Movies: What are the Biggest Oscar Snubs Ever?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Off the top of my head

Leo losing to McConaughey in 2014. Yes MM was great in DBC but I felt like this was LDC's best performance.

Scorsese losing to Costner in 1990. I'm sorry but Goodfellas was just do damn good. Likewise, not sure how Goodfellas didn't win best adapted screenplay.

Bradley Cooper was unquestionably robbed of Best Actor in 2015. He literally was Chris Kyle.

Matt Damon should have won Best Actor this past Oscars but Leo was due for one so I can see why it turned out the way it did.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Umm no, outside of Ledger I don't think it's a great film.

I'd say it's a pretty great film and really balanced crowd pleasing popcorn elements with serious themes, and very well executed direction. It's the type of film I wish we would see more of. Comic book movies have defined this current era in movies, and TDK still stands as probably the most respected m

I'd definitely say it deserved a nomination, and it's exclusion is what lead to the expanded nominations. At the least, it's a more deserving film than Benjamin Button.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Sam Rockwell didn't even get nominated for his performance in Moon. :help:

Ralph Fiennes should have won best supporting actor in 1993.

I never felt Tommy Lee Jones deserved an Oscar for The Fugitive. He was very good, and I love that movie, but it just didn't seem worthy of an Oscar to me. I would have given it to Malkovich before Jones.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The worst: 2008 in the "foreign language" best film category: Departures (admittedly a good little movie) winning over three exceptional films--Revanche, Waltz with Bashir and The Class.

I have big problems with:
Gladiator winning over Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

)
Are you not entertained?

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
Annie Hall (which I enjoyed) beating Star Wars and Chariots of Fire beating Raiders of the Lost Ark for best picture upset the geek in me.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Most everyone missed Shawshank Redemption when it came out (including me). It came back with a vengeance later on DVD. Today it is one of the highest rated movies ever.

A lot has to so with how movies are promoted by the studios. The Academy Awards aren't bulletproof on this either. It's the business.

Today the big budget films are for the 16-30 demographic. They are the ones still going in droves to the movie theatres. HBO is the home of the older demographic. With that said, I don't see why the AA would shun today's sci-fi blockbusters, I think there is a certain amount of snobbery there. A lot of today's action flicks don't get respect (are considered populist moneymakers, not dramatic achievers) .

And Shawshank should prolly be given some historical achievement Award by the Academy now that the dust has settled (actors get them). It was definitely a film that was overlooked (even by mistake).

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Brokeback Mountain is a great movie.

It's not that great at all. Don't get why people go crazy for it.

Shakespeare in Love is a great movie. Not upset by it's win and wouldn't call the others missing out a snub.

The English Patient is a good movie if a bit long. Fargo would be a good winner but don't consider it a snub.

Ralph Fiennes should have won in 93 as stated above.

A big snub to me is Jack Lemmon not getting nominated for Glengarry Glen Ross. He was so good in that movie.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
For me I felt Leo deserved to win for Django Unchained over Christoph Walz.

When he first got on screen the movie basically became his. He commanded the screen every second he was on it.

I really believe he was a lot more deserving of an Oscar for that performance but than the Revenant but didn't even get nominated. I thought that was absurd. When I think of Django I don't think of Walz. I think of DiCaprio.

Ben Grimm

I can't stand the rain ☔
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Am I not entertained by what? I thought Gladiator was a good movie; I thought Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was a great movie.
Hasbro, you have to understand. Similar to Bruce Wayne, something happened in kihei's childhood so that he suffers from a more general form of Anglophobia. He's not anti-British though, he just dislikes all English speaking film and music from any English speaking country and loves all international film and music that are not in the English language. ;)

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I actually think Apocalypto not even getting nominated for an oscar was a pretty big snub, but it came out almost immediately after mel gibsons dui so what are you going to do.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Annie Hall (which I enjoyed) beating Star Wars and Chariots of Fire beating Raiders of the Lost Ark for best picture upset the geek in me.

Annie Hall and Star Wars are my two all time favourite movies. If it came out any other year, I'd say Star Wars was robbed for Best Picture. Not in 1977.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Hasbro, you have to understand. Similar to Bruce Wayne, something happened in kihei's childhood so that he suffers from a more general form of Anglophobia. He's not anti-British though, he just dislikes all English speaking film and music from any English speaking country and loves all international film and music that are not in the English language. ;)
Zut alors! Nicht so schnell, mein Freund. Cosa indignazione è questo? 扔一只蜥蜴, senor. имейте славный день.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Yeah but you also liked American Sniper. :sarcasm:

(I'm just joking btw, don't get mad. ;))

I did like it. I don't think it was best picture quality...but it was a good flick. I really liked Bradley Cooper in it though, but I am a former soldier...so it affected me differently than it would somebody else.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Shawshank Redemption is literally the most overrated movie there is.

Based on what I've seen in this thread/board, that title most certainly belongs to Brokeback Mountain.

Shawshank is a legitimately great movie (while overrated a little [myself included]). Brokeback Mountain is just.....eh.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Based on what I've seen in this thread/board, that title most certainly belongs to Brokeback Mountain.

Shawshank is a legitimately great movie (while overrated a little [myself included]). Brokeback Mountain is just.....eh.

Yea Brokeback Mountain is pretty awful. Like the scene where he boots that guy in the jaw, and it's so obvious that he misses...while fireworks are going off in the background. The whole movie was awkward and forced. It just seemed fake. They start going at each other 20 minutes into the movie...I've slept in a tent with other dudes before and Ive never had sex with any of them before lol.

member 51464

Nah. It may be on the top half of the bell curve, but it is kind of a schmalzy joke.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I wouldn't go that far. Although when the best part about your movie is Jake Gyllenhaal's acting, your movie isn't in the highest echelon of movies.

Err, Nightcrawler. Considered one of the best movies of 2014.

On topic with this thread, Gyllehaal is widely considered to be snubbed out of a nomination from this film.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad