. Maybe he just sat a single game or it's a mistake.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Don't see a big swing this year, likely a middle 6 player (buy low on a struggling shooter or more 2 way player with above average shooting).

Forsling and Reinhart are likely his top two decisions on UFAs, Montour won't command as much as last year because of injury limiting this year in production.

I also don't see Knight moved.
I think one of Bob or Ekblad being moved in July, more so Ekblad as Bob has become a lot more important of late.

Ekblad could return some assets to add in July, younger players that have a couples years of RFA left with some upside to offset the big signings above.

I think Bob stays one more year and he sees where Knight is, he's been really good or rough, still so young.
Bob is riding out that contract either way in Florida unless Florida retains in a big way which doesn't make sense for them.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
Mikkola is currently listed as a healthy scratch on cap friendly. Even if he isn't, the point is they have depth on D.

I was honestly surprised to see him listed that way on there hence my mentioning it. Maybe he just sat a single game or it's a mistake.

Has to injury/rest day.

He's been a surprisingly good add to the blueline.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Is Knight available? Because.... calling the Edmonton Oilers!

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Bob is riding out that contract either way in Florida unless Florida retains in a big way which doesn't make sense for them.

With the current goaltending market and the play of Bobrovsky the last ~2 years, he's a $6 to 6.5 million dollar goalie on most nights. The odd night he's Playoff Bob and worth $8 million.

I think $3.5 to 4 million retention is fair.
Things have changed with FLAs recent SC run and I agree, doesn't make sense this July to move Bob but with one year left, it may be time to move on.
Ekblad seems more likely to be moved.

Reactions: Mase and Laus723

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
IMO, not forseeing any injuries, Panthers really just need to address the 3rd line RW spot.
Get Cousins to the 4th line full time and get someone with a hint of scoring touch.

I don't think Zito is desperate to move Knight, even with his recent production in the AHL/cap hit. His value is at an all time low anyways.

Doubt they consider moving Samoskevich unless the player they are getting is cheap/has term/uspide.

I expect a minor trade(s) to bolster the roster.
Devils would be interested in Knight. Would a deal for Alex Holtz suit. Florida gets cap relief and a young 3RW with further upside.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
With the current goaltending market and the play of Bobrovsky the last ~2 years, he's a $6 to 6.5 million dollar goalie on most nights. The odd night he's Playoff Bob and worth $8 million.

I think $3.5 to 4 million retention is fair.
Things have changed with FLAs recent SC run and I agree, doesn't make sense this July to move Bob but with one year left, it may be time to move on.
Ekblad seems more likely to be moved.
Bob has 2 years left after this season

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Any move we make will likely be minimal and for this season only. We stood pat last year out of necessity and it worked out.

Friedlander71

Oct 2, 2023

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad