what can Linden do to ensure we got better treatment from the ref

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
First of all, have a coach that can handle the refs. When Ferland is charging someone every shift, Desjardins should call the referee over and have a talk with him about what he's going to allow and what he will call.

Second, it's not so much the Canucks get bad treatment as much as it's that the officials in the NHL are incompetent.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
The referees and officials are terrible. How Ferland was able to get away with his late hits and constant charging is beyond one's grasp. McMillan penalty was unnecessary, cheap and borderline. At that stage of the game, you give a desperate team bit a benefit of doubt and put away your ****ing whistle and not raise your hand up based on what that flames clown was getting away with.

If you're going to give a player an infraction for miniscule reasons, you better even it up someway or another and not simply control the game because of your blatant bias. Vrbata was hooked and tripped infront of the officials and NOTHING was done about it in two occasions.

However, they weren't a main reason we lost this series. Just another part as to why we did.

Also apparently a clean hit or a small nudge on Gaudreau ALWAYS gets you a penalty for some reason. Bloody bizarre.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Outside of the constant charging by Ferland being let go but Canucks getting called it was pretty evenly called. Ferland's charging wasn't the reason we lost. 1-2-3-4 lets play sbieksa some more.

corker

Aug 11, 2007
I agree the McMillan call was a head scratcher... but the Refs also didn't blow a 3-0 lead.

I do however think the the refereeing in general, league-wide, is in need of improvement. What is called from game to game, or even period to period is wildly inconsistent. The league obviously mandates game management, and as long as that is their philosophy, refing is going to be garbage. I don't know how they think it ads to the entertainment of the game. It just causes anger and frustration amonsts fans. And allows players to take liberties on each other when the definition of a penalty is constantly changing.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I agree the McMillan call was a head scratcher... but the Refs also didn't blow a 3-0 lead.

I do however think the the refereeing in general, league-wide, is in need of improvement. What is called from game to game, or even period to period is wildly inconsistent. The league obviously mandates game management, and as long as that is their philosophy, refing is going to be garbage. I don't know how they think it ads to the entertainment of the game. It just causes anger and frustration amonsts fans. And allows players to take liberties on each other when the definition of a penalty is constantly changing.

Yeah, refs are terrible. Team needs to learn to take advantage of that by being the hammer instead of the nail.

corker

Aug 11, 2007
Yeah, refs are terrible. Team needs to learn to take advantage of that by being the hammer instead of the nail.

You could be right. It sometimes feels like the more physical teams have a higher threshold of what is a roughing or charge or slash. Like its okay that they push the envelope on a call cause its expected.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Out of all the series we lost over the last 8 or so years I thought this was the one we get screwed on the least. We had the #2 PK, if anything we should have been taking more penalties while charging their 25+ minute dmen on every shift instead of playing like a bunch of pansies. Play better and more calls will go your way.

:laugh: That's the most disturbing part... When we got matched up with Calgary I said well at least the refs won't skew this in the other direction.

Canadian teams just have it tough. Call it conspiracy or whatever but you won't convince me otherwise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad