What are your top 5 Johnny Gaudreau games as a Flame?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Top 5 Johnny Gaudreau games as a Flame?

• Total voters

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yesterday was a tough day, saying that last goodbye to Johnny.

In celebration of his remarkable career in Calgary, I am trying to compile some of his best/most memorable games to watch with my Dad this weekend, and was hoping you guys could help jog my memory.

Some of the top games I thought of:
  • Dec 2014 vs LA: Natural Hat trick to come back from down 3-0 late in the game.
  • Apr 2015 vs LA: 1g 1a in a dominant game to beat out LA for the last playoff spot.
  • Apr 2015 vs VAN: 1g 2a in game 6 to complete to 3 goal comeback and clinch the series.
  • Dec 2015 vs Boston: 3g 1a, including the OT winner.
  • Dec 2018 vs CBJ: 2g 2a in style, driving the Flames to overcome an early 3 goal deficit.
  • Mar 2019 vs NJD: 3g and career high 6 point game to lead the comeback.
  • Jan 2022 vs STL: 1g 3a in an complete globetrottering of the Blues by the top line
  • Mar 2022 vs Edm: 5 5v5 assists, 4 of them primary, including some absolutely unreal setups as the globetrotting continued
  • May 2022 vs Dallas: 1g 1a in game 7, including the OT winner. He was unbelievable that entire game.

One thing that I noticed when compiling this list is just how many of these games had the Flames trailing by multiple goals early on, only for Johnny to take things over. They trailed in 7 of the 9 games I listed, and trailed by multiple goals in 5 of them. Pretty incredible.

There were so many great games with great moments in that rookie year, that really was an incredible season. Lots to choose from in 2018-19 and 2021-22 as well. I feel like there were some really memorable games vs Nashville, Winnipeg, and Philly, but not sure if they make the cut.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Wasn't there a game, shortly after Johnny entered the league, where Drew Doughty tried to check Johnny in the LA zone and Johnny totally embarrassed Doughty ... as in pants around his ankles embarrassed. Or am I confusing Gaudreau with another Flame?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I think you got most of them, my mind went to this one:

I believe that's the first time we got to see Johnny play 3 on 3 (where he's the most prolific scorer of all time IIRC).

Also even though it wasn't in a Flames jersey, him playing for the U23 NA team might also deserve a spot on Johnny's greatest hits. I think he was the best player on a team with McDavid, Mackinnon and Matthews (Matthews and McDavid were teenagers but still). He was dominant against Sweden.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think you got most of them, my mind went to this one:

I believe that's the first time we got to see Johnny play 3 on 3 (where he's the most prolific scorer of all time IIRC).

Also even though it wasn't in a Flames jersey, him playing for the U23 NA team might also deserve a spot on Johnny's greatest hits. I think he was the best player on a team with McDavid, Mackinnon and Matthews (Matthews and McDavid were teenagers but still). He was dominant against Sweden.

His performance against Sweden was unbelievable. Mackinnon should have scored 6 goals that game lol.

His game against Canada in the WJCs might be worth it too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dack

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’m not really great at remembering certain games. Hard to really differentiate between Johnny’s games. He was just so consistently electric. As exciting as a player to watch in the history of the game.

The ones mentioned are the ones I remember. I’ll also add his WJC games and his first season in the frozen four as moments where I was convinced he was going to be a special player.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I always thought it was such a pity he never got to play for USA at the Olympics.

There was a moment there with our strong American core where I might have had a soft spot for their country had they sent some Flames.

The most iconic Gaudreau game has to be the natural hat trick against LA. Changed the course of the team for the next 7 seasons after that

Remembering his best goals comes more naturally for me than games

Exhibit A:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
All phenomenal pulls.
I honestly have a hard time remembering specifics, but these all are ones I remembered.

I'll say this. Pretty much exactly a decade ago, like almost to the day, he was at the Young Stars Classic in Penticton. I recall watching those and making the remark 'he's miles beyond everyone else at this tournament'. He wasn't off-the-charts in terms of his production, I want to say he had a couple points in three games or three in three, something of the sort... but watching him on the ice, there was always something happening, it's been used a lot, but Electric would be a good term.

Crazy to think that was 10 years ago, and how right we were about what kind of player he would become. I recall all those 'he's going to get crushed by NCAA players'... then 'he's going to have a hard time transitioning to the NHL'... then 'it's just a matter of time before a Dman ends his career.' then he's a multi-time all-star and one of the top 10 players to ever put on a Flames jersey.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
My brain just doesn't work in a way where I recall game performances, I recall moments and conversations best... I remember a Convo with I think it was @Johnny Hoxville where we talked about Gaudreau when he was in college and agreed that he would either become an all-star, or simply not make it because of his toolset.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
My brain just doesn't work in a way where I recall game performances, I recall moments and conversations best... I remember a Convo with I think it was @Johnny Hoxville where we talked about Gaudreau when he was in college and agreed that he would either become an all-star, or simply not make it because of his toolset.
I remember saying he had a 1 in 3 chance of making the NHL, happy I was proven wrong.

As for the original topic, not so much a big game, for me it was him in overtime and his zone entries on the PP. Flames have missed that skill since he left.

Reactions: Fig

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I remember saying he had a 1 in 3 chance of making the NHL, happy I was proven wrong.

As for the original topic, not so much a big game, for me it was him in overtime and his zone entries on the PP. Flames have missed that skill since he left.
I was about 50-50, but Hox was all-hype he was probably 80-20 for Johnny being a star

Reactions: Fig and Zirakzigil

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The opener of the 2018-19 season was memorable. You could see the gato line magic almost right away.

I still remember Gaudreau’s cross ice pass to lindholm on the pp. He had a few that season, but that one I’ll always remember.

Gaudreau’s 5 pt game against Edmonton was also fun. He made the oilers his bitch that game.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The opener of the 2018-19 season was memorable. You could see the gato line magic almost right away.

I still remember Gaudreau’s cross ice pass to lindholm on the pp. He had a few that season, but that one I’ll always remember.

Gaudreau’s 5 pt game against Edmonton was also fun. He made the oilers his bitch that game.
It really was the whole team too. He literally setup at least 1 5v5 goal against every Oilers dman that night. In fact, only 2 Oilers skaters (Kassian and Shore) avoided getting a minus from a Gaudreau setup that night. And they each only played 2-3 mins of 5v5 time vs Johnny, who had a combined 87% xG% vs them.

Maybe the Oilers should have stopped putting Bouchard out on the ice with him lol.

Fig

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I remember as he started getting recognition, many players realized he was a wisp and hard to catch. So who took it upon himself to level him in the neutral zone? Pavel Datsyuk.

Then there was another time where Johnny went and did a hard forecheck and hit Big Buff into the boards then skated away.

I also seem to recall one play where he realized the goalie was cheating, so he skated into the corner and then wopped the puck off the side of the goalie's head and into the net from a crazy angle.

Another where the game was getting scrappy and he pulled a punch on another player and that player flinched pretty significantly. I don't think that player was trying to embellish. I think he was truly surprised that there was a fist flying at his face from someone as small as Johnny.

Reactions: Dack

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I'm also terrible at remembering specific moments within games. So I'll say the whole world cup of hockey. That was his real coming out party where he showed he belonged with the best of best. Especially that comment from Jon Cooper during a powerplay that featured the likes of McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, etc., and where he said, 'get the puck to Johnny, he's a feeder' or something along those lines.

Such a shame that we never got to see Gaudreau on the Olympic stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad