What are the most pessimistic and optimistic NHL fan bases?

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
Leafs fans are the Dallas Cowboys fans of the NHL--They are overly-optomistic and claim they're winning it all before/during the season, only for them to epically fail come playoff time.

Pessimistic has to be Sabres fans. As a NY Jets fan, I can relate to not seeing my team in the playoffs for over a decade. The last two times they made it to the playoffs, they were one win away from 2 straight Super Bowl appearances...

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Pretty sure all fanbases are probably pretty much the same in this regard. People aren't as unique as they like to think they are.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Pessimistic:

:flyers:sabres:blues:flames

Optimistic:

:wings:pens:stars:ducks
HFPenguins is not that optimistic. Maybe the fanbase is more optimistic overall simply because of the star power and 5 Cups, but I could put several other teams ahead of em.

In fact, there are several fanbases, especially in Canada, who fit both most optimistic and most pessimistic, depending on what is going on with the team, its prospects, and overall direction.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I’m surprised at how toxic the Avs boards are. I see a lot of pessimistic comments on the main boards from a select couple of Avs fans which prompts me to go stalking their own boards. Very surprised the sheer amount of hate Rantanen gets and some posters even trash talking Makar, calling him Frail Kale and other shit and that how he’s going to bolt to Alberta? lol

Georgiev hate is funny though and deserved. God that dude sucks and reminds me of Cloutier.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I can easily say the most pessimistic fans are my fellow Flyer fans...they are so bad that I barely spend anytime on that board....honestly they are all either teenagers or really immature adults....their negativity is borderline psychotic.....I don't know if it is a Flyer thing or just a Philly sports thing but I have never come across a more childish lot then them......

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I doubt we have the numbers but I got a minnesota top 5 dark souls of misery and negativity that can compete with anyone in the world.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Leafs fans are the Dallas Cowboys fans of the NHL--They are overly-optomistic and claim they're winning it all before/during the season, only for them to epically fail come playoff time.
1000000362.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Realgud

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Optimistic: Bruins. I could be bias but I have quite a few Boston-fan friends and they think the B's were a bounce or two away from winning 19 of the last 23 Stanley Cups.

My Best-Carey

• Haha
Reactions: Crow

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The Torts defense force is just sad and weird.

20 years
17 seasons as a coach
7 seasons getting bounced in the first round
7 seasons missing the playoffs

I want the Flyers to strive for more than finishing 12-20 every year and praying for a miracle run in the playoffs when they do make it in.
He did win that shiny trophy though…

1722069865726.jpeg

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
He did win that shiny trophy though…

View attachment 897353

Look at the quality of the picture and that f***ing suit to realize how long ago that was. In the 20 years following this picture his accomplishments are:

Made the conference finals once
Upset Tampa in the first round

That picture is looking like a fluke.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Look at the quality of the picture and that f***ing suit to realize how long ago that was. In the 20 years following this picture his accomplishments are:

Made the conference finals once
Upset Tampa in the first round

That picture is looking like a fluke.
Well in his defense the teams he’s coached have not always been the best and yet he’s managed to get them into the playoffs and it’s not like he’s the lone wolf when it does come to missing out on some expectations - look at Paul Maurice …God bless him for finally winning it, but how many years has it taken him?

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I would say that the Blackhawks fans aren’t depressed or pessimistic, just resolute right now. Paradoxically optimistic, even.

We know there’s another 1-2 years of inconsistent and poor play…more losing than winning. We also accept and even hope for a mediocre ‘24-‘25 season and one more top five pick in 2025. After that, the expectations will rise.

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I think fans for the most part are much different then they are here. no matter how much I hate some teams and the other way around I always find in person fans show alot of respect to each other

obviously you get bad fans from all teams though

Reactions: Rich Nixon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad